Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If we needed to find more icetime for Makar, sure... but he's already getting ~20 minutes a night, that's plenty for a rookie defenseman.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The PK gives players a time to rest. Mackinnon would also be great playing high on the PK, but bottom 6 players are fresher. The goalie is the best penalty killer, and fresh bottom 6 guys are supposed to be able to keep the shots outside the dangerous areas.

It’s not a bad idea, but I doubt it would be used.

Karlsson and Burns are used both on the power play AND the penalty kill. There's a way to make it work.

It's frustrating for sure. They've really got a good mix of PK forwards right now. Even with all the injuries there are a bunch of options. The problem has been and still is the defensemen used. They're not fast enough to get to loose pucks and their first instinct is to block shots. So they spend practically the entire two or so minutes just hanging on for dear life. It's really tough to watch.

But part of it is just plain systemic. Graves was actually VERY effective on the PK when he first arrived. He didn't sit back and block shots--he went into the corners and battled for the puck. He won a lot of those battles and cleared it with ease. Unfortunately they've turned him into a shot blocker (which NEVER should have happened) and he's just as ineffective as the rest of them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have a question/proposal that would be a pretty big change for hockey. Why not use a defenseman with Cale Makar's abilities and talents on the PK at the forward position.

I know its not "classic hockey" but I feel like:

-Cale is special and he has sufficient defensive skills and instincts.
-Break away speed would be dangerous on PK.
-He wouldn't have to play down low and bang like a typical PK DMan.
-I also understand having 3 of 6 D on the ice at a time isn't ideal, especially if it's another D in the box, but situationally it could be effective.

It's an interesting idea but you don't really want Makar blocking shots at forward on the PK. He's too important, and forwards are at greater risk of this because of the way they have to skate towards the puck carrier.

MacKinnon has most of the same attributes as Makar but you wouldn't want him on the PK either. Unless you're down by multiple goals in an elimination game or something.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Anyone expecting Byram next year to scratch the surface of what Makar has done to open this season is going to be disappointed.

Just put him next to Makar and let Byram feast off Makar points, the same way we're putting Makar next to MacKinnon and letting him feast of MackDaddy points :sarcasm:

But yeah, Makar is breaking records here. Byram is going to be the Seattle to Makar's Vegas. Don't let the first guy's accomplishments ruin the later's before he even gets started.

Reactions: Barklez

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
It'd be pretty shitty to be the next D prospect to come up after what Cale Makar has done. Hobey Baker, playoff performance, and then most likely Calder. Good riddance.

God save, Byram.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It'd be pretty ****ty to be the next D prospect to come up after what Cale Makar has done. Hobey Baker, playoff performance, and then most likely Calder. Good riddance.

God save, Byram.

All he has to do is win WHL POTY, WJC MVP, the WJC, and be PPG his rookie year. I mean it’s not that much to ask :dunno:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dude... you forgot the most important one. Byram has to grow them rosey christmas cheeks.

I think the cheek factor for this organization is STRONG.

32498965_ANNUNEN_JUSTUS_19_2.png.600x750_q85_box-124%2C40%2C684%2C740.png

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Imagine coming into the avs zone and setting up on your teams powerplay only to see makar and MacKinnon on either side of the high pk box. I'd be terrified...every mistake is a break away for the penalty killers cuz u know u can't catch them. As a coach of the pp team I'd be shaking and almost want to back off.

McDavid and MacKinnon doing that for team Canada too. *drools*

Reactions: MacBradley

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Imagine coming into the avs zone and setting up on your teams powerplay only to see makar and MacKinnon on either side of the high pk box. I'd be terrified...every mistake is a break away for the penalty killers cuz u know u can't catch them. As a coach of the pp team I'd be shaking and almost want to back off.

Can't help but think it'd almost be a 4 on 4 because they'd always leave a guy as far back as possible to not get burnt.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019

With our luck Mack would take a slapshot off the ankle and the puck would rebound and hit Makar in the jaw breaking both Mack's ankle and Makars jaw.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar update for those that missed the Minnesota game:

Probably his best game of the season. Two goals, displaying the great wrist shot. The second one was a beauty. Excellent tape to tape passes all night long. Very strong play in his own zone, including separating guys from the puck with hits a couple times.

In the 3rd period, he almost single handedly brought the Avs back. He was everywhere. One great end-to-end rush late should have resulted in a penalty. He was like a computer down the stretch. Every decision was perfect.

So overall, not a bad game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar update for those that missed the Minnesota game:

Probably his best game of the season. Two goals, displaying the great wrist shot. The second one was a beauty. Excellent tape to tape passes all night long. Very strong play in his own zone, including separating guys from the puck with hits a couple times.

In the 3rd period, he almost single handedly brought the Avs back. He was everywhere. One great end-to-end rush late should have resulted in a penalty. He was like a computer down the stretch. Every decision was perfect.

So overall, not a bad game.
It sucks that we can't fully enjoy it because the team lost.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So.... Avs Dmen tonight:

- Johnson played 21:32 total ice time. 6:19 came short handed and 15:13 came at even strength.
- Zadorov played 17:11 total ice time. 1:02 of it shorthanded and 16:09 at even strength
- Graves played 17:41 total. With 4:27 of it shorthanded and 13:14 at even strength.
- Cole played 16:07 total. 3:48 shorthanded and 14:19 at even strength.
- Girard played 16:10 total. 0:37 on the PP and 15:33 at even strength.

And then you have Makar. Cale played 24:41 total ice time tonight. 2:54 of it was on the PP. He played 21:47 minutes at even strength tonight. almost 6 minutes more than any other defender at 5 on 5.

And it was probably his best career game at this point. Patience is still key with this guy and making sure he's developing the right habbits. But it's starting to look like not only is he going to be a future stud, we're quite possibly looking at a guy who can play 25 minutes a night, eat major mintues and just be a Norris level #1D for a long, long time.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So.... Avs Dmen tonight:

- Johnson played 21:32 total ice time. 6:19 came short handed and 15:13 came at even strength.
- Zadorov played 17:11 total ice time. 1:02 of it shorthanded and 16:09 at even strength
- Graves played 17:41 total. With 4:27 of it shorthanded and 13:14 at even strength.
- Cole played 16:07 total. 3:48 shorthanded and 14:19 at even strength.
- Girard played 16:10 total. 0:37 on the PP and 15:33 at even strength.

And then you have Makar. Cale played 24:41 total ice time tonight. 2:54 of it was on the PP. He played 21:47 minutes at even strength tonight. almost 6 minutes more than any other defender at 5 on 5.

And it was probably his best career game at this point. Patience is still key with this guy and making sure he's developing the right habbits. But it's starting to look like not only is he going to be a future stud, we're quite possibly looking at a guy who can play 25 minutes a night, eat major mintues and just be a Norris level #1D for a long, long time.

We are witnessing the birth of a true #1 defenseman. Can't remember the last time it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad