Confirmed with Link: Cale Makar is a Norris Trophy Finalist

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm confused why I don't see MacDonald getting any votes? That's the real tragedy here.

He's the pre-season favorite for it next year. Voters are going to see the upgrade he is over Graves and hand it to him in a walkover.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
New York did nothing for Fox. He was drafted by Calgary and then he forced his way to New York. Refused to sign with Calgary, refused to sign with Carolina, said “only the Rangers.” They were gifted him.

I'm so tired of people acting like the Rangers were geniuses for bringing Fox in. Every team in the league loved him, but he was only going to go to the Rangers.

It's the exact same scenario as Taylor Hall to Boston. The return Buffalo got was only because he wouldn't go anywhere else.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Please be true, a G package for Jones is just what the doctor ordered. Make it happen Sleepy Joe!

Why? The last two seasons Girard has been as good if not better in certain categories and is signed to a sweetheart contract. If you plan on re-signing Jones he probably will cost at least $5 million a year if not more. You're going the long way to get a similar player who most likely will have a higher cap hit.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Why? The last two seasons Girard has been as good if not better in certain categories and is signed to a sweetheart contract. If you plan on re-signing Jones he probably will cost at least $5 million a year if not more. You're going the long way to get a similar player who most likely will have a higher cap hit.

The difference is playoffs. Nobody would consider trading Girard if he can play as well in the playoffs as he does in the regular season. Alas, Girard struggles in the playoffs and that's why people want him packaged.

Reactions: jabubenice

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm so tired of people acting like the Rangers were geniuses for bringing Fox in. Every team in the league loved him, but he was only going to go to the Rangers.

It's the exact same scenario as Taylor Hall to Boston. The return Buffalo got was only because he wouldn't go anywhere else.
Yah Fox knew what he wanted. He chose his destination and chose wisely. It sucks for Calgary and Carolina that he didn't wanna go there. I be pissed at him if the Avs drafted him but he wanted to play somewhere else.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I just had a look at this.

Interesting. He goes quite in depth on the offer sheet stuff.

Apparently he thinks it’s possible a rival West team might just try to sign Makar to an insanely large contract to either get him, or just f*** Colorado over. Sakic needs to get Makar’s deal done soon to avoid any kind of predatory moves from other teams.

This is the first we’ve heard Colorado linked to Jones in an official capacity that they’ve legit contacted the Jackets. It could be a crazy off-season.

I could be wrong, but I feel like Cale isn't the type to sign an offer sheet in the first place. At least not so early in his career.

He's always so ho-hum, I'm still the young guy, don't want to ruffle any feathers, etc.

If he got an offer sheet, I think he'd probably go to Sakic and tell him about it, and how much it was for, and then they'd just get a deal done themselves.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The problem when comparing Samuel Girard to Seth Jones is that a lot of what Jones does, you can't measure via statistic.

Statistics are great and I use them all the time. They can be fantastic tools to use. However, I don't think you'd find many people that believe Samuel Girard right now is a better defensemen than Seth Jones. There are some that do, but they're in the minority.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
"Girard struggling in the playoffs" is becoming a really annoying commonly spoken lie around here.

He had one bad playoff series. That's it. It hasn't been a regularity for him. It hasn't happened ever series every year. It happened one time, against one of the best teams in the league.

He was fantastic last year for us in the playoffs. Even battling through an injury that caused him to miss the first games of his career, he was really good. And he was good against the Blues.

That series against Vegas was the first series of any playoffs that he played poorly. The fact he's been labeled as this playoff underperformer is just ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as the people solely blaming him for the Avs losing this year when many other guys were just as bad if not worse then him, including one guy who didn't even play for 8 games.

Another factor I think people are quick to forget is just how much Girard was forced to play on the Right Side in the playoffs. Which especially as an undersized player who relies on his high end puck skills and transitional play to be effective, that's a lot harder to do when you're playing on the opposite side.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
"Girard struggling in the playoffs" is becoming a really annoying commonly spoken lie around here.

He had one bad playoff series. That's it. It hasn't been a regularity for him. It hasn't happened ever series every year. It happened one time, against one of the best teams in the league.

He was fantastic last year for us in the playoffs. Even battling through an injury that caused him to miss the first games of his career, he was really good. And he was good against the Blues.

That series against Vegas was the first series of any playoffs that he played poorly. The fact he's been labeled as this playoff underperformer is just ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as the people solely blaming him for the Avs losing this year when many other guys were just as bad if not worse then him, including one guy who didn't even play for 8 games.

Another factor I think people are quick to forget is just how much Girard was forced to play on the Right Side in the playoffs. Which especially as an undersized player who relies on his high end puck skills and transitional play to be effective, that's a lot harder to do when you're playing on the opposite side.
Girard has played almost as much right side as left side in his time in Colorado. That’s where he spent almost all year, which most would agree was his best season yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
G wasn't terrible in the playoffs, but he has had been taken advantage of physically in the D zone in each playoff year.

This isn't the end of the world, but they need someone like EJ to pair with him, so he can be sheltered a little more.

He's too easily exploited in the playoffs without the right partner and Graves isn't good enough for that role unfortunately. Which we saw in the playoffs, as Girard played 31 more minutes with Graves than any other D man, and the next guys were Makar, Nemeth, and Timmins.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

Recency bias and lazy narratives.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

It wasn't even the whole series. He had a really bad game 6, but he had two key primary assists in game 2 just a week earlier. It's literally just the last game of the series that started that narrative.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It wasn't even the whole series. He had a really bad game 6, but he had two key primary assists in game 2 just a week earlier. It's literally just the last game of the series that started that narrative.

It definitely was not just the last game. G was making turnovers and getting bumped off the puck and out battled in front of the net all series, and was at times against the Blues too.

He wasn't terrible, but he was definitely having problems dealing with the forecheck, and with his defensive coverage down low against bigger players.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020

If nothing else a balancing of handedness for out top 4

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think the left hand/right hand thing matters way more in the playoffs. I’m sure the quality of competition plays a big role in this too but last year Girard was unbelievable against Arizona and then became a problem against Dallas. Ironically he played with EJ against AZ and mostly Zadorov/Cole against Dallas.

Retreving the puck and transitioning forward takes an extra second on your weak side. Forechecking and physicality is faster and harder in the playoffs so that extra second makes a big difference. I definitely think it matters.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the left hand/right hand thing matters way more in the playoffs. I’m sure the quality of competition plays a big role in this too but last year Girard was unbelievable against Arizona and then became a problem against Dallas. Ironically he played with EJ against AZ and mostly Zadorov/Cole against Dallas.

Retreving the puck and transitioning forward takes an extra second on your weak side. Forechecking and physicality is faster and harder in the playoffs so that extra second makes a big difference. I definitely think it matters.

Yup... 1000%. He can play the right just fine in the regular season, but he needs to be on the left in the playoffs. When he's targeted like he is, he needs to be setup for success. At very least, Sakic needs to get a RD who is great at puck retrieval and has some size to absorb the physicality.

Reactions: Balthazar

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yup... 1000%. He can play the right just fine in the regular season, but he needs to be on the left in the playoffs. When he's targeted like he is, he needs to be setup for success. At very least, Sakic needs to get a RD who is great at puck retrieval and has some size to absorb the physicality.
How do you feel about one Jones, Seth?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad