Calder race 2016/2017 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Beeen saying this for a while, plus finns colors = leafs colors ^^

Should really join arms... finns + leafs = most likely bigger fanbase than rest of top 5 nhl fanbases. ^^

Anyways imagine if leafs would have drafted both laine and matty somehow :o:popcorn:

Rest of hfboards would be petrified

Oh yes the colors aswell! If Kapanen pans out we can unite our forces and over hype him together!

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Oh yes the colors aswell! If Kapanen pans out we can unite our forces and over hype him together!

Yeo thats what i hope for. Hopefully kappy turns out beast and we all become best friends haha.

And now leafs and finns alike have met a bit of a reflection of how it is dealing with a reflection of their own fanbase in size and number of crazies.

Now those two together? Thats like datsyuk and crosby on same line, sorry whatever fanbase tries to talk trash about their players haha.

Imagine all these debates by all people.. on the same side ;)

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

Kapanen played pretty good for playing on a bump and grind line with Boyle and Martin. Love his speed and he sure likes to shoot. I hope he plays with Matthews and Nylander next season.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Kapanen played pretty good for playing on a bump and grind line with Boyle and Martin. Love his speed and he sure likes to shoot. I hope he plays with Matthews and Nylander next season.

Well are you guys ready to drop the battle axe and welcome finn fans who may become part of your fanbase :)?

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017

Good to hear. It would be awesome to see him with those two, I sure will watch more Leaf games next season. And what a way to score your first NHL goal.

despotic

Aug 10, 2006
Toronto

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
No it's not. "Final + - stats".

Sure. Not final defensive stats. There is more to it

This guy was apparently out to lunch a couple weeks ago when Laine boosters totally wrote off + - as a meaningful stat when he was tanking hard in that category. Then Little and Perrault started scoring in bunches near the end of the year and suddenly it's all the craze again.

Also, to reiterate one last time. Historically in top 5 picks differences in age have no baring on future success. An early birthday does not put Laine at any significant disadvantage to his top of the draft peers. The sooner the kid turns 19 and people can stop all this nonsense the better. He's a player. Evaluate him on the merits of his play, not his age.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
This guy was apparently out to lunch a couple weeks ago when Laine boosters totally wrote off + - as a meaningful stat when he was tanking hard in that category. Then Little and Perrault started scoring in bunches near the end of the year and suddenly it's all the craze again.

Also, to reiterate one last time. Historically in top 5 picks differences in age have no baring on future success. An early birthday does not put Laine at any significant disadvantage to his top of the draft peers. The sooner the kid turns 19 and people can stop all this nonsense the better. He's a player. Evaluate him on the merits of his play, not his age.

Haha NOPE then the whistle will go "Laine is only 19 matthews is 20 look he is getting grey hair buuuhooiu"

Called it

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
How is Tkachuk above Nylander? I would even have Aho above Tkachuk.

Nylander is overlooked because of Marner and Matthews, though I would argue that he was a lot better than Marner down the stretch. Even in Toronto he's become a bit of an afterthought with fans when 2 years ago he was the crown jewel of our prospects. I like Willy being the underdog though, it'll push him even harder. Guy has a lot of pride.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Nylander is overlooked because of Marner and Matthews, though I would argue that he was a lot better than Marner down the stretch. Even in Toronto he's become a bit of an afterthought with fans when 2 years ago he was the crown jewel of our prospects. I like Willy being the underdog though, it'll push him even harder. Guy has a lot of pride.

Yeah for a while there it even seemed like Marner would overtake Matthews and Laine in points overall as he was scoring at such an impressive rate, getting assists left and right. Cooled down more than I expected towards the end of the season.

Not having watched that many Toronto games outside of highlights since Feb, how was he looking? Gassed? Or still making lots of creative plays despite not scoring as much?

Does seem like Nylander has been the better player the last month or more at least based on production.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yeah for a while there it even seemed like Marner would overtake Matthews and Laine in points overall as he was scoring at such an impressive rate, getting assists left and right. Cooled down more than I expected towards the end of the season.

Not having watched that many Toronto games outside of highlights since Feb, how was he looking? Gassed? Or still making lots of creative plays despite not scoring as much?

Does seem like Nylander has been the better player the last month or more at least based on production.

He hit a bit of a wall towards the end, while Nylander was pretty much a PPG player in his last 30 or so games. Definitely think William should be ranked ahead, he also improved his overall game over the course of the year.

Here's hoping William plays at centre next season, might see him line up with Kapanen if that happens (and Matthews alongside Marner). Depends on if the Leafs move Bozak

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

There were rumours that Marner got pretty sick for a while there. Apparently he was playing through strep throat. I don't think he ever looked quite as quick.on his feet after that, though he was regaining a step near the end of the season. I expect him to be up to speed come playoffs.

Willy does this everywhere he plays. Started slow in the Swedish hockey league as a rookie, crept up to a ppg by the end of the season, then was a ppg in that league the next year. In his first AHL season he started a bit slow, crept up to a ppg by season's end and then continued on that pace going forward. Seems he's now gotten comfortable in the NHL and I'd expect him to hang closer to his current pace going forward. He's very, very good. Amazing he's getting little recognition, but that's the just a testament to the quality of young players these last two years. Golden age, boys.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
After debate of what though? The thread is Calder race 2016/2017. If the race is over and the consensus is Matthews deserves the award I don't understand what there is to debate.

If Laine is the best European 18 year old ever not counting Russians and guys born on full moons. It's an important thing to figure out :shakehead

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How worse team mates can end up to playoffs, doesn't that mean the Leafs otherwise are worse than the Jets? And for the future - what kind of gipsy are you? Did you check it from your crystal ball that Matthews will have a brighter future than Laine? I mean what if Matthews will be like Andrew Raycroft or Steve Mason? You just can't stop this lunatic bias don't you? :laugh:

Most would say the Jets are the better team on paper with a superior back end and a top 10 player.

However we are better coached and have better goaltending and it would appear more scoring depth.

Matthews did not carry our team to the playoffs, that is an empty statement. He was one of many who helped make it happen.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
If Laine is the best European 18 year old ever not counting Russians and guys born on full moons. It's an important thing to figure out :shakehead

Well he just had the best European 18 year old season including Russians and guys born on full moon, like it or not. I'm not saying it means anything, that still happened. Why are you so irritated about that?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Nylander was even likely better than Matthews for those past 20 games or so, as good as Matthews was.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Nylander was even likely better than Matthews for those past 20 games or so, as good as Matthews was.

Wasent nylander touted as the best prospect from sweden since forsberg or something?

I remember that wjc tournament when he got concussed.

He was straight beast, you could tell he was on a different level back then..

He should be hypes as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad