Caleb Jones recalled from Bakersfield UPDATE#2 Recalled from Bako 12/9/19

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It’s a shame about Mandog’s hand injury. As usual, he was sticking up for a teammate and giving his all every shift.

Hurry back Brandon!!

.. but can he play hockey?

Manning fighting hard to be the one of the 10 potential 3rd pairing guys,

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I have a bit of a thing with Rum...a carry over from my teens.
Rum and I dont get along.

Thats said I havent tried it with eggnog and I do really LIKE eggnog. :nod:

I am very open to trying a White Russian. :D

jeezus guys - I thought some of you were as old as me - and never tried a white Russian?

It's essentially if you take a coke float and melt the ice cream, add some coffee flavour and some bite from the vodka and yummy!

This old fart approves! (of both the callup and the drink :) )

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I can’t really recall how Jones looked on the right side last season up here or if he plays that side in Bakersfield. I would like to see him in a position to succeed. There’s no reason he can’t have as much of an impact for us as Bear has this year. I just don’t see him playing over Russell so it’s likely if he gets in it has to be on the right side with Klefbom.

I feel like a D of

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Persson
Russell - Jones

Would be our best option just unlikely to see.
No chance Benning is coming out.
It will be Pearson or Russell if hes banged up.

optimism

Jun 28, 2015
Edmonton
Jones.....why...Holland breaking with his stated policy....a good policy....hope there is a good reason!

What policy?

He has a history of over-ripening players in the AHL, and leaving them down for at least a season.
Jones has played in the AHL since as early as 2015-16 and has 124 AHL games and 17 NHL games where he played decent to good. He has 10 points in 13 games this far with Bakersfield.

He’s undoubtedly earned this call up. I’m confused why you’re upset with this move.

:huh:

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
jeezus guys - I thought some of you were as old as me - and never tried a white Russian?

It's essentially if you take a coke float and melt the ice cream, add some coffee flavour and some bite from the vodka and yummy!

This old fart approves! (of both the callup and the drink :) )
I consider myself still fairly young, at least not old (I'm 32) and I love a good White Russian. It's very good, especially around this time of the year.

Reactions: subnet

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Very high on Jones. Hope he sticks.
Don't know who he replaces with a healthy lineup long term this season. Takes Russell's spot comfortably next year.
I'm actually 'dreading' Larsson's return a little bit because he has not only been beyond awful for two years, but his style of play is gonna slow us down a lot. Puck won't move out of our zone for the 20+ minutes a night he's about to get.

Reactions: Keggatron

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What policy?

He has a history of over-ripening players in the AHL, and leaving them down for at least a season.
Jones has played in the AHL since as early as 2015-16 and has 124 AHL games and 17 NHL games where he played decent to good. He has 10 points in 13 games this far with Bakersfield.

He’s undoubtedly earned this call up. I’m confused why you’re upset with this move.

:huh:
Perhaps your right. I thought Jones showed relatively poorly in camp. However he is moving the puck fairly well in the A. I guess Holland after talking to Woodward has decided to give him a shot after just the 13 games this season. Maybe the discussion was ---Manning is hurt ....Persson needs 30 games in the A to develop some better defensive instinct and work on skills.....but we need a 7th...

Reactions: optimism

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Before camp started I really thought Jones Bear Lagesson and Persson would all get a cup of coffee early in the season so they could start to determine who could play at speed and who had what skills and what they would need to work on.
Really I thought that Jones and Bear would fight for the 5/6/7 position ....with Persson needing time to adjust in the A. Lagesson I thought after his cup of coffee would need another half season in A getting even better defensively.

I thought Jones held the upper hand slightly going into camp mostly because he showed well on the 3rd pairing last year.
Bear has been a revelation.....Jones dissappointed me in camp....Lagesson is what i thought and Persson is better a moving the puck up ice than i thought he was and worse in the defensive zone....

So one for four? So perhaps my earlier comment was me really trying to get a grasp on the situation....I have hope all four can make it in some capacity....and for two or three years our defensive cap will enable money to be spend on a valuable line driving forward for the second line we seem to lack ...

I guess its even more than that....if we can develop one rookie from the A like Mcleod and after the TD he can play relativley well in the show....and we can trade for that top 6 guy and maybe one bottom six guy.....Then in the off season we pickup a goalie that can challenge KostKo.....maybe we can be a contender next year instead of just fighting for a playoff spot....We certainly in a long time have potential defensive depth....

So yes maybe there was a little desperation in my comment about Jones..."lets not screw up his progression"....and very possibly im wrong again LOL

Reactions: optimism

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Perhaps your right. I thought Jones showed relatively poorly in camp. However he is moving the puck fairly well in the A. I guess Holland after talking to Woodward has decided to give him a shot after just the 13 games this season. Maybe the discussion was ---Manning is hurt ....Persson needs 30 games in the A to develop some better defensive instinct and work on skills.....but we need a 7th...
This is also his last year of waiver eligibility. The team needs to know what they have with him since there could be some interesting decisions to be made with the back end soon.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Jones’ brain farts per 60 has dropped significantly since last season IMO. Still a bit of a riverboat gambler but I like it. Not sure who he slots in for though.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Like it but what are the pairings Tip is looking at then? This does not help our right side conundrum - just put Persson in, warts and all, and keep Russell on 3LD.
So who does Jones replace?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tippett really doesn't like Persson, does he?
I don't like calling up Jones as a fill in for a week or two and I certainly wouldn't like it if he's warming up the press box like Lagesson did. I want Jones called up when there's a real opportunity to steal a spot, that opportunity isn't there now.

IMO, they should have called up Lowe until Larsson returns and let him be the designated press box sitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I expect Jones to supplant Manning and if we're lucky he'll find a way to supplant Russell as well. I really hope he gets some looks.

All of sudden Russell/Benning being #6/7 would mean the team's defense got good.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Matches up with the eye test quite well. Fine bottom pairing guy that got caved in as soon as they tried to move him up the lineup.

Hopefully he's taken some steps forward since camp where he was frankly quite bad.
To be fair, Larsson wasn’t exactly knockin the cover off the ball at the time either.

Reactions: nabob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Cap Friendly has Manning listed as day to day so this call up may be short term especially with Larsson expected back by Tuesdays game vs San Jose.

Manning, Brandon
injury.svg
Hand EDMNov 14, 2019 Day to day
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: