Confirmed with Link: Cale Makar is a Norris Trophy Finalist

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Damn, so close for Makar.

Not to be a conspiracy nut, but something is messed up with those votes. it seems that the writers actually put him as third so he wouldn't have enough points to challenge Fox for 1st overall. There is no way in hell writers actually thought he was the third best defenceman in the league right? Not twenty-two times right? RIGHT?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not a big deal Cale lost, but playing 11 more games should not be more important than the player who plays 11 fewer games beating you in most of the offensive categories.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. If Cale missed 11 more games but had 50 more points, would they still give Fox the Norris? Pretty unlikely. So that means production can outweigh games played.

The 3 more points Fox had, came with a shorthanded goal and assist, and a power play assist. Cale led more important categories like goals, game winning goals, and even strength goals, while being roughly the same in others despite playing less games.

Goals

Makar - 8
Fox - 5

Makar - 44
Fox - 47

Game Winning Goals

Makar - 3
Fox - 1

Even Strength Goals

Makar - 4
Fox - 2

Even Strength Points

Makar - 22
Fox - 22

PP Goals

Makar - 4
Fox - 2

PP Points

Makar - 22
Fox - 23

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
To be honest: f*** this awards in a shortened COVID-Season and a regular season where games are only played within the division.

That´s what the league should have done: No awards this season.

And i am really hoping the coming season has 82 games, and every team playes the other 31 at least 2 times. Then we can talk about awards again.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
lol at the meltdown here

Guys enjoy the summer instead of venting about some meaningless Norris vote.

Fox had a fantastic season and Makar missed a decent chunck of games. Either one would have been a deserving winner, at least it didn’t go to Hedman out of pure reputation.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't really have any problems with Fox winning it over Makar, they were pretty neck and neck. I think the whole 'he didn't make the postseason' argument is starting to fade. It's cool for Makar to even be a finalist year two, we joked about it but I never really thought it would happen that fast.

But it's hard for me to even care about personal awards when the people voting for them know less about hockey than half the posters on these boards. Does anyone really think Dater (is he even a member anymore) or Chambers kept their eyes around the league all year well enough to give an authentic vote here? Or did they just vote for their local guy.... I'd imagine that's a common trend around every team's beat writers voting for this award.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
To be honest: f*** this awards in a shortened COVID-Season and a regular season where games are only played within the division.

That´s what the league should have done: No awards this season.

And i am really hoping the coming season has 82 games, and every team playes the other 31 at least 2 times. Then we can talk about awards again.
100% this..

I dont care what anyone did this season. Let's see if McDavid can score at 150 point pace playing a normal 82 game season where he has to travel and play every team in the NHL, or let's see if Fox can keep up a Norris pace in a 82 game season, or even if Grubauer can keep up a Vezina level play in 82 games. Let this players enjoy their awards or Tampa enjoy their 2 covid cups. I'm looking forward to a normal season next year

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
100% this..

I dont care what anyone did this season. Let's see if McDavid can score at 150 point pace playing a normal 82 game season where he has to travel and play every team in the NHL, or let's see if Fox can keep up a Norris pace in a 82 game season, or even if Grubauer can keep up a Vezina level play in 82 games. Let this players enjoy their awards or Tampa enjoy their 2 covid cups. I'm looking forward to a normal season next year

Zero percent chance this happens playing behind the Oilers d core.

Reactions: the_fan

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Fox was a durn good pick coming in the third round. Got to hand it to NY for that. Makar has a ton of time to win a trophy, maybe a Hart to go along with a Norris like Orr?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
LeBrun: Cale Makar an offer sheet target; Seth Jones trade interest from Avs, Flyers, Blackhawks

More from Lebrun on Makar and a potential offer sheet, and Avs now linked to Seth Jones.

Yeah, I just had a look at this.

Interesting. He goes quite in depth on the offer sheet stuff.

Apparently he thinks it’s possible a rival West team might just try to sign Makar to an insanely large contract to either get him, or just f*** Colorado over. Sakic needs to get Makar’s deal done soon to avoid any kind of predatory moves from other teams.

This is the first we’ve heard Colorado linked to Jones in an official capacity that they’ve legit contacted the Jackets. It could be a crazy off-season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Fox was a durn good pick coming in the third round. Got to hand it to NY for that. Makar has a ton of time to win a trophy, maybe a Hart to go along with a Norris like Orr?
New York did nothing for Fox. He was drafted by Calgary and then he forced his way to New York. Refused to sign with Calgary, refused to sign with Carolina, said “only the Rangers.” They were gifted him.

Reactions: ljb4 and AvsCOL

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
New York did nothing for Fox. He was drafted by Calgary and then he forced his way to New York. Refused to sign with Calgary, refused to sign with Carolina, said “only the Rangers.” They were gifted him.
I stand corrected. Got to hand it to him then. He knew what he wanted and he went after it. Shatty wanted New York too but that didn't work out so well for him.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, kudos to the Rags for Fox forcing his way there :laugh:

They really did a lot of heavy lifting :laugh:

Reactions: flying v 604

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad