OT: Calgary almost made the biggest blunder of all time by signing ROR

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Penalty Kill Icing*

Everyone knows Calgary signed ROR to offersheet yesterday, and Avalanche had potential compensation of 1st + 3rd round picks had they not matched. But Avs matched.

But, Calgary would've lost 1st and 3rd round picks for nothing! What surfaced out today was that Ryan O'Reilly had to clear waivers before playing for Flames (this rule doesn't apply if he returns to his own team). This comes from the fact that O'Reilly played in KHL game even after regular season started in NHL (he played on Jan 21, so he must clear waivers).

Don't know who's more foolish here:
Feaster: for making a deal, where was going to give away 1st and 3rd round pick for a player who would've gone to Columbus!
Sherman: For not using this as a leverage against Flames to get a separate lop-sided deal, and threatening Feaster of not matching the offer-sheet if Flames didn't accept it.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013...tunate_colorado_avalanche_match_ryan_oreilly/
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Too funny all around :laugh:

@mods: I know this is not Leafs related, but this is too big to miss for other Leafs fans who don't check the assigned thread. Let it be here, and it will eventually die out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
How long until Feaster gets canned for his stupidity?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I see it that Feaster was doing the Avs a favor. No suprise Feaster was in Colorado the day (and the day before) the offer sheet was signed and matched

Penalty Kill Icing*

I read on Sens board that Flames would've even lost the signing bonus. :biglaugh:

(Unconfirmed, but I think that makes sense).

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Huge missed opportunity by the Avs. Both by not figuring this out on their own and using it in their ROR negotiations, and by not exploring their other options before matching.

xbr

Aug 13, 2005
If true then that is pretty stupid. Honestly there is probably a better chance of collusion between Feaster and Sherman.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Wow. My god. This is all just a bunch of the dumbest **** in hockey I've seen. I thought Calgary was totally stupid to make that offer when your that bad, and I don't see why COL would bother to match. It's all ridiculous.

Now this. unbelievable.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Huge missed opportunity by the Avs. Both by not figuring this out on their own and using it in their ROR negotiations, and by not exploring their other options before matching.

This is so true. It essentially negates all his rights as an RFA. Sign with COL for whatever they say. That's about it.

Also a huge gaff by his agents. They should've known how to protect their agents rights.

Macoun4life

Mar 6, 2011
Southwestern Ontario
I see it that Feaster was doing the Avs a favor. No suprise Feaster was in Colorado the day (and the day before) the offer sheet was signed and matched

I agree. I got the feeling right away that somehow Feaster and the Avs had made some kind of agreement that may show up later. The way the Avs matched right away made it seem like they knew it was coming. No way Feaster would have been unaware that ROR would have had to clear waivers.

It could be possible that the Avs and the ROR camp weren't communicating, so they got a third party in move things along.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Notice that the offer sheet was only for two years. Seems unusually short term. By matching it, the Avs are not allowed to trade ROR for a year.
It looks like the Avs just bought themselves some time to try convincing him to sign long term. If they can't convince him, they can auction him off next time around.

I feel like there are details of this whole situation that are never going to be 'official'.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
How does your management make this mistake? Do they not think about what they're doing and the effects it may actually have on their team? This is just so desperate by the Flames.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I still can't believe general managers of this caliber can make this mistake. If they are both not fired within a week I will be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->