Prospect Info: Cale Fleury - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Fleury-PressConference(20/07/15)

“I feel that every camp I come it's to fight for a spot. There are a lot of guys. It's pretty up in the air. It'll depend on how I'm in camp and at the exhibition game as well.”

“The start was a little rough in Laval. I wasn't playing my best when I was sent down there. I was playing under my expectations. With the help of Bouchard, he really helped me to get my mind right. I started to play better at the end. I learned how to be steady in my position. Just focusing on my job and to play at the best of my abilities.”

“I watched clips. My agent talked to management on what they wanted me to improve. For the most part, it’s just to stay intense in the battles, just focusing on the D-zone. I felt like I was getting a little more comfortable and not taking everything at 100% (like it'd have been at the start of the year when I was still fighting for a spot).”

Reactions: Redux91 and jaffy27

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fleury has so much offensive potential that a lot of people don’t talk about. He’s so good at carrying the puck up ice and making things happen. Once he’s a little older and battens down the hatches in the D zone and gets more confidence and green light to move up, he can be a 30-40 point guy easily. Plus he hits like a freight train and skates like the wind. There’s very. Little not to like with him. I see him as a young Petry, who took some time to develop into the player he is today.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Fleury has so much offensive potential that a lot of people don’t talk about. He’s so good at carrying the puck up ice and making things happen. Once he’s a little older and battens down the hatches in the D zone and gets more confidence and green light to move up, he can be a 30-40 point guy easily. Plus he hits like a freight train and skates like the wind. There’s very. Little not to like with him. I see him as a young Petry, who took some time to develop into the player he is today.

He is a hybrid. He is a mix of the modern day defenseman and the old school big-bodied-throwing-their-weight-around type also. Although he has had 2 years of injury issues, I feel Juulsen is that type, as well.

In his rookie season in Laval, Fleury finished his first year in the pros with the most goals among defensemen and was second in scoring among defensemen, behind only Ouellet. And Fleury started that year on the 3rd pair and sometimes a healthy scratch before moving his way up to the top pair by the end of that year.

And it also says a lot about Fleury that last year, there was a revolving door on the third pair in Montreal. But for the most part (until he was sent down to Laval), Fleury was the staple on that third pair. There were Weber, Chiarot, Petry, Mete, and Fleury. And that 6th spot was between Kulak, Folin, they called up Olofsson, Leskinen, and there was Ouellet.

The kid isn't far from being an established full-time NHL'er.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He is a hybrid. He is a mix of the modern day defenseman and the old school big-bodied-throwing-their-weight-around type also. Although he has had 2 years of injury issues, I feel Juulsen is that type, as well.

In his rookie season in Laval, Fleury finished his first year in the pros with the most goals among defensemen and was second in scoring among defensemen, behind only Ouellet. And Fleury started that year on the 3rd pair and sometimes a healthy scratch before moving his way up to the top pair by the end of that year.

And it also says a lot about Fleury that last year, there was a revolving door on the third pair in Montreal. But for the most part (until he was sent down to Laval), Fleury was the staple on that third pair. There were Weber, Chiarot, Petry, Mete, and Fleury. And that 6th spot was between Kulak, Folin, they called up Olofsson, Leskinen, and there was Ouellet.

The kid isn't far from being an established full-time NHL'er.
My sentiments exactly. As for Juulsen, I see his offence as being more limited than Fleury but with a better defensive game. Both can and should he stall wards on our D for many years to come. The wild card right now might be Brooks who’s arguably the most talented of the trio. I’d be nice to see him develop to his fullest potential and have all 3 rock the right side.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was clearly out of his depth this season, but fortunately for him, Folin was even worse. Once in Laval late in the season, he was downright terrible. He has some interesting attributes and seems to have a good attitude, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Romanov Brook
Norlinder Juulsen
Struble Fleury
Harris

If half pan out as regular NHLers, and there’s no reason to think they won’t, we’re in a pretty good spot in D for a long time especially the right side.

Just need more pure offensive players up front.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Romanov Brook
Norlinder Juulsen
Struble Fleury
Harris

If half pan out as regular NHLers, and there’s no reason to think they won’t, we’re in a pretty good spot in D for a long time especially the right side.

The right side doesn't look good to me. Brook meeting his upside is a RD 2 and Juulsen/Fleury would both be suitable for RD3. We need a legit RD1, luckily for us.. Norlinder has played it in the past. That being said, if we have the opportunity to draft a top end RD soon, we need to take it. One won't be available for us this year.

I'd be looking more at

Romanov-Norlinder
Struble-Brook
Harris-Fleury/Juulsen

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The right side doesn't look good to me. Brook meeting his upside is a RD 2 and Juulsen/Fleury would both be suitable for RD3. We need a legit RD1, luckily for us.. Norlinder has played it in the past. That being said, if we have the opportunity to draft a top end RD soon, we need to take it. One won't be available for us this year.

I'd be looking more at

Romanov-Norlinder
Struble-Brook
Harris-Fleury/Juulsen

That may very well be the case but as it shows now, I left all D at their natural position. A lot hype has dropped for Brook but I think he has just as much offensive upside as Norlinder. He’s probably the best outlet pass D we have in the organization and his ability to run a PP is elite as is his vision. From the blue line to the top of the face of dot, he’s a beast. He’s also a really smart defender with elite vision and passing skills. Watching him slap pass on tue PP is a think of beauty from a bygone era.

Brook had a tough year as first year pro but so did Fleury until he adjusted and even then he was a bit up and down. I expect Brook to take big steps this year and join the conversation with Fleury and Juulsen for who makes the lineup. The good news for all the young RD now is there’s no need to rush and ruin like so many other promising prospects. They can develop at their own pace and fight for a spot when they’re ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'd be looking more at

Romanov-Norlinder
Struble-Brook
Harris-Fleury/Juulsen

I'm modify that and say the right side doesn't look amazing.

I'm interested to know how many legit contending teams (or past Cup winning teams) have two 'legit' top pairing guys on the first pair and two 'legit' 2nd pairing guys on their 2nd pair. I'm genuinely asking.

I share the question marks you have on Brook/Juulsen/Fleury's upside but we could hit big enough on the left side that (on paper at least) that that right side could be good enough.

Juulsen at very least should be a rock solid 3rd pairing guy if injuries are in the past and he can get a bit faster/quicker. I wouldn't rule him out being on a top pairing if we have a legit #1. Careful though to make the distinction that he might not necessarily(still could be. don't think it's impossible) be a top pairing guy proper, but good enough.

Fleury seems to have the higher upside but it's a question whether he can shore up his weaknesses. If he can than he's top 4 all day for me. The upside is there. I can also see a scenario where he doesn't put it together and gets bounced around a la Beaulieu, Mike Rielly. I don't see that with Juulsen though. Juulsen seems like more a sure bet where Fleury seems a bit more boom or bust.

Brook seems to be more or less a Fleury but with possibly higher upside. I haven't seen enough of either to really say. Some were making the argument early last year that Fleury is actually the better prospect. Can't say either way. I think he's going to take time and we should be EXTREMELY patient with him. Fleury too but more so Brook. He likely has AT LEAST the upside to be on a top pairing but not a #2. That doesn't seem like a stretch. True top pairing upside is a different question. Hard to say.

Long story short, I think the right side could be good enough but we never seem to have luck in having most of our kids pan out. The good thing is these 3 have legit shown more upside than our Tinordis and Beaulieus and Ellis. Imo at least. I would love to be able to point to a Dahlin in our prospect group but I still think by committee we should at least have a 'good enough' D corps with real potential for better than that. Petry's only 32. Whatever your thoughts on Petry I think with a rock solid partner he's more than fine on a 2nd pairing.

Hell if Romanov hits his most optimistic ceiling (lets say prime McDo?) would a Romanov-Petry top pairing be that bad if lets say we get Laf, CC, Suzuki and KK hitting their ceilings? And a Struble/Norlinder-Brook 2nd pairing (again if those guys are anywhere near their respective ceilings)?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Romanov Brook
Norlinder Juulsen
Struble Fleury
Harris

I see none of those guys as clear cut #1 Ds

Reactions: The Great Weise

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Agreed. I see some potential top 4 dmen, but no top 2 dmen. Only time will tell, but we aren't going anywhere without that star #1 dman.

definitely no clear cut #1s. Agreed.

Potential top pairing guys? Romanov has top pairing potential. Not guaranteed but it's there imo. No giant offensive upside but defensively he seems to have little to no glaring holes.

Norlinder? Offensive tools are there. Elite skating, great mitts, and seems to have a knack at goal scoring. It's not glaringly obvious, despite some ridiculously effusive praise from a few Swedish beat writers, I don't think you can count out top pairing potential from him. Small sample size but he seemed to be able to produce in the SHL playoffs. Next year will be telling.

Struble seems to have the physical tools. Size, strength and skating are pretty tops. Seems to own good mitts but it's hard with NCAA freshmen. Seemed to start producing at a good clip in his 2nd half before the injury. montreal has IQ question marks which always scares me as I think he along with Mrb1p had those question marks about Ylonen and I think they might be right there. Still even montreal said that it could just be rookie mistakes. Otherwise, I'd say raw talent and physical tools are there.

Right side is different. Brook has the highest upside arguably of the RDs but I'm not sure it's top pairing. It's not impossible but it's probably not likely.

Still having roughly 4-6 D prospects with very real 2nd pairing upside is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Mostly depth guys imo. We will hit a few NHLers out of those, but I don’t see anything exciting outside of Romanov. I haven’t seen Norlinder play much, so he could be exciting. I like Struble/Harris, but where they end up is no sure bet. The right side is just bad imo. I do like Brook, but me might be the least safest of the 3. Juulsen and Fleury are pretty meh, but I prefer Fleury out of the two of them if I had to choose.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see him on that 3rd pairing for years to come....I’m so high on this player.....he and Juulsen should man that right side for years

Its going to be a fight between Juulsen, Fleury, Brook for spots on RD in the next season or two. This may or may not force Petry out if they take substantial steps forward in the next year.

Fleury seems to have the inside track at this point and Juulsen has work to do to regain his spot after his injury seasons.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad