Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I like some fancy stats, but why would you want to lead a category in puck possession in the defensive zone? The idea is you want to get the puck to your forwards as quick as possible.
Yeah, I was thinking how is this a good thing? It's not completely negative because I like dmen who don't lose the puck in their zone but I prefer dmen who get the puck, make the right pass and hug their teammate who just scored on the other side.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Yeah, I was thinking how is this a good thing? It's not completely negative because I like dmen who don't lose the puck in their zone but I prefer dmen who get the puck, make the right pass and hug their teammate who just scored on the other side.
What?????????

Clearly shows you can win battles in your own end and protect the puck from opposing forwards. Shows you're taking time to make the right pass rather than just dishing the puck off the boards and hoping it goes to a forward.

Clearly Makar is garbage and should be sent down. His puck possession numbers are too high :help:

Please tell me how this is a "bad" stat. I didn't know having puck possession was a bad thing. i'm genuinely curious

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What?????????

Clearly shows you can win battles in your own end and protect the puck from opposing forwards. Shows you're taking time to make the right pass rather than just dishing the puck off the boards and hoping it goes to a forward.

Clearly Makar is garbage and should be sent down. His puck possession numbers are too high :help:

Please tell me how this is a "bad" stat. I didn't know having puck possession was a bad thing. i'm genuinely curious
You can also say he takes too long to make a decision with the puck. It's one of those stats which are worthless without context (which can be said about most stats imo), especially when you consider Hughes has twice as many giveaways as takeaways. So how good are his decisions really?
Hughes is good and will make the All Star teams often but this stat won't be the reason for it. Imo.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
77083073_2861897433844538_7556496015256190976_n.jpg

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wow. Not the most important achievement in the world (and one he wouldn't have achieved on a weaker team) but that's some excellent company.

He’s got a long way to go to get to that level, but to be mentioned in a category with those two is pretty cool. The two best defenceman in history in my opinion.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
You can also say he takes too long to make a decision with the puck. It's one of those stats which are worthless without context (which can be said about most stats imo), especially when you consider Hughes has twice as many giveaways as takeaways. So how good are his decisions really?
Hughes is good and will make the All Star teams often but this stat won't be the reason for it. Imo.
Yeah, he makes too long to make decisions, let’s send him down :help::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What does Goals above replacement even mean

I'm pretty sure it means how many more goals is a player contributing compared to a base replacement level player.

So if my understanding is right there's basically this arbitrary "replacement" level player that's created for these analytical reports... And then from those arbitrary numbers you can determine whether a guy is playing above replacement level or below replacement level... and by how much.

So if a player is playing above replacement level, that means you're getting real good value out of the player and he overall is contributing positively towards goals more than he is negatively. On the flip side, if you have a below replacement level player, that means he is contributing negatively towards goals than he is positively.

This chart I'm assuming factors in both offensive and defensive play, along with other things to create the data. The fact Makar has no reds means he's contributing positively in all situations, which is great to see.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
MAKAR COLLECTS FOUR ASSISTS TO ECLIPSE 20 CAREER POINTS

Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar collected four assists – including one on the overtime winner by Nathan MacKinnon (2-1—3) – to eclipse 20 career regular-season points (5-17—22 in 20 GP). Makar required the sixth-fewest games to reach 20 career points among players to debut with the Avalanche/Nordiques franchise.

Makar became the fourth defenseman in NHL history to record 20 or more points through their 20th career regular-season game, joining Toronto’s Harry Cameron on March 2, 1918 (17-10—27), Los Angeles’ Larry Murphy on Nov. 22, 1980 (5-19—24) and Toronto’s Hap Day on Feb. 18, 1925 (7-16—23).

Makar became the second rookie defenseman in franchise history to record four points in a game, joining Quebec’s Jeff Brown on Oct. 13, 1986 (1-3—4 at VAN). Makar leads all rookies in scoring this season, owning eight more points than the next-closest players (Victor Olofsson: 7-7—14 in 19 GP; Martin Necas: 4-10—14 in 20 GP).

Makar_Media-17021907.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad