Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Sakic wanted to sign him after last season and Cale wanted to stay at UMass for one more season to work on his game. Wonder if he's one to push for ELC signing after UMass finishes their season, or if he'd rather come in next season after a strong summer.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sakic wanted to sign him after last season and Cole wanted to stay at UMass for one more season to work on his game. Wonder if he's one to push for ELC signing after UMass finishes their season, or if he'd rather come in next season after a strong summer.

I thought Sakic did sign Cole after last season? *LOL*

Reactions: LTC Pain

coloradotim

Nov 5, 2017
I watched the DU/UMass game instead of the Avs (until UMass won in overtime). Makar looked good early but then when DU mounted its comeback (from a 3-1 deficit to tie it 3-3 in the 3rd period) Makar was invisible. The commentators, including Barry Melrose, highlighted plays where Makar was not playing well.
I think Makar is worn out from the college season and the intensity of the college playoffs. He'll still be great for the Avs, but not until next year. I favor signing him in the offseason and him getting a fresh start in the Fall.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I watched the DU/UMass game instead of the Avs (until UMass won in overtime). Makar looked good early but then when DU mounted its comeback (from a 3-1 deficit to tie it 3-3 in the 3rd period) Makar was invisible. The commentators, including Barry Melrose, highlighted plays where Makar was not playing well.
I think Makar is worn out from the college season and the intensity of the college playoffs. He'll still be great for the Avs, but not until next year. I favor signing him in the offseason and him getting a fresh start in the Fall.

How many minutes per game he is playing? 25 min? 30 min? He will be fine in NHL with less minutes.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Today - Makar wins Hobey Baker
Tomorrow - Makar leads UMass to a Frozen Four championship
Monday - Makar's first NHL game at the Pepsi Center

The fact that this situation is even a possibility...

Has anyone ever won the Frozen Four and the Stanley Cup in the same year?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The UMass website says 29 under “MIN”. Idk if that’s TOI, but I’d assume it is.

That is his number of penalty minutes this season...

In nearly every UMass game televised they have talked about the rotation that Carvel uses. They roll all 3 pairs ES pretty evenly and don't match up lines. PP and PK the extra time happens.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I watched this game too and it was disconcerting how he disappeared after the !st period. Announcers speculated an injury because the change was so noticeable. It didn't seem that he logged an inordinate amount of ice time either. I kept looking for him on the ice and noted that there was plenty of time he wasn't. After the first period I was drinking the Kool-Aid, after the game...not so much.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Has anyone ever won the Frozen Four and the Stanley Cup in the same year?

Interesting question.

Ken Morrow won the Olympic Gold Medal and the Stanley Cup in the same year, prior to pros playing in the Olympics.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
I hope they leave him until next season. There is very little advantage to throwing him straight into the playoffs. Also, we wouldn't have to protect him in the Seattle expansion draft (he'd be automatically protected) if we leave him until next year.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I watched this game too and it was disconcerting how he disappeared after the !st period. Announcers speculated an injury because the change was so noticeable. It didn't seem that he logged an inordinate amount of ice time either. I kept looking for him on the ice and noted that there was plenty of time he wasn't. After the first period I was drinking the Kool-Aid, after the game...not so much.

But was this a question of Cale wearing-out/buckling-under-the-pressure, or was it just a matter of the whole team taking their foot off of the gas & turtling? I stopped watching once the Avs game started, but I'm not one to blame the individual when the collective backs off & tries to sit on a lead...as that's typically the result of coaching when it's the whole team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That is his number of penalty minutes this season...

In nearly every UMass game televised they have talked about the rotation that Carvel uses. They roll all 3 pairs ES pretty evenly and don't match up lines. PP and PK the extra time happens.

It’s in the column next to “PEN” which is I’m assuming that. I could be wrong but that’s what I’m seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad