Player Discussion: Cal Foote

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Hes being baptized by fire right now. He's been improving the last month and a half or so.

Little flashes of offensive upside, has a mean streak in him. Incredible shot if he'd hit the net.

We all talk about his skating, if he can improve his first three strides by even 50% he'll be a quote serviceable 2nd pairing D should he continue to develop in the right direction. No complaints about him really this series
He has a lot of poise with the puck. Made a really, really smooth play to evade the fore check in OT. People fixate too much on skating. Foote isn't a forward, and he doesn't play in a system predicated on burning the opposition in transition. Ekblad and Weegar are both terrible skaters, and they're still top pair d-men. Juolevi was known as like the worst skater in the league, and that wasn't a noticeable problem while he was with us.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hes being baptized by fire right now. He's been improving the last month and a half or so.

Little flashes of offensive upside, has a mean streak in him. Incredible shot if he'd hit the net.

We all talk about his skating, if he can improve his first three strides by even 50% he'll be a quote serviceable 2nd pairing D should he continue to develop in the right direction. No complaints about him really this series

It's funny how sometimes pressure brings out the best in us. I'm not comparing myself to hockey players but that's so often been the case for me too.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Thought I'd bump this thread to ask: what's going on with him? I thought he played really well in the Leafs and Panthers series, but then got bumped after the Lightning went down 0-2 to the Rangers and never saw the ice again. Lightning proceeded to run off 4 straight, and with speedy Colorado in the finals I doubt he's going to get the nod in this series either unless someone gets hurt.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just a victim of the numbers game imo. 11-7 wasn't cutting it against the Rangers. We needed another forward in there and better set lines especially with Point out.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Just a victim of the numbers game imo. 11-7 wasn't cutting it against the Rangers. We needed another forward in there and better set lines especially with Point out.
Plus Bogo has played forward so he was more of a two way player when he was on the ice.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Even if he doesn't play another game this playoffs, I am satisfied with his performance. He gave us a legitimate option and was not a liablity like we expected
Totally agree and weirdly enough might make some expendable next season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Foote was playing fine but always looked like he was 1 step away from being caught in a bad position. Bogo and Rutta are more mobile and that helped against the Rangers offense, Cooper will likely stick with them against the Avs too.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We really need one or both of him and Myers to both find their game this year.
If all of our defense 25 and under take a step forward Sergachev, Cernak, Foote, and Myers we will be in fantastic shape. If one 3 of them them we will be in great shape. If two of them do we will be in good shape and if only one of them do we are screwed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How much potensial does Callan have, since he is #14. What established players can he be compared with?
He was pretty solid last season I’d say. Made some strides in the right direction. Couldn’t earn the coaches’ trust in the playoffs yet but if his trend continues he could be looking at a career as a “stay at home” 2RD.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He has the inside track in a group of about 4-5 guys I think are NHL or borderline NHL defenders behind Cernak at RD. Kinda scary but he'll probably be our second best RD with Bogo out for a while.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Thought he played well in the Toronto series but I'm not sure if he can keep that up for a full year. Even when he was playing well it was always like he was half a second away from a bad mistake every time, he just doesn't buy himself a lot of time with that skating.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They seem to have a lot of confidence that Myers can be effective, and take over the role Rutta had. Perbix could also surprise some if he gets an actual shot, but it's probably Myers, Cernak and Foote, with Fleury rotating in, as RD depth until Bogo gets back. If Myers does well with Hedman, Bogo and Foote can rotate at 3RD next to Cole. If Myers is terrible, Bogo can work with Hedman and Myers can be sent down/waived or traded, if there are any takers. Once Cirelli and Bogo come back, provided no one else has gone on ltir, the team will need to send down/trade one of Myers, Fleury, or whomever gets the F spot between likely ABB, Koepke or Fortier.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Foote definitely has a #4 type ceiling, but no way he should be considered for the top pairing next to Hedman, as I've seen on multiple mock rosters around. If Myers is really terrible, I could see them trying Foote in tbe top 4, either with Serg or Hedman on a limited basis, but I doubt he will be able to effectively handle those matchups. They could try Serg with Hedman, Cernak with Cole, and then Fleury at 3LD with Foote or Myers at 3RD until Bogo gets back, if the Myers experiment doesn't seem to be working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad