Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
From a raw talent stand point I don’t think any dman really compares. It’s just attitude and off ice stuff that is holding him back really.

The talent is immense. Great dangles, vision, and patience to read the play.

I’m always a little gun-shy on players before they play at a level outside of junior hockey.

I wonder why he’s not more highly ranked among prospects outside the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Missed the Merkley part earlier.

You see Merkley getting to Makar/Hughes level?

I just need to see it at the next level whether that’s at the AHL, or NHL. He was obviously shredding the OHL, but that was his fourth season of junior hockey.

I will say though, his creativity and vision is pretty wild. It will be interesting to see who he plays with on the Sharks defence.

Merkley most certainly has the talent to do that. I think in pure, raw scoring talent... he's going to be the most talented defensemen in the world. The noise will be a big factor if he can live up to that talent.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Merkley most certainly has the talent to do that. I think in pure, raw scoring talent... he's going to be the most talented defensemen in the world. The noise will be a big factor if he can live up to that talent.

I’m probably not that bullish on him, but I can see the talent.

Guys like Dahlin, Makar, and Hughes proved more in their D+2 season.

I think those that believe Zegras will be a superstar talent will see similar qualities in Merkley. There both have a ton of skill.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Here’s what I decided to do. I reached out to a source on 11 Western Conference teams not named Colorado or Vancouver last week and asked a simple question: Makar or Hughes for the Calder?

While most of the respondents qualified their answer by saying how difficult the choice was, I hope Canucks fans avert their eyes to what comes next.

Out of the 11 responses from 11 different Western Conference team sources, 10 voted for Makar and one abstained, saying it was a 50-50 coin toss for him.

“Makar,” said one Western Conference team executive. “A bit more rounded game, stronger defensively. Offensive game for both the same.”

“Both really good but I just think Makar is really special,” said another Western Conference team executive. “When he really figures out the league he’s going to dominate. A physical presence to him.”

They know.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makar,” said one Western Conference team executive. “A bit more rounded game, stronger defensively."

tenor.gif

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Canadian bias is tough in this case. Do you vote for the American born player that plays in Vancouver or the Canadian born player that plays in Colorado?

Reactions: McMetal

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Canadian bias is tough in this case. Do you vote for the American born player that plays in Vancouver or the Canadian born player that plays in Colorado?
Should I take that and run with it?
I think Quinn should win because I am American. Plus Quinn is undersized, creative, and have we mentioned his confidence?

Honestly though I have hit the point where I am ready for it to be over. I'm sure we can all agree the Calder vote will finish the discussion once and for all ;)

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Should I take that and run with it?
I think Quinn should win because I am American. Plus Quinn is undersized, creative, and have we mentioned his confidence?

Honestly though I have hit the point where I am ready for it to be over. I'm sure we can all agree the Calder vote will finish the discussion once and for all ;)

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Already making excuses over at the Vancouver board :laugh:. I've never heard of that being a thing, they'll make up anything to justify Hughes losing.

"Some observers speculating that Hughes will lose out to Makar in the Calder voting because of the "Elias Pettersson' effect. Voters around the league could be reluctant to award the Calder to a player on the same team, for the second consecutive year."

I think the Calder means more to Canucks fans to us, I didn't realize before Pettersson they haven't had anyone win the Calder since Bure in 92. We've been spoiled with Landeskog and MacKinnon in recent years that it almost seems like the Calder is not a big a deal.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The Calder means more to Canucks fans than the Stanley Cup. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think the Calder means more to Canucks fans to us, I didn't realize before Pettersson they haven't had anyone win the Calder since Bure in 92. We've been spoiled with Landeskog and MacKinnon in recent years that it almost seems like the Calder is not a big a deal.

It's the only hardware they have a realistic shot at winning.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The Calder means more to Canucks fans than the Stanley Cup. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Some of their fans are using “generational” to describe Hughes. Pressure will be immense to continue improving.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Agreed. It gets bandied about way too often.

Generational is a fine term. But, I agree it’s way overused.

Crosby was generational, then McDavid was generational.

There has to be a significant age difference before you can dub the next generational talent.

So maybe when McDavid is 28/29 you can start looking at who is the generations next best player.

I do think there should be a generational defenceman category because blue-liners are largely viewed as worse than forwards for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad