Confirmed with Link: Cale Makar is a Norris Trophy Finalist

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yup... 1000%. He can play the right just fine in the regular season, but he needs to be on the left in the playoffs. When he's targeted like he is, he needs to be setup for success. At very least, Sakic needs to get a RD who is great at puck retrieval and has some size to absorb the physicality.

He's better on the left side in the regular season as well but yeah, in the playoffs especially when it gets physical he's always looking over his shoulder...so when he has to play the puck along the boards and he's playing the right side he's facing the wrong direction (and doesn't see who's coming at him) which isn't good for his play. At all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know man, that Toews - Makar pairing is kinda lit.

I never thought the Toews-Makar pairing actually worked that well personally. It was fine, but they I never thought they really clicked together. The guy Toews clicked with off the bat and played his best with was Girard.

Makar has had his best chemistry with Graves unfortunately. This illustrates some of the problem with the defensive makeup. That's why they need to start working Byram into that LD role with Makar.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've never had much issue with Girard playing on the right side.

This mostly affects your ability to pick pucks off the wall and skate them out while protecting the puck from turnovers, which G is good at no matter what.

G's issues against Vegas were his defensive coverage. That has to do with his deficiencies when exploited, and the fact he was playing with Graves most of the playoffs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never thought the Toews-Makar pairing actually worked that well personally. It was fine, but they I never thought they really clicked together. The guy Toews clicked with off the bat and played his best with was Girard.

Makar has had his best chemistry with Graves unfortunately. This illustrates some of the problem with the defensive makeup. That's why they need to start working Byram into that LD role with Makar.

I agree that Toews and Girard had better chemistry and Toews and Makar but the latter was still wildly effective. And I think it'd be even better if they had a dominant pairing like G/J taking a majority of the defensive roles.

I still think it's a pipe dream but...hey whatever, anything's possible until the puck drops in October.

Reactions: Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree that Toews and Girard had better chemistry and Toews and Makar but the latter was still wildly effective. And I think it'd be even better if they had a dominant pairing like G/J taking a majority of the defensive roles.

I still think it's a pipe dream but...hey whatever, anything's possible until the puck drops in October.

I think it was mostly effective because they're both good defenseman, but I don't think they got the most out of each player when paired together. That's what you should aim for IMO.

I think Makar suffered a bit in the playoffs because of this. Not saying he was bad, he wasn't, but he could have been a bit better. He was a bit too concerned with his defensive responsibilities (understandably) and even though Toews is solid defneisely, I don't think he was good enough to help Makar enough in this area.

The real issue with the defensive makeup of this team, is that their best defenseman in the playoffs could stand to play with a partner who's better defensively than they had. This goes for Makar, Girard, and Toews.

It's why it was a big mistake to sit Byram and why EJ was so sorely missed again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Retreving the puck and transitioning forward takes an extra second on your weak side. Forechecking and physicality is faster and harder in the playoffs so that extra second makes a big difference. I definitely think it matters.

I would go so far as to add that G's stick work defensively is one of his weaker areas too. He struggles to get positioning and win stick battles in his own zone, so being on his offside is a further disadvantage that the team can't put themselves end year after year. Without G going to the school of Spurgeon and really improving his stick skills defensively, he's going to have a hard time overcoming his size gap.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I would go so far as to add that G's stick work defensively is one of his weaker areas too. He struggles to get positioning and win stick battles in his own zone, so being on his offside is a further disadvantage that the team can't put themselves end year after year. Without G going to the school of Spurgeon and really improving his stick skills defensively, he's going to have a hard time overcoming his size gap.

I disagree with this, I think there’s a trend right now where a lot of people only seem to remember G’s play in the Vegas series versus how he played the majority of the season. He’s still young and there’s definitely still room for improvement. My hope is that he finds that consistency to play at the level he was at when Makar was out. I do think it’s important to find a partner that helps to bolster his game rather than hinder.

I’ve said it before, but the Avs are very reliant on their defense to transition the play up the ice and support the play in the offensive zone. However, knowing this, they still employ some big dummies that can’t do that. Graves is simply so unaware that he doesn’t seem to realize he is a support piece rather than a feature. We need support pieces that just play a safe and efficient game to support our puckmovers.

Reactions: klozge

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I disagree with this, I think there’s a trend right now where a lot of people only seem to remember G’s play in the Vegas series versus how he played the majority of the season. He’s still young and there’s definitely still room for improvement. My hope is that he finds that consistency to play at the level he was at when Makar was out. I do think it’s important to find a partner that helps to bolster his game rather than hinder.

I’ve said it before, but the Avs are very reliant on their defense to transition the play up the ice and support the play in the offensive zone. However, knowing this, they still employ some big dummies that can’t do that. Graves is simply so unaware that he doesn’t seem to realize he is a support piece rather than a feature. We need support pieces that just play a safe and efficient game to support our puckmovers.

Are we sure this is him actually being unaware rather than a product of his current coaching?

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad