Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
But was this a question of Cale wearing-out/buckling-under-the-pressure, or was it just a matter of the whole team taking their foot off of the gas & turtling? I stopped watching once the Avs game started, but I'm not one to blame the individual when the collective backs off & tries to sit on a lead...as that's typically the result of coaching when it's the whole team.
Even if the team is tanking it doesn't mean he had to join them. Individually, he disappeared. It was kind of weird. If anything you would have hoped he would step up and not follow suit with the rest of the players. Didn't see it. Its only one game but it made me wonder. He went from Superman to the Invisible man.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even if the team is tanking it doesn't mean he had to join them. Individually, he disappeared. It was kind of weird. If anything you would have hoped he would step up and not follow suit with the rest of the players. Didn't see it. Its only one game but it made me wonder. He went from Superman to the Invisible man.

Not if the coach is instructing them to sit back & not take any risks :dunno:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I watched this game too and it was disconcerting how he disappeared after the !st period. Announcers speculated an injury because the change was so noticeable. It didn't seem that he logged an inordinate amount of ice time either. I kept looking for him on the ice and noted that there was plenty of time he wasn't. After the first period I was drinking the Kool-Aid, after the game...not so much.

Bust. Do we even want his rights?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Didn't know until I read Clark's article that Carvel himself publicly declared Cale ready for the NHL.

He has done so a couple of times this season. I don't remember the exact quote but at one point he also basically said there's nothing more for Makar to do at the college level.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We know for certain that he has to be protected if he plays even 1 game this season on his ELC.
Apparently AJ has been trying to find out, and he was getting his info from capfriendly, but now they might be wrong.

How no one can figure out what the actual rule is, is beyond me. I mean Sakic and Bednar should know.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Expansion draft be darned! McAvoy came into the league straight into the playoffs and had 3 points in 6 games.

If management thinks he is ready and Bednar has a spot for him sign him up!

Reactions: Hornstar

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
No one even knows for sure if Makar has to be protected. All I know is I'm ready to see him on Monday.

AJ said in last nights podcast that he reached out again yesterday to both the NHL and the NHLPA and they're still giving two different answers. Apparently there's a 22 year old who was signed this year(can't remember what team he said it was) and they're saying he won't be exposed.

It's probably just safe to assume he's need protecting and the Avs will just go the eight skaters route.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Expansion draft be darned! McAvoy came into the league straight into the playoffs and had 3 points in 6 games.

If management thinks he is ready and Bednar has a spot for him sign him up!
I'd be disappointed if he only put up 3 points in 6 games. He better put up like 10 points in 7 games like MacKinnon with all this hype :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
AJ said in last nights podcast that he reached out again yesterday to both the NHL and the NHLPA and they're still giving two different answers. Apparently there's a 22 year old who was signed this year(can't remember what team he said it was) and they're saying he won't be exposed.

It's probably just safe to assume he's need protecting and the Avs will just go the eight skaters route.

Taro Hirose... and they are just misinterpreting. He’s on a 2 year elc that expires prior to the draft. Now if Detroit qualifies him, they have to protect him. Obviously if they don’t he’s not ‘theirs.’ Where the confusion lies is Hirose has to play in 70 NHL games to meet the exposure requirement of so many veteran players. Which if he is any good, he will. Tweets out of context do this...

Reactions: cgf

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Maybe the Avs aren't as worried about the expansion draft as fans seem to be because they know Barrie and Zadorov won't be here.

*runs*

I don’t know if that’s the reason but I really do think the Avs are no where near as worried about the expansion draft as some fans here are.

Reactions: Avs_19

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My personal theory is that the Avs just aren't all that worried about the Expansion Draft for a couple of reasons:

1) It's 2 years away. They don't know what their roster will look like then. I mean for all we know, they could get EJ to waive his NMC for the XD if they have assurances from Seattle that they won't take him.

2) They believe that if they're having to make a "tough decision" on who to protect, that's a lot better than the last XD list they put together that had them protecting such "superstars" as: Sven Andrighetto, Matt Nieto, and Rocco Grimaldi.

Honestly, I think the board is rather consensus in that we'd prefer them to not use a protection slot on Makar if they can hold off, but it seems like they just don't care and will deal with the protection list when it comes time to deal with it.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Apparently AJ has been trying to find out, and he was getting his info from capfriendly, but now they might be wrong.

How no one can figure out what the actual rule is, is beyond me. I mean Sakic and Bednar should know.

The team hopefully does know. Just because the Avs terrible media personalities don't know doesn't mean the team doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad