Prospect Info: Cale Fleury - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barring injuries, Weber, Chiarot, Petry, Kulak, Romanov, Juulsen, Mete will be the 7D, so I expect both of Fleury and Brook for that matter to be in Laval.

Fleury may have an NHL future but hopefully he can learn a lot more in Laval in the meantime. He will likely see NHL time as the Habs usually have a lot of injuries.

I wouldn't mind him spending another 2 years in Laval. He likely won't be an offensive dman. So he'll need to get really slick at getting to picks quickly, reading the play, and moving the puck up the ice quickly, as well as gap control. Still lots of time for him to learn those things.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I have no problem with Fleury staying in Laval.

Weber/Chiarot/Petry/Kulak are back for sure.

Mete might get dealt but he could easily be back.

Romanov should make it, and Juulsen is a bit of question mark just because we need some assurance he can stay healthy and not losing development.

I think he could be a solid #4 who can play PK and a little PP, and add that physical factor that we'll want regardless of the situation.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Barring injuries, Weber, Chiarot, Petry, Kulak, Romanov, Juulsen, Mete will be the 7D, so I expect both of Fleury and Brook for that matter to be in Laval.

Fleury may have an NHL future but hopefully he can learn a lot more in Laval in the meantime. He will likely see NHL time as the Habs usually have a lot of injuries.
Brook I agree with but I think Fleury will make a spot for himself in the top 6.
I am not convinced that Kulak, Mete or Juulsen are better than Fleury.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think Fleury will win that 3rd RD spot out of camp if a new player isn't acquired

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Brook I agree with but I think Fleury will make a spot for himself in the top 6.
I am not convinced that Kulak, Mete or Juulsen are better than Fleury.
Maybe down the line Fleury is a better player than Kulak, but I think these last playoffs has proved Kulak is currently better and deserves first shot at a top 6 role next season.

Reactions: azcanuck

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Not impressed so far. He's still very raw. Should spend the year in Laval which means we should sign a reliable depth RHD as an insurance for Juulsen. If Fleury is relied on to play on our 3rd pairing, we're in trouble.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Not impressed so far. He's still very raw. Should spend the year in Laval which means we should sign a depth RHD as an insurance for Juulsen. If Fleury is relied on to play on our 3rd pairing, we're in trouble.
Who's going to, a new player?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What you want from a D first and foremost is the ability to make solid decisions in your end and defend. He was average at that. His first pass out of the zone looked like a struggle at times.
What he brought was some solid hits. He has underrated offensive instincts. Better then Mete who does nothing but go straight ahead with speed. Cale showed some soft mitts on many plays that really surprised me.
He's 21, he needs to continue to improve to be an NHLer.

Reactions: Eegs

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He’s going to be a very solid NHL player. He’s a physical force, just needs some polishing. Has an underrated offensive flair as well... I’m very high on this young man. We have to remember that he will make some mistakes, but we can’t throw him to the wolves every time. I honestly think he’ll be a top 4 guy for a long time in the NHL.

Reactions: Hacketts

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm glad I made this thread because the answers are all over the place lol. Interesting to see how he is viewed across the forum.

Cale is behind a crowded RD logjam which might delay his full time NHLer status but gives him tonnes of rope to polish those flaws like @Beendair Donedat is saying. It's not that I think CF can become a superstar but I think he has a good balance of mobility, physicality, and talent that doesn't come along all the time. He could bring what Emelin used to bring, but with a better overall game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Couldn't find a thread on him.

Let's discuss a player that could be a bigger part of the next season than we might think.

So despite finishing with just one goal and a -4, considering the team he was on that's not a terrible debut for a young Dman. CF was far from making an impact offensively but I was very impressed with his mobility and ability to make big hits cleanly and at the right times. Fleury really adds more physicality to the blueline and can be a good agitator against star forwards.

I think he has underrated hands and shot, and not bad at decision making either. If he can improve his defence I think he'll make the roster and I wouldn't mind him on the 2nd PP.

What do we think about Fleury? Is he ready enough to develop in the NHL? Or does he need laval time?

he should have been in Laval all of last season and likely needs another year in Laval. He's got to get better in his own end, when he was sent down last season he was flat out terrible. That shouldn't happen, but spending time with Bouchard and his staff hopefully gets him back on track.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe down the line Fleury is a better player than Kulak, but I think these last playoffs has proved Kulak is currently better and deserves first shot at a top 6 role next season.
I think Mete is the odd man out but Kulak has been mediocre at best for most of his career and needs to show that level of play for a full season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
he should have been in Laval all of last season and likely needs another year in Laval. He's got to get better in his own end, when he was sent down last season he was flat out terrible. That shouldn't happen, but spending time with Bouchard and his staff hopefully gets him back on track.
You can't have Fleury, Juulsen and Brook all playing in the AHL... You have to chose which one you invest time in, now theyre jsut going to scrap 3 players that had NHL potential... Thats why holding on to your players too long is bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can't have Fleury, Juulsen and Brook all playing in the AHL... You have to chose which one you invest time in, now theyre jsut going to scrap 3 players that had NHL potential... Thats why holding on to your players too long is bad.

Unless they change the rules Juulsen can't play in Laval without waivers and why risk that imo. Brook should be on the top paring, Fleury the 2nd pairing, no issues there. Now they can send Juulsen down for 2 weeks if he agrees but that shouldn't hurt Brook/Fleury as it would be like 6 or so games depending how they work the schedule.

Reactions: Archijerej

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
people get caught up in "big hits". that's a nice perk but first a D has to defend and get the puck out of the zone under pressure. This is part of his game that needs a lot of work. Not unusual for a young D.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not impressed so far. He's still very raw. Should spend the year in Laval which means we should sign a reliable depth RHD as an insurance for Juulsen. If Fleury is relied on to play on our 3rd pairing, we're in trouble.
We have been in trouble for 2 decades out of our own doing. Cale is a large aggressive defenseman with speed.
We are going to f*** this player up too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Physical game is the key to Cale Fleury’ development – Rocket Laval

“For me, Cale, he’s a beast” exclaimed Rocket head coach Joël Bouchard. “He needs to be a beast. There’s a unique face to his game in 2021. There are not too many guys like that. Look around the NHL, look around the minor leagues, a big right-handed defenseman that can hit and hit often, day in, day out, shift in, shift out. There’s not many of those guys.”

“It feels like when I’m playing physical, it helps the rest of my game. Maybe if guys are a little bit intimidated, I can have more time with the puck” explained Cale Fleury. “Just playing physical gets me in the game more as well. It gets me more focussed.”

“I’ve seen a lot of good things. I like Cale, we all agree, I like him a lot. Now, I want consistency and that’s what I’m on top of him for. It’s not about him having high moments. We do know he can have those high moments. It’s to have high moments often.”

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
What has happened to Cale Fleury? Is he hurt? I hardly hear anything about him anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad