Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I really think we got a steal here. I'm very excited to see how he does this season. I think he'll make us all forget about the Reinhart experiment that got taken away.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really think we got a steal here. I'm very excited to see how he does this season. I think he'll make us all forget about the Reinhart experiment that got taken away.

In my eyes- Jones passed Reinhart as a prospect a year ago. Jones is a much, much better skater, offensively much better and defensively the gap isnt that much. Jones is as pro style of a prospect as you can get imo

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
With Dmen. Goals.assists.points tell only part of the story. Can he play 25 minutes in all situations? How is he in his own zone. The other jones is a monster in all zones

Jones was a monster for USA and was that 22+ min all situations machine. From what Ive seen and read, same goes for his year in WHL

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm starting to think that he not only *could* be a top4 d-man, but that he actually will become a top4 d-man. He has all the tools, including hockey IQ to fill that role eventually. His development over the past two years couldn't be better. Really hyped that it looks like the Oilers finally found a gem in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What's the assumption with him for this season...is he headed back to Portland this season or is he Bakersfield bound?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
What's the assumption with him for this season...is he headed back to Portland this season or is he Bakersfield bound?

Barring a surprising camp he should be in Bakersfield. Not much left for him to do at the junior level

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

100% I'd say going to Bakersfield. He's done in the WHL imo, and needs to play against men and get pro conditioning to continue his development.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Barring a surprising camp he should be in Bakersfield. Not much left for him to do at the junior level

100% I'd say going to Bakersfield. He's done in the WHL imo, and needs to play against men and get pro conditioning to continue his development.

Thanks guys...that's what I kind of thought where'd he'd be. The selfish guy in me was hoping one last season in the WHL so I could see him play against the Tigers this winter lol.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
In my eyes- Jones passed Reinhart as a prospect a year ago. Jones is a much, much better skater, offensively much better and defensively the gap isnt that much. Jones is as pro style of a prospect as you can get imo

I agree. I hated the Reinhart trade the second I heard it. Just a dumb trade IMO. Jones is gonna be a stud. I'm really excited to see him tear up the AHL this season.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think if this kid was even a late first round pick he would be getting so much more hype/notoriety from fans here and other markets. Smooth skating, athletic, 2-way D with excellent reads and puck skills; lethal combination of skill and tools.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think if this kid was even a late first round pick he would be getting so much more hype/notoriety from fans here and other markets. Smooth skating, athletic, 2-way D with excellent reads and puck skills; lethal combination of skill and tools.

We're not used to later round guys coming in and being legit NHL prospects once they turn pro.

Wouldn't be surprised that he impresses bigtime in camp.

I know that Bear had a poor camp last year and IIRC Jones wasn't as impressive as he could've been either. The rookie tournament and preseason games hold a lot of weight for me when evaluating these guys since I don't see much/any of them otherwise. At this point in his career he should at least look the part of a pro defenseman as should Bear.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Jones is a dark horse to make the team out of camp. Paigin too.

Right now we have a hole on LD, while RD is fine. What bizarro world is this...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Jones is a dark horse to make the team out of camp. Paigin too.

Right now we have a hole on LD, while RD is fine. What bizarro world is this...

I wouldnt even say hes that much of a darkhouse. Hes pro size, pro skating and 2 years post draft. Probably a 30% chance, maybe 50% with Sekeras injury (then sent down when hes back). Ofcourse this is barring a dissappointing camp. TM is not afraid to put young guys in the line up fast

Paigin is a dark horse for me tho because he needs to adjust to NA and still a project. Such a ? but so much upside

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Based on Bears recent performance I can't help but feel stoked for when Jones gets his opportunity at a cup of coffee as well. Caleb is a smaller left hand shot version of Seth Jones; with all the razzle dazzle puck handling and skating ability.

According to Gerry Fleming, Caleb has the most flare offensively and relied too much on his athletic ability early on. His issues were without the puck and trying to do too much early on.
Jones has acclimating to the pro game a lot better second half of the season before going out with injury and is another significant dman prospect waiting in the pipeline

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He seems to be struggling defensively if his numbers are any indication. I’ve akways thought bear was a better player with better NHL tools. We’ll see how Jones second pro year goes. Tough start.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He had a goal and an assist in the game that he returned from injury. His skating is a strength while in Bear's case it is a weakness. I've felt that his upside would be a Sekera level player but he needs to get his game on track to finish this season and then carry it into next season. As of now Bear has been the better player at the pro level by a sizable margin.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I guess I'm in the minority believing that defence comes first and offensive numbers are secondary. Some posters tout the offensive stats as if that's the indication of a guy's tools and potential.
If you don't think that teams give more opportunities to guys with high offensive output on their track record, I've got a bridge to sell you.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He seems to be struggling defensively if his numbers are any indication. I’ve akways thought bear was a better player with better NHL tools. We’ll see how Jones second pro year goes. Tough start.
Having a tough AHL season as a rookie isn't a death sentence. Klefbom had issues in the AHL as well and he's done well for himself. Caleb was never going to be a Seth caliber defenseman, but if he can develop into a second pair guy that's great.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Having a tough AHL season as a rookie isn't a death sentence. Klefbom had issues in the AHL as well and he's done well for himself. Caleb was never going to be a Seth caliber defenseman, but if he can develop into a second pair guy that's great.
Don’t disagree. Every player has different development paths. Jones still has potential I just think Bear kind of ended the debate between them. Jones was peddled as the guy with better “pro skills” but Bear has been better at the pro level now too. Jones is still a solid prospect as is Mantha. Be interesting to see how they do next year. Seems like Chiarelli is setting the table for a complete overhaul of Bakersfield next year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Don’t disagree. Every player has different development paths. Jones still has potential I just think Bear kind of ended the debate between them. Jones was peddled as the guy with better “pro skills” but Bear has been better at the pro level now too. Jones is still a solid prospect as is Mantha. Be interesting to see how they do next year. Seems like Chiarelli is setting the table for a complete overhaul of Bakersfield next year.
Yakupov looked a lot better than most of his draft class his first year pro too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad