Cage wearers PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Or terribles need to keep their sticks down. That shouldn't be too difficult though, because it's in the rules. So by definition, high sticks should be very easy to keep out of the game, no?

We should just have a sticky with one sentence in it:

"If you do not wear a cage you are bad and dumb and responsible for the collapse of society, you reckless shmuck. Shame on you."

Seriously, good for you, wear your cage. Don't try to tell other people that they're dumb for not wearing one.

I'll say it. If your not getting paid to play hockey playing without a cage is dumb. I'm not saying people that play without them are dumb I'm saying the decision is dumb. I'm not saying getting hit in the face is a non cage wearer's fault but they assume the risk when they go without one. The best example I can think of that I've seen here is wearing a seat belt. You know when you get in a car the chances of you getting in an accident is small but you can't control what other people do and accidents are common occurrences. It's the same with high sticks. They are accidents and common occurrences and it's not just bad players or cage wearers that are guilty of high sticks.

If you are playing very hard and battling high sticking someone on accident is almost inevitable usually when attempting to lift a stick. I rarely high stick someone and when I do I feel terrible but it happens in hockey so I make sure to wear a cage. It's not changing so no use *****ing about it.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
So if you're going through an intersection and someone runs the light going a buck twenty and t-bones you into oblivion, but you weren't wearing your seatbelt, you just suck it up? Or say you're riding your bike and a car swerves into you and sends you to the hospital, do you just deal with it because you weren't wearing a helmet? Sounds logical.

What else are you supposed to do? You can be pissed all you want, but you're still the one in the hospital. And if wearing a helmet had of kept you out of the hospital, then you should have worn the helmet. Your choice not to.

I get what you're saying. But think about how many high sticking penalties there are every year in the NHL. Now realize you are playing at a level much lower than the NHL. To expect people to keep their sticks down all the time is extremely unrealistic when the guys at the highest level can't even do it. Yes its your right to not wear a cage, but if a stick or a puck ends up in your face (which seems to be a common occurrence), and you could have prevented the damage, its was ultimately your choice to go with out the protection.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
What else are you supposed to do? You can be pissed all you want, but you're still the one in the hospital. And if wearing a helmet had of kept you out of the hospital, then you should have worn the helmet. Your choice not to.

I get what you're saying. But think about how many high sticking penalties there are every year in the NHL. Now realize you are playing at a level much lower than the NHL. To expect people to keep their sticks down all the time is extremely unrealistic when the guys at the highest level can't even do it. Yes its your right to not wear a cage, but if a stick or a puck ends up in your face (which seems to be a common occurrence), and you could have prevented the damage, its was ultimately your choice to go with out the protection.

Right, and all I'm saying is that you don't forfeit ALL RIGHT TO BE ANGRY when someone does something dumb outside the rules and hurts you. That's a stupid position to take, and just as stupid when you apply it to anything else.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
If you are playing very hard and battling high sticking someone on accident is almost inevitable usually when attempting to lift a stick.

No, it's not. And therein lies the problem. There are too many people that think this is okay, and just a part of playing hard. If you can't control your stick when you're attempting to stick check someone, then don't do it. Good, responsible players rarely high stick someone, ever, because they realize how dangerous it is.

Regardless of the stupid cage vs. no cage argument, people need to keep their sticks down and everyone needs to pressure the idiots who don't. The problem is too many people think 'it's just part of the game', which is why we have this problem. It's also precisely the reason the NCAA coaches have been trying to get cages OUT of their game for years and why they just might do it this year.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I have been playing the game for over 25 years. After high school was over i experimented with a visor for 6 months or so in various beer and college leagues. I had been using a cage my entire life up to that point.

A few close calls was too much to ignore and after that trial period I went back to the cage. You never know the skill level of others on the ice around you, whether its an errant stick or a puck that is shot high or deflected. Cage design has come a long way since I was a kid, and I find the newer Bauer models with the thin profile/grey colored cages is a vast improvement from what I had in past years.

I do not mind wearing it at all, and its preferably to losing teeth, breaking a nose, or worse.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I wore a visor for the majority of the 19 years I've been playing hockey, now wear a cage and I think cages should be mandatory for rec leagues. My thinking is insurance costs for the rink would drop, injuries would drop and that savings can be passed on to the players when they sign up for leagues. But, hockey is kind of an archaic sport with some archaic attitudes so it probably will never change. For me I enjoy the security of knowing that I will most likely leave the rink with all my teeth in my mouth, won't need to make a trip to the ER or an emergency trip to the dentist and I will be able to live a nice, healthy life on and off the ice. And those times when you catch a stick or puck to the cage gives you that nice smile where you know you're helping the evolution of our species.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Here's a better way to re-frame this discussion:

Beginners, keep your sticks down!

You're confusing correlation with causation.

It's true more cage wearers need to control their sticks. But it's not because they wear a cage, it's because they are newer players or started as adults and didn't learn properly. Throwing a visor on a beginner won't keep sticks down.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
No, it's not. And therein lies the problem. There are too many people that think this is okay, and just a part of playing hard. If you can't control your stick when you're attempting to stick check someone, then don't do it. Good, responsible players rarely high stick someone, ever, because they realize how dangerous it is.

Regardless of the stupid cage vs. no cage argument, people need to keep their sticks down and everyone needs to pressure the idiots who don't. The problem is too many people think 'it's just part of the game', which is why we have this problem. It's also precisely the reason the NCAA coaches have been trying to get cages OUT of their game for years and why they just might do it this year.

Agreed, people definitely need to control their sticks. But it happens by accident way too often. How many times do you see a stick sliding up the shaft of another? How about follow throughs? How about scrums where sticks are getting thrown up by other sticks? And those are only the stick fouls, you get random elbows, shoulders to the head all the time as well.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I wore a visor for the majority of the 19 years I've been playing hockey, now wear a cage and I think cages should be mandatory for rec leagues. My thinking is insurance costs for the rink would drop, injuries would drop and that savings can be passed on to the players when they sign up for leagues. But, hockey is kind of an archaic sport with some archaic attitudes so it probably will never change. For me I enjoy the security of knowing that I will most likely leave the rink with all my teeth in my mouth, won't need to make a trip to the ER or an emergency trip to the dentist and I will be able to live a nice, healthy life on and off the ice. And those times when you catch a stick or puck to the cage gives you that nice smile where you know you're helping the evolution of our species.

That's fine you want to wear one, but it is not even close to ok that you want to tell everyone else they have to wear one. What's next, helmets for driving, you know to lower insurance costs?

I don't care if someone wears one, as long as they don't go acting all tough or think they are invincible because of the cage. I also don't want to be told what I should wear. It's men's league, and I will make my choice as an adult.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Here's a better way to re-frame this discussion:

Beginners, keep your sticks down!

You're confusing correlation with causation.

It's true more cage wearers need to control their sticks. But it's not because they wear a cage, it's because they are newer players or started as adults and didn't learn properly. Throwing a visor on a beginner won't keep sticks down.

I agree that the OP shouldn't have singled out cage wearers. But this discussion inevitably turns to the assertion that anyone who forgoes a cage is a reckless idiot and deserves whatever they get, and that's just Pejorative Slured.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, people definitely need to control their sticks. But it happens by accident way too often. How many times do you see a stick sliding up the shaft of another? How about follow throughs? How about scrums where sticks are getting thrown up by other sticks? And those are only the stick fouls, you get random elbows, shoulders to the head all the time as well.

Those are accidents. Accidents happen. Everyone who doesnt wear a cage knows it is possible. It is the people who skate with their stick above their waist that are the issue.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

These can all happen and I think that most of the people who dont wear cages are aware of this possibility. I think that if EVERYONE wore full cages it would not be a big deal, but the problem is that there are generations of kids who grew up where everyone did wear a cage and now they end up playing in a league with guys with shields or au naturel. I'm not blaming the kids, per se, but they simply do not have the situational awareness of where their sticks are and many are blissfully ignorant of the consequences. Why ? Because if everyone has a cage, a few high sticks are not a big deal. A lot of kids view getting your stick up in someones face the same as a tap on the shinpads.

I've even seen people argue about penalties because the recipient could not have been hurt by a careless stick. That is lunacy. Players should be held accountable for their sticks the same way they should be accountable for not running a guy in the numbers. If some neck brace were developed that essentially drastically reduced injury from getting run from behind, would people be as blase about this as they are about loosey-goosey sticks ?

Hockey is an inherently physical and potentially violent game. Every time you step on the ice you have to realize that if someone on the other team wanted to hurt you, really wanted to hurt you, you would likely be powerless to stop it. There has to be some amount of at least begrudging respect ( and a way to weed out the psycopaths).
Guys who play loose and easy with their sticks violate this trust. If a guy thinks noting of getting his stick in your face because he the likelihood of injury is slim, then the same rationalization can be applied to him sticking out a knee if he thinks you wont get injured.

A common saying is that character is who we are when no one is watching, I think that this applies equally to guys who play fast and lose with their sticks, I don't want guys getting their sticks up when they play even IF the likelihood of injury is removed from the equation. I think this might be the reasoning behind the NCAA considering getting rid of cages as when I watch the NCAA I am appaled at how some players use their sticks.

I think that this isnt an either or thing, yes people who chose shields know that they are not as safe as a cage, the real question is whether the people wearing cages know this as well.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
This whole argument is circular. Guys who wear cages don't understand why you would risk injury when you could wear a cage and prevent it. Guys who don't wear a cage don't understand why people can't keep their sticks down.

Moral of the story, guys who wear cages, keep your sticks down. Guys who don't, know you're taking the risk of an accident happening.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
I agree that the OP shouldn't have singled out cage wearers. But this discussion inevitably turns to the assertion that anyone who forgoes a cage is a reckless idiot and deserves whatever they get, and that's just Pejorative Slured.

I agree that it is dumb to conclude that anyone who foregoes a cage is a reckless idiot, but I do think it is fair to say that anyone who foregoes a cage is assuming more risk when they are on the ice. Whether that be a high stick (from a beginner with a visor or a 20 year veteran with a cage), or blocking a shot, puck deflected, etc.

Everyone is required to wear a full cage at my local rink, so it is a foreign concept to me to have games going on where some players have cages and some don't. The adult league at this rink is non checking. However, the bronze (lowest level) games have the most contact simply becuase it has teams full of the least experienced skaters who don't have enough control on their skates. It is fair to say that you assume more risk when you play with newbies, dude may want to stop, he may want to turn to avoid contact, but that doesn't mean he will be able to.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
The problem with this argument is that both sides have a strong basis for agreement, based on the frame of mind of the arguer. I wear a cage because i am pretty new to the game and it gives me confidence in the corners and what not, but i do like the idea of no cage at times. Can't we all just get along?!:nod:

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Perhaps you should swallow your pride and wear a cage. Wearing a visor doesnt make you a tough guy. :shakehead

See, this is what I'm talking about. It's annoying. Nobody said that wearing a visor made you a tough guy. Some people don't like cages. Stop insulting people who make different choices than you do.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Perhaps you should swallow your pride and wear a cage. Wearing a visor doesnt make you a tough guy. :shakehead

Should win Pejorative Slured post of the day.
He doesn't think he's tough nor do I because we wear visors.
It's just of my opinion that some - not all, cage wearers are not thinking of keeping your stick down since they won't suffer the same consequences. Your wearing so much padding out there that its easy to feel like you're wearing a suit of armor. For me I enjoy the freedom of wearing a light bucket and visor compared to a heavy helmet and metal cage. Those remind me of football helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad