Waived: Cal Peterson Waived

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Its really wild to think Cal was scapegoated and things are back to business as usual.
He was not good. But the final straw for him was to come into a game they had already given up 5 goals in and not save the day?
That Toronto game should be proof that the issues are deeper than Cal playing poorly. So far no other player has been scratched, benched, or thrown under the bus like Cal yet the game outcomes are the same as before he was sent down.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Its really wild to think Cal was scapegoated and things are back to business as usual.
He was not good. But the final straw for him was to come into a game they had already given up 5 goals in and not save the day?
That Toronto game should be proof that the issues are deeper than Cal playing poorly. So far no other player has been scratched, benched, or thrown under the bus like Cal yet the game outcomes are the same as before he was sent down.

Yep.

looks more and more every day like a "hey look over here" stunt.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yep.

looks more and more every day like a "hey look over here" stunt.
I suppose they might argue that Kempe got a demotion but if they wanted to send a real message you take Doughty and Kopitar off the pp altogether, or as a half message you put them on pp2. There is also a case for Roy to be the odd man out defensively for a game. I have no problem with Cal goin down, but I object to it being the only thing done as it’s clearly changed nothing for the skaters.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The first goal against Quick during the CBJ made me think of this article, though I wonder if that's confirmation bias.

Quick went out to challenge the shooter at 0:13, but makes another move at 0:14 to go out even further to the right. At that point, CBJ 34 (Sillinger) and LAK 3 (Roy) are between Quick and where he needs to move because of the pass.

Obviously, this whole play was caused by the Edler --> Grundstrom pass to the middle not connecting. But where Quick ends up is weird. at 0:32, you can see that he's making the move to cover the opening on the stick side. But shouldn't that have included a vector toward the right post?

I don't know. On the second goal Quick makes a great move off the post to get squared up. Strong but small. The tip was just magical.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I was at the Firebirds Reign game last night. First time I've seen Cal live all season. Seems to me he really goes down early and his rebound control was a bit iffy at times, but not many other issues I can see other than that. Reign ended up losing because they got away from their game in the third.

I was a little torn because the firebirds are my home team so I would have been happy with either team winning. You can tell the Reign out talent the Firebirds, but Bylsma has the Firebirds playing with his scrappy hardworking identity.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Flyer fan interested to hear what you think about Cal's future. He may get a chance to be a back-up to Cahter Hart in Philly, Flyers also have 2 young goalies they can easily turn to for reliable back-up duties for a Flyers squad not looking to challenge for much, except that Cal's buried salary may be an issue, team has 3 important RFAs to sign still which will determine if they try to stay out of LTIR territory or not to accumulate some trade deadline cap space.

Cal's stints with USA at World Championships were more than fine. And looking over his play, and that of his teammates in 2022-23 at least, I can easily see him making a rebound. He had some good starts, but more bads ones, and no goalie in LA looked good in the fall of 2022, and that last game before he got sent down was simply bananas.

Not sure if Philly's play in front of him will be better than LAs, but we do have John Tortarella running the show, and we're likely to dump another defensive hole shortly ala Tony DeAngelo.

So. For those of you who watched his rise and fall, would be happy to hear what you think he's capable of. Even if we all know that when it comes to goalkeepers, there's very little to predict with confidence except "expect wild swings in results!".

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Flyer fan interested to hear what you think about Cal's future. He may get a chance to be a back-up to Cahter Hart in Philly, Flyers also have 2 young goalies they can easily turn to for reliable back-up duties for a Flyers squad not looking to challenge for much, except that Cal's buried salary may be an issue, team has 3 important RFAs to sign still which will determine if they try to stay out of LTIR territory or not to accumulate some trade deadline cap space.

Cal's stints with USA at World Championships were more than fine. And looking over his play, and that of his teammates in 2022-23 at least, I can easily see him making a rebound. He had some good starts, but more bads ones, and no goalie in LA looked good in the fall of 2022, and that last game before he got sent down was simply bananas.

Not sure if Philly's play in front of him will be better than LAs, but we do have John Tortarella running the show, and we're likely to dump another defensive hole shortly ala Tony DeAngelo.

So. For those of you who watched his rise and fall, would be happy to hear what you think he's capable of. Even if we all know that when it comes to goalkeepers, there's very little to predict with confidence except "expect wild swings in results!".
It's honestly very hard to say. Petersen just had this gradual decrease in performance until he fell off a cliff.

He just never made a big save to change the momentum, and he struggled to make normal saves to uphold the momentum.

Last season, it wasn't even that pucks would squeak through him. He just would get beat cleanly.

At this stage, he might benefit more from a team that emphasizes shot blocking. He's struggled to keep track of the puck anyway, so if you can limit first chances, it might get his confidence and thus his focus back. Once back in form, you can at least count on him making routine saves, but don't expect one who steals games.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

His play at the World Championships is what helped earned him the contract. However, since then he has been steadily declining and was getting beat from everywhere in all situations. He has the tools, but he is lost mentally and I don't think he can regain confidence, to be honest. He is the poster child of the headcase goalie.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Two words. Mental Midget.

You don’t lose that kind of fragility. I would keep your expectations extremely low and forget about World Championships.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Thanks for the responses,.

One more quick question for my own sake. How did he compare to Quick, playing in front of the same team, this last season and previously? Of course I am looking for signs of an easy rehabilitation, and saying that Quick played just as badly is one of those signs. Just say what you think.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
His play at the World Championships is what helped earned him the contract. However, since then he has been steadily declining and was getting beat from everywhere in all situations. He has the tools, but he is lost mentally and I don't think he can regain confidence, to be honest. He is the poster child of the headcase goalie.
I was just considering the 2023 World Championships, as a small bounceback in his play...should have said as much.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

One more quick question for my own sake. How did he compare to Quick, playing in front of the same team, this last season and previously? Of course I am looking for signs of an easy rehabilitation, and saying that Quick played just as badly is one of those signs. Just say what you think.
Quick's play didn't improve much with Vegas. While a healthy dose of Edler, Walker, Durzi didn't help, it seems both goalies had struggles on their own. Pheonix, career AHLer, was an upgrade over both at the end.

Hopefully Cal can rebound.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think a new goalie coach might help get him a different mental mindset. He has the tools to be great but just lost confidence completely.

But with Philly's history with goalies... no offense, but he might not be in the best place to be rehabilitated.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Quick still outplayed him every season. He was brought in to eventually replace Quick, but even at his worst, Quick still outplayed Petersen.

Copley should have played from the beginning, though. He had a better preseason than both.

Reactions: YP44

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
thanks all for your thoughts. Flyer forum has nothing to discuss Cal, so this is very helpful. feel free to give more advice or viewpoints. myself, I have an optimist's viewpoint, that a new player on my team's roster, in the prototypical swing position, can swing their way back to NHL reliability. I hope he gets a good shot at an NHL job, the Flyers can manage it in every way...cap-wise, and expectations-wise...with a small reward awaiting them possibly in a trade situation.

Just not Tortarella-wise maybe. We'll see what happens!

Reactions: King'sPawn

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
thanks all for your thoughts. Flyer forum has nothing to discuss Cal, so this is very helpful. feel free to give more advice or viewpoints. myself, I have an optimist's viewpoint, that a new player on my team's roster, in the prototypical swing position, can swing their way back to NHL reliability. I hope he gets a good shot at an NHL job, the Flyers can manage it in every way...cap-wise, and expectations-wise...with a small reward awaiting them possibly in a trade situation.

His problems are between the ears. he has skill. Hopefully this trade was a wakeup call and he is able to get it together.
With Torts.... it's probably going to be make or break with him

Reactions: King'sPawn

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Cal could recover on another team. He and Quick were equally bad and needed a change of scenery. It’s not as if Cal was actively losing games for the Kings, but the Kings had to outscore opponents to win his games.

He is primarily a positional goalie. The Kings were really not good in their own zone early last season, and Cal could not make the big saves to account for that. Quick was not quite big enough to cover the top three inches of the net. Pretty ugly pairing for two months.

I would argue that Quick was worse than Cal, but the Kings preferred to send Cal down to the minors due to seniority.

If Cal has a goalie coach that makes a few changes, he could recover. My guess is that he won’t look great behind a rebuilding Flyers team, but he will be a decent backup. Just don’t look for him to win you a bunch of games.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Petersen's performance this season was the worst I've seen in the NHL since Dan Cloutier.

There were 79 goalies who played at least 10 games this year. Petersen ranked 79th among them in GSAE/60.

There were 105 goalies who faced at least one 'high danger' shot this year. Petersen ranked 105th with a ridiculous .313 SV% on high danger shots.

No other goalie in the NHL had a sub .500 SV% on high danger shots.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Petersen's performance this season was the worst I've seen in the NHL since Dan Cloutier.

There were 79 goalies who played at least 10 games this year. Petersen ranked 79th among them in GSAE/60.

There were 105 goalies who faced at least one 'high danger' shot this year. Petersen ranked 105th with a ridiculous .313 SV% on high danger shots.

Every shot on Petersen was high danger, to my liver anyway. Hope dude can get his head right and make a recovery.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

great stats that jive with the eye test

dude just melted anytime there was danger, i've never seen anything quite like it

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He lost his confidence and then stopped playing his game, which is positional and controlled. Instead he was the opposite. It’s hard to see him recover at this point. Although it’s possible with a change of scenery and perhaps a good sport’s psychological, it isn’t probable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad