Not open for further replies.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
PPG Laine

GPG Laine

APG Laine

+/- Laine

Also, Babcock led Leafs to playoffs.

But he was concussed and missed 8 games nost very winnable for jets.. also that sick day against the devils i believe?

Dude could easily hit 40 aswell but didnt.

Thats the main thing matthews didnt miss any games so he was there helping his team the whole season, Laine unfortuantly could not do that so small edges in those stats doesnt really help his case..

Btw an interesting stat

In wins
Laine 26g 45 points 36 games (used to be 25 games and 40 points^^)
Matthews 22g 40p 40 games

In losses
Laine 5g 13p 31 games
Matthews 5g (4 in first game) 9p in 27games

Dont know if this says anything really

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Laine is more deserving than some players that have actually won it somewhat recently, but Matthews should and will win it.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Total points - Matthews
Total goals - Matthews
Total assists - Matthews
#1 on team in points - Matthews
Better overall - Matthews
Harder position - Matthews
Worse teammates - Matthews
Going to playoffs - Matthews
Winning Calder - Matthews
Better future - Matthews

Ask the Jets how much Laine's pace helped them when he was out 9 games.

They lost 5 out 9 games without him....

Not sure how you know one will definatly be better in futuere...this one may come back to bite you TDK, :)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes I agree we can't say for sure he IS the best 18 year old european player in history.. but he IS factually the best scoring 18 year old european player in the history of NHL for what thats worth. Yes the eras are different and who knows what some of the legendary players from Russia, Sweden, Czech or Finland would have been able to do at the age of 18 if they'd been given the chance.. but players generally seem to be developing faster these days and seem more ready for big games at a younger age.

Having watched Teemu Selanne's career quite closely from beginning Im more impressed with Laine personally. But Teemu has ridiculous points total throughout his career as well as being the all time highest scoring player in the history of the olympics so to knock him off from his perch as the "greatest finn of all time" is pretty tall order and I dont excpect Laine to do it.

All of this is fair. He is that for sure. Again exciting player. Good fans. Love the finns (wife is Finnuck). Just a few are nuts. Like people argued that the NHL cheated him out of being 6 5 by waiting to measure him at the combine. Just nuts

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
But he was concussed and missed 8 games nost very winnable for jets.. also that sick day against the devils i believe?

Dude could easily hit 40 aswell but didnt.

Thats the main thing matthews didnt miss any games so he was there helping his team the whole season, Laine unfortuantly could not do that so small edges in those stats doesnt really help his case..

Btw an interesting stat

In wins
Laine 26g 45 points 36 games (used to be 25 games and 40 points^^)
Matthews 22g 40p 40 games

In losses
Laine 5g 13p 31 games
Matthews 5g (4 in first game) 9p in 27games

Dont know if this says anything really

Forgot to add overtime losses

Laine 5g 6p in 6 games (almost goal per game^^)
Matthews 13g 20p in 15 games (jeesus crist!!)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Not sure how you know one will definatly be better in futuere...this one may come back to bite you TDK, :)

IN those games though, Ehlers, Little and Scheifele had crazy points per game, all without Laine.

That shows that Laine's most consistent line-mates can produce without him, because they're much better players than Hyman.

But you know this Narrow, you're a good Laine fan. You've been fair to both players.

Cheers

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
IN those games though, Ehlers, Little and Scheifele had crazy points per game, all without Laine.

That shows that Laine's most consistent line-mates can produce without him, because they're much better players than Hyman.

But you know this Narrow, you're a good Laine fan. You've been fair to both players.

Cheers

Haha yeap especially scheifele has proven he is a diamond in the dirt, ehlers is awesome aswell (similar to nylander) but shown alot more that its only his second season.

Very inconsistent but when he is on just playing his game he is amazing.

And thanks man i appreciate it :)

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Oh my what a *********. Lesson nr. 1, never ever mention that Laine holds the rookie record of 18 year old europeans :laugh:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Oh my what a *********. Lesson nr. 1, never ever mention that Laine holds the rookie record of 18 year old europeans :laugh:

Yeah, dont mention his and matthews aeesome even strength numbers in relation or crosby and ovi or wild user "brovechkin" will appear...brutal.

Hehe there are lots of things better not mentioned because hockey fans in general seem unable to have a actual debate/discussion... note "hockeyfans" meaning all sides

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
If im reading it rigjt Forsbergs stats are pretty fun.
Due to lockout
Rookie seaso 47games 50 points 15goals 35 assists
Mcdavid rookie 45 games 48points 16 goals 32 assist

Sophomores season
Forsberg 82gp 30g 86a 116p
Mcdavid 82gp 30g 70a 100p

Their numbers are so similar!

Some Leafs fan*

He'calling the claim in your comment ridiculous, not the tournament.

Yes I know. I'm just posting ridiculous things when I read ridiculous things (projecting Laine to be BETTER then some all time greats). Your one of the good ones here, no need to interject :naughty:

Carry on Finnish Five... Turn this once great thread talking about all these great rookies into the Laine circle jerk thread. Even though he'll be 2nd, maybe 3rd in Calder voting :popcorn:

Last edited:

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
It's weird that this debate is still raging when Auston Matthews has so clearly separated himself from Laine in the Calder conversation. Werenski is the only one that has an argument but he's not going to win it in a year where the 1st overall pick was the runner up for the Richard trophy and the best player on a playoff team.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yes I know. I'm just posting ridiculous things when I read ridiculous things (projecting Laine to be BETTER then some all time greats). Your one of the good ones here, no need to interject :naughty:

Carry on Finnish Five... Turn this once great thread talking about all these great rookies into the Laine circle jerk thread. Even though he'll be 2nd, maybe 3rd in Calder voting :popcorn:

Haha am i included in the finnish five?

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
All of this is fair. He is that for sure. Again exciting player. Good fans. Love the finns (wife is Finnuck). Just a few are nuts. Like people argued that the NHL cheated him out of being 6 5 by waiting to measure him at the combine. Just nuts

Yeah, Finland is a passionate hockey nation and just like say, Toronto or Edmonton or any big hockey market there are a few crazies out there. Shouldn't paint any fanbase or nation with the same brush based on a handful of blind homers. :)

Yeah, dont mention his and matthews aeesome even strength numbers in relation or crosby and ovi or wild user "brovechkin" will appear...brutal.

Hehe there are lots of things better not mentioned because hockey fans in general seem unable to have a actual debate/discussion... note "hockeyfans" meaning all sides

Well, yeah.. that's just the thing. It always causes such a massive uproar when you dare to compare something a promising rookie has managed to do in relation to a legend.

Just because Laine or Matthews may have had a better 18/19 year old seasons than some of the guys who are held on some ridiculously high pedestal as being untouchable doesn't mean anyone is arguing they've already proven to be better players or that it means they'll definitely have better careers.. or at least I hope no one is arguing that.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It's weird that this debate is still raging when Auston Matthews has so clearly separated himself from Laine in the Calder conversation. Werenski is the only one that has an argument but he's not going to win it in a year where the 1st overall pick was the runner up for the Richard trophy and the best player on a playoff team.

This is some after debate..calder is barely beibg discussed most agree its matthews...

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
No, I said you were one of the good ones :yo:
Bb-but i want to be in a group aswell :( how about "Calder vets" and we just included good guys in it ^^

https://www.nhl.com/news/auston-mat...-calder-trophy-race/c-288641524?tid=277729400

14 NHL.com writers voted on the Calder Trophy. These are the results:

1) Matthews (12 first place votes)
2) Laine (1 first place vote)
3) Werenski (1 first place vote)
4) Murray
5) Marner
6) Tkachuk
7) Nylander
8) Skjei

This aint the official vote or?

Will probably be similar results tho :yo:

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017

Yeah people seem to be extra sensitive when talking about these two. It's the result of two very passionate fanbases meeting eachother for the first time. Actually we have a lot in common. Leafs been sucking for long and not having some high end talent in a long time and Finland has always been the underdog and we haven't had this kind of talent since Selänne. The Leafs franchise was founded in 1917, Finland got indpendence 1917 :laugh:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
After debate of what though? The thread is Calder race 2016/2017. If the race is over and the consensus is Matthews deserves the award I don't understand what there is to debate.

Well this year has been extraordinary, on these two the debate will likely only slow down never end.

Besides these threads has barely been about the calder, more like the skill and abilities of mainly the top 2 rookies:)

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Bb-but i want to be in a group aswell :( how about "Calder vets" and we just included good guys in it ^^

This aint the official vote or?

Will probably be similar results tho :yo:

Not an official vote, no. They're just voting amongst themselves for the purposes of the article. Although I don't know if any of them are members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, which does choose the Calder winner (among other awards).

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yeah people seem to be extra sensitive when talking about these two. It's the result of two very passionate fanbases meeting eachother for the first time. Actually we have a lot in common. Leafs been sucking for long and not having some high end talent in a long time and Finland has always been the underdog and we haven't had this kind of talent since Selänne. The Leafs franchise was founded in 1917, Finland got indpendence 1917 :laugh:

Beeen saying this for a while, plus finns colors = leafs colors ^^

Should really join arms... finns + leafs = most likely bigger fanbase than rest of top 5 nhl fanbases. ^^

Anyways imagine if leafs would have drafted both laine and matty somehow :o:popcorn:

Rest of hfboards would be petrified

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Although I do believe Matthews will have the better future (Laine and Matthews seem to be very close offensively, in which case Matthews' position will always make him more valuable than Laine), I was throwing that in as a little extra unsubstantiated "fact" since apparently +/- is "factually" indicative of defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad