Player Discussion: Cal Foote

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Shattenkirk managed to do okay enough for not being a defensive minded guy, but yeah it's trickier.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Shattenkirk managed to do okay enough for not being a defensive minded guy, but yeah it's trickier.

Shattenkirk while a dud defensively is excellent at what he does offensively, if you have a strength like that you work with it and we got him on a bargain so it was worth the shot.

We have 3 guys who can carry a pairing where we can get away with less talent on the right which saves cost on defensive depth. Having a stacked pairing is diminishing returns now a days, smarter to have good defenseman spread out to cover more game time.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Shattenkirk while a dud defensively is excellent at what he does offensively, if you have a strength like that you work with it and we got him on a bargain so it was worth the shot.

We have 3 guys who can carry a pairing where we can get away with less talent on the right which saves cost on defensive depth. Having a stacked pairing is diminishing returns now a days, smarter to have good defenseman spread out to cover more game time.
For being a 5/6 here in TB he wasn't a dud defensively. It is not his strength, but he was fine.

I've been watching some Ducks games and he is going to be a big loss. He's a solid #4 in Anaheim

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
For being a 5/6 here in TB he wasn't a dud defensively. It is not his strength, but he was fine.

I've been watching some Ducks games and he is going to be a big loss. He's a solid #4 in Anaheim
We were never going to keep him. He came to try and earn a new contract by playing on a stacked offensive team. He did that and it paid off for him.

Good for him, wish him well, but this was always going to be a one year stop for him, so there's no point in wondering about "what might have been".

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We were never going to keep him. He came to try and earn a new contract by playing on a stacked offensive team. He did that and it paid off for him.

Good for him, wish him well, but this was always going to be a one year stop for him, so there's no point in wondering about "what might have been".
true

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Foote:
"The thing is we aren't going to bury these guys down there. The taxi squad's the taxi squad. They knew that going in that they weren't sure if they would get in at all. And part of having that is in case situations like Washington pop up. So you're going to need players and that's why it's a difficult spot to be in on that taxi squad knowing you might not get in for weeks. So you got to be up front with the players and how that's going."
"As for Footer, Footer's going to get in. Like we said before, he's had a great start to his career before in the first game. We are slowly going to get him into games at some point and he knows that. Being around our environment, being around our players, practicing with us, because you have to remember his first real practices were 6 days of training camp and that's all he's had. The more he's with us, the more comfortable he'll be, and be that much better when he gets in."

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Translation: "We don't trust him over Luke Schenn just yet."
How much difference can there really be? And how much does it matter this early in the season? After reading Coops quotes I think the organization is truly bringing him along slowly, trying to give him a bit of extended preseason to ensure when Foote does get a 5 or so game run that he has the best shot possible to be successful and build confidence.

we will see how it goes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm actually more excited to see how Borgman performs given his camp. Foote can wait.

Reactions: Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Foote was actually not bad today. My concern is his footspeed, especially his first step, and if he's going to overcome that. You just don't see a lot of quality defensemen in the NHL who skate like that. But, credit where its due, he didn't make any big mistakes that I saw today.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I hope we keep playing him. The kid needs to play if he’s ever going to adapt to the game up here, but also we need to know what we have for another playoff run. We used 9 defensemen last year in the playoffs, but we don’t have the same depth this season. I would still like to see Borgman eventually too.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He made nice nice play against the CBJ the rush today and showed off his shot from the point.

Definitely improved from game 1 for him. But yeah, speed is an issue

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
was it only me but almost whole time he was on the ice i was screming "Use yooooour bodyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"? he looks very nervous,slow and shy on the ice i wish he could use his body more and stop being so shy on the ice, it looks like he forgets how to play when he is on the ice,i understand its because nerves,but duuude,stop thinking a lot u know game u can play just go out there and enjoy hockey)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
was it only me but almost whole time he was on the ice i was screming "Use yooooour bodyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"? he looks very nervous,slow and shy on the ice i wish he could use his body more and stop being so shy on the ice, it looks like he forgets how to play when he is on the ice,i understand its because nerves,but duuude,stop thinking a lot u know game u can play just go out there and enjoy hockey)
He bulldozed a guy behind the net in this one. In general I think guys are getting away from him before he can get physical though.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
He bulldozed a guy behind the net in this one. In general I think guys are getting away from him before he can get physical though.
i remeber this one,but he did it once,he has a big body use it like Schenn or Bogo,use it if u are slow use it if u loss ur position,i dont say Foote is bad but he doesn use his benefits,and he is very very shy on the ice, i hope soon he will stp being so shy he will feel NHL game and he will be good asset in D)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
i remeber this one,but he did it once,he has a big body use it like Schenn or Bogo,use it if u are slow use it if u loss ur position,i dont say Foote is bad but he doesn use his benefits,and he is very very shy on the ice, i hope soon he will stp being so shy he will feel NHL game and he will be good asset in D)
Honestly I think those two are both better skaters. I don't notice Schenn is a poor skater until I pay attention. Foote actually draws my eye because it's like a "one of these things is not like the others" situation.

Part of it is just butterflies, I'm sure. But I think any physicality from him is gonna be situations at a dead stop, like the one behind the net.

Reactions: Peacefool

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Honestly I think those two are both better skaters. I don't notice Schenn is a poor skater until I pay attention. Foote actually draws my eye because it's like a "one of these things is not like the others" situation.

Part of it is just butterflies, I'm sure. But I think any physicality from him is gonna be situations at a dead stop, like the one behind the net.
i think as soon he wont be nervous on the ice when he stops being shy he can be good 3rd pairing D for now,and he can be even better after sometime,but he needs to stop being shy and enjoy hockey)

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He had a great goal and is improving for a rookie. I think he turns into at best Shatterkirk with a little more grit and defensive skills and realistically a Dennis Wideman? A solid 3/4 guy who can contribute on the PP with a shot and qb skills.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He had a great goal and is improving for a rookie. I think he turns into at best Shatterkirk with a little more grit and defensive skills and realistically a Dennis Wideman? A solid 3/4 guy who can contribute on the PP with a shot and qb skills.
He is not at all like Shatty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad