Player Discussion: Cal Foote

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You're right, Coburn's game really came together because of his skating. I guess I meant more in the sense that he carved out a really nice career without much flash despite being a very high pick. Ended up being a relied upon vet for many years despite perhaps not being a typical #8 overall in hindsight.

Should've said Eric Brewer.

Brewer is a good comparison also, honestly feels like we're just drifting the to Adam Foote mold of players. His dad wasn't an elite skater or a bit offensive contributor, he just made a living out of being big and hard to play against.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I like what I've seen. Shot still looks really deadly and he's a bit more comfortable being active in the offensive zone.

Gap control isn't very good, but it feels like he *seems* less slow as his reaction time is improving.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's looking a little more comfortable, jumping in on some rushes offensively. Pretty solid with his positioning in his own end, not afraid to get physical (probably needs to add a few pounds of muscle), great shot, just needs to create some space to get the shot through to the net and not blocked.

My only concern is his lack of foot speed (pun not intended), just not very impressive with his skating abilities, but he's been in solid positioning where it hasn't burned him much/yet

Happy with the progress he's making

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Already>Rutta and >>Schenn , although that is not a high bar to go over. As Englebore said a couple of times about Sergachev, a NHL Dman needs 350 games to round out their game.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Already>Rutta and >>Schenn , although that is not a high bar to go over. As Englebore said a couple of times about Sergachev, a NHL Dman needs 350 games to round out their game.

This is a reason why I don't want to go out and get a RD. If we get a rental RD I can see Cooper going rental, Cernak then vet(Rutta/Schenn) with Foote being scratched occasionally and only playing when we go 7D. I think he needs to be an every game player with his minutes slowly going up. Rotate Rutta and Schenn if Rutta struggles but I prefer he plays and Schenn just sits unless we need some toughness for a certain matchup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's improving but man that first step is just brutal, I think 3 different guys in the last couple games have completely beat him and shrugged off that 6'4 frame because they were able to get ahead of him.

Reactions: NatoGhost

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Agreed he has a lot of tools if he can just gain some explosive quickness it will really help his overall game. In the offseason between he needs to focus on just skating / and with whoever trains explosive launches/starts lol.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
His last couple of games have been decent. He still has some possession issues in his own zone and just sometimes gives the vibe of being aloof defensively, but a lot of our success without 27/81 will hinge on his ability to pick up his play.

Last three games have seen him at 21+, 19+, and 20+ minutes and was only a minus in that CBJ game last night. Hard to expect a lot from a kid that green but we kind of need it right now.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He has some trouble with speed to the outside. His length will make up for that once his reaction time improves.

He's a willing shot blocker and is decent with his stick. I'd like an upgrade for this run but overall he has been okay.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
His skating just looks so unnatural and not fluid.

A few instances of being out of position, but honestly, he's getting better as the games add up. More comfortable. Im happy with the progress. He's going to be getting big minutes next game with no Rutta or Cernak

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
His skating just looks so unnatural and not fluid.

A few instances of being out of position, but honestly, he's getting better as the games add up. More comfortable. Im happy with the progress. He's going to be getting big minutes next game with no Rutta or Cernak
This may also become one of those teachable moments as he is getting more minutes. I doubt his conditioning is great and obviously the experience isn't there but when he is back to 12-15 minutes hopefully this benefits him.

I'd say the biggest positive is I'm not seeing those Sustr-level whoopsies. He makes mistakes but they're the type developing players make.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's just wayyy to passive, I just don't know if that skating can get any better if this is your draft+4 year. Guys have already figured him out, if you come in with speed and pull the breaks Foote's gap control becomes really bad, he's been caught wide a ton as well it just seems like there's so many ways to get around him or get him to back up enough to make a play.

What separates him from Sustr is that he does have good positioning but at the same you're going to get hemmed a lot when Foote is on the ice.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's just wayyy to passive, I just don't know if that skating can get any better if this is your draft+4 year. Guys have already figured him out, if you come in with speed and pull the breaks Foote's gap control becomes really bad, he's been caught wide a ton as well it just seems like there's so many ways to get around him or get him to back up enough to make a play.

What separates him from Sustr is that he does have good positioning but at the same you're going to get hemmed a lot when Foote is on the ice.
Foote can counter the lack of speed with higher defensive IQ and positioning though. He'll learn when to pinch or just backoff and simply be a defensive d-man already ready to be in his own end and then try and take the body, or push forwards to the outside.

He has been burned a few times in the neutral zone due to his skating, but it's not happening every shift or anything so I'm not too worried about it for the rookie. Defence learn a lot of hard lessons while developing and take a few years.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Foote's goal from tonight. He had 2 points and was named 3rd star.

And his assist from yesterday

4 points in 5 games since he rejoined Syracuse.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
JBB on Cal Foote yesterday:
“What we want to see from him is continued growth. Keep pushing the pace, be assertive out there. I thought he took huge strides last year.”
“He had a really good year last year. Showed progression throughout the year. He’s shown progression over the last few seasons and with continued growth I expect he’ll be a regular at some point.”

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He has to have a perfect game because he is utterly unable to recover from mistakes with that skating. And that's not happening.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Foote won't be anything more than a number 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad