GDT: Calgary (4-3-0) @ NYR (2-4-1), 5PM - SN

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dube and Jankowski are as good together as I hoped they'd be. I was disappointed we didn't actually get to see that unit in the third after the shuffle.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brodie's an interesting case, because his overall game is really strong... except he pretty much has an inexcusable brain-dead moment in every single game. Hard to compare with guys who are worse players overall, but usually avoid "the big one," like Stone or even by a lesser margin Hamonic.

A player who had so-called braindead moments on every cup winning team in the last five years:

Muzzin (2014)
Seabrook (2015)
Letang (2016)
Schultz (2017)
Orlov (2018)

It's hockey. You need a mix of different players and players of Brodie's type - two-way defensemen with creative, risky play, are an important piece.

Reactions: Calculon

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A player who had so-called braindead moments on every cup winning team in the last five years:

Muzzin (2014)
Seabrook (2015)
Letang (2016)
Schultz (2017)
Orlov (2018)

It's hockey. You need a mix of different players and players of Brodie's type - two-way defensemen with creative, risky play, are an important piece.

They have one every game?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ask their fans. All basically whipping boys in their cup year.
Yeah, I can definitely see it. It's one thing that we're pretty myopic about as fans of one particular team. We assume good players on other teams are infallible because all we see are the highlight reels. It's why I like listening to NHL Radio and hearing from beat writers from every team. You get to hear opinions that you never would've thought about. Then I remember that Eric Francis represents the Flames in this regard and that therefore all of the opinions are likely worse than trolls on the main board. And that makes me sad.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, I can definitely see it. It's one thing that we're pretty myopic about as fans of one particular team. We assume good players on other teams are infallible because all we see are the highlight reels. It's why I like listening to NHL Radio and hearing from beat writers from every team. You get to hear opinions that you never would've thought about. Then I remember that Eric Francis represents the Flames in this regard and that therefore all of the opinions are likely worse than trolls on the main board. And that makes me sad.

I also find some players just find another gear in the playoffs, where you're playing the same team for six or seven games and the pre-game preparation is a bit more focused. Brodie's been our best player in the three playoff series he's played.

Brodie is going to have a perfectly solid year and there are going to be fans whining about him at points.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You can say I am blind but I am seeing Brodie making bonehead plays every game and it costed the Flames.

His good plays have not been enough for me to ignore his shortcomings

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It doesn't help when fans are specifically honed in one player's mistakes more than another.

Prior to being traded, Hamilton was going to be our future, Norris trophy-winning #1D who could do no wrong while TJ Brodie was supposedly costing this team game after game after game last season.

Right now the same thing is happening with Mike Smith. All the big saves he makes in a game, as a result of the team's defensive breakdowns, get erased in fans' minds whenever there's a goal against. Then people trot out the "good goalies consistently bail their D-men out" criticism

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You can say I am blind but I am seeing Brodie making bonehead plays every game and it costed the Flames.

His good plays have not been enough for me to ignore his shortcomings
You're not wrong, really. He is making at least one big error in pretty much every game, sometimes two. Whether the good outweighs the bad is basically a matter of personal taste, but I can understand why a more reliable but less talented defenceman might be more appealing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
We assume good players on other teams are infallible because all we see are the highlight reels.
This is very true and also incredibly annoying. Especially since it can quite easily be mitigated by reading the other teams subforums here. Take the aggregate of a handful of GDT's over the course of a season and one can get a pretty good idea of the strength and weaknesses of any given player.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and people don't seem to recognize that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is very true and also incredibly annoying. Especially since it can quite easily be mitigated by reading the other teams subforums here. Take the aggregate of a handful of GDT's over the course of a season and one can get a pretty good idea of the strength and weaknesses of any given player.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and people don't seem to recognize that.
Well, hell, just look at the fact that a "fix the PP" thread popped up yesterday with our PP sitting at about league average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad