Caleb Jones recalled from Bakersfield UPDATE#2 Recalled from Bako 12/9/19

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tippett really doesn't like Persson, does he?
I don't like calling up Jones as a fill in for a week or two and I certainly wouldn't like it if he's warming up the press box like Lagesson did. I want Jones called up when there's a real opportunity to steal a spot, that opportunity isn't there now.

IMO, they should have called up Lowe until Larsson returns and let him be the designated press box sitter.

At some point if Jones shows to be ready then I'd expect a trade of one of our defensemen for forward help to happen. Right now Holland and Tippett need to see what Jones can do at the NHL level.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
jeezus guys - I thought some of you were as old as me - and never tried a white Russian?

It's essentially if you take a coke float and melt the ice cream, add some coffee flavour and some bite from the vodka and yummy!

This old fart approves! (of both the callup and the drink :) )

Old people these days...

Don't party like old people did when I was a kid...

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Keep Jones up with Larsson back

Klefbom - Persson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell, Benning

Manning in the far realm.

I don't think Benning has done so bad to get kicked out of the line up, Russell on the other hand....

For me:
Nurse/Bear
Klefbom/Larrson(Klefbom needs someone who can cover defensivly, he needs Lars)
Jones/Benning

Trade Russell off to anyone that can take his salary.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Tip seems to like 14F and 7D, I don't think he'll keep 8.

I think we'll run:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Benning/Jones

Manning to the far realm and Persson in the AHL for a couple weeks.
That's what I think to start, but if Jones does well enough, and I suspect he will, perhaps they find a home for Russell or Benning.

Reactions: gordonhught

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's what I think to start, but if Jones does well enough, and I suspect he will, perhaps they find a home for Russell or Benning.

I would have spent most of this past summer trying to find a home for Russell so you're preaching to the choir here.

I looked at his buyout this summer and it's pretty ugly. Only save 1M because of bonuses, thanks Chia. We'd have to trade him at max retention or just live with him as the 7D.

Reactions: Aerchon

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If Jones does well enough to stay up for the long haul, that creates all kinds of interesting scenarios with trade possibilities in season and beyond. Would a team like the Jets be open to taking a look at Russell or Larsson in exchange for a forward?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Jones does well enough to stay up for the long haul, that creates all kinds of interesting scenarios with trade possibilities in season and beyond. Would a team like the Jets be open to taking a look at Russell or Larsson in exchange for a forward?

I don't think we'd have a hard time finding a suitor for Larsson. Even with a poor year last year he's still a top 4 defenceman on most teams in the league. Russell... is a different story.

The challenge is I don't think Tippett is enamoured with Persson and he definitely doesn't like playing lefties on the right. I'm not sold that they'll shop Larsson, even though I think they should.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would have spent most of this past summer trying to find a home for Russell so you're preaching to the choir here.

I looked at his buyout this summer and it's pretty ugly. Only save 1M because of bonuses, thanks Chia. We'd have to trade him at max retention or just live with him as the 7D.
I'll say this, he probably doesn't make Winnipeg worse, they have the space and time for a player like him if the Oilers were just looking to move him out.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think the Jets could just take Russell.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean, our 'gritty' guys can't really defend either. Give me a skilled player that can attack and move the puck but needs work defensively vs a player that can't attack OR defend.

Who said anything about ‘gritty’?

C1882184-6737-45F3-8A29-429E1CEB68E7.jpeg

You develop defensively in the AHL. Jones by all accounts has being doing great there and deserves a good look. If he is not a liability in his end here then perhaps Persson can go down and work on his defensive game in the AHL for a bit when Larsson comes back and be a better player overall with more skill.

But you still need to defend and Russell/Benning have been fine as a bottom pair much to the consternation of many on this board.

Reactions: Aerchon

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Wonder if Manning injured his hand in the fight, or if it was already injured. Noticed he switched to a lefty stance during the fight; pretty sure he's right-dominant.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Is it true they will start Jones on the same pairing as Klefbom tonight?

If so. Huge gamble and foolish imo.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Is it true they will start Jones on the same pairing as Klefbom tonight?

If so. Huge gamble and foolish imo.

It is a gamble. I don't know if I would call it a huge one or foolish.

Both the Benning-Russell and Bear-Nurse pairings have chemistry together. Why would you break them up?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Where else do you slot him in? Bottom pair so we have to endure Russell on his offside in the top 4? I'll take my chances with Jones, thanks.
This is about what I was thinking (though I'm surprised he got directly inserted into the lineup), he's similar to Persson, can move the puck and skate, so more useful along side Klefbom.

I think people forget that he and Larsson were being asked to do way to much last year in his short stint and there's just so much more help now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00