Cage wearers PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Why do you insist that I'm crying? All I am saying is that the person who gets high sticked is not at fault, something that the Kage Wearers Krew brosquad seems intent on disputing.

It's not your fault you got hit with a high stick, it is your fault that it did extra damage. Safety gear exists for a reason. When you choose not to wear it you waive all rights to complain.

Would you feel sympathy for a goalie who got hit in the throat after he refuses to wear some kind of neck protection?

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Why do you insist that I'm crying? All I am saying is that the person who gets high sticked is not at fault, something that the Kage Wearers Krew brosquad seems intent on disputing.

Everyone understands your point, they are suggesting you use a cage for your safety. Or don't and blame others through missing teeth. You can keep blaming the other guy for his mistake while you sit in the emergency room or the dentist chair.

No matter how many times you blame the other player it is still you needing medical help.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
It's not your fault you got hit with a high stick, it is your fault that it did extra damage. Safety gear exists for a reason. When you choose not to wear it you waive all rights to complain.

Would you feel sympathy for a goalie who got hit in the throat after he refuses to wear some kind of neck protection?

Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net? If I get hit with an errant puck or someone's stick gets knocked up into my face, that's life. If some idiot is waving his stick around because he doesn't know what he's doing, that's different.

Everyone understands your point, they are suggesting you use a cage for your safety. Or don't and blame others through missing teeth. You can keep blaming the other guy for his mistake while you sit in the emergency room or the dentist chair.

No matter how many times you blame the other player it is still you needing medical help.

Obviously I understand that. It does not absolve the other player of fault for not being able to control his stick.

TJD

Jun 11, 2010
Chicago
Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net?

Everyone gets your point.

Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect.

So keep wearing the visor and take the risks that come with it, or don't.

When you lose teeth or get hit in the mouth, don't look for sympathy as **** happens.

TJD

Jun 11, 2010
Chicago
Is it against the rules to shoot a puck at the net? If I get hit with an errant puck or someone's stick gets knocked up into my face, that's life. If some idiot is waving his stick around because he doesn't know what he's doing, that's different.

Obviously I understand that. It does not absolve the other player of fault for not being able to control his stick.

Move up a level.
Say something to the refs/other teams captain.
Put on a cage.
Play chess.

All of thee above are viable options.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Exactly nothing. Keep your stick down, don't expect everyone to wear a cage.

You don't get it. Good luck on controlling what the hundreds of people you play with and against do with their sticks 100% of the time.

I wouldn't need a seat belt, air bags, or abs brakes either if nobody made mistakes.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
"If you do not wear a cage you are bad and dumb and responsible for the collapse of society, you reckless shmuck. Shame on you."

I wouldn't go that far. More like
"If you choose to play without facial protection, don't whine about getting hit in the face"

You took the risk. Deal with the consequences.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
It is also possible to die in a car when there is no accident with another person or car. What if your steering goes out? You wear a seat belt to eliminate the risk no matter what happens

What happens while playing hockey that you stumble into the boards face first and lose teeth, break you nose/jaw etc. You wear a cage to eliminate the risk no matter what happens.

BTW, when I did play, I only wore a visor - my choice and sometimes I didn't wear any face shield

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
This is an absurd position to take.

It is logically no different than me saying that you non-cage wearers are impairing my free choice to put my stick wherever I want to.

You have a choice to wear a cage or not. You also know before setting foot on the ice that sticks come up for all sorts of reasons - sometimes its an irresponsible player, sometimes its a legitimate hockey accident. If you get hit in the face, that is the consequence of that choice.

You don't get the benefit of wearing a visor AND the ability to complain when you get hurt.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I wear one for two reasons.

The first i try to play like Anton Volchenkov and block anything that comes near the net.

Second. I was in the corner when the guy in front of me fell forward. His leg flew up like Sean Michaels. For some reason i reacted by moving my chin down which in turn blocked a possible neck slice because of my cage.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I hate you.. Learn to keep your sticks down and play responsibly... This has been a Public Service Announcement.

The worst part is that if you do wear a cage and someone gets his stick up and you take offense, more times than not the perpetrator just shrugs it off because you can't get hurt wearing a cage so its not important for players to keep their sticks down.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
When I skated out I started at 16 and my parents made me wear a cage (it was optional in one of my leagues and mandatory in the other). Once I turned 18, I switched to only a visor for a bit. Had a few close calls, one of which was taking a stick to the visor, and that convinced me to switch back to a cage. A game shortly thereafter, I dove to block a shot and it struck me clean in the mask. Had I been wearing a visor or nothing at all, I'd have probably lost at least half a dozen teeth.

I play goalie now so it's kind of irrelevant, but if I ever skated out again I'd wear a full cage again. After my experiences trying to go without one for a bit, people being reckless with high sticks is bothersome, yes, but would be pretty low on the list of my concerns.

AndreD

Oct 24, 2010
London, UK
Cages are optional for us, I wear one, probably a little over half our team use them, less in training session. A few weeks ago during training a guy go hit in the eye by the stick on the follow-through whilst chasing down a breakaway (he was reaching forwards so his head was pretty low). An incident like that is nobody's fault, it happens in the game we play.

Luckily the damage was only superficial a fair bit of blood but nothing else but if he'd been wearing the cage he would have been uninjured. Nobody complained about it, tried to blame anyone, there is no point. It was his choice to play without it and that's just what happens - half the team still choose not to wear cages.

Edit: Also see Taylor Hall for how to be injured without it being anyone's fault. Again I have no problem with people choosing not to wear a cage - but then you've got to be prepared to accept the consequences however they occur

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
If anyone chirps me about my cage, I chirp at them about their "teeth". ;)

I play occasionally for fun, as most of my town league-thing does, but some guys are just dicks. Most of us wear cages, so you don't get it often, but it's pretty funny. I'm hit up high almost every game. It's not worth the money of dental repair or being blind.

I usually tell the guy to take his mouth guard out because I can't understand what he's saying through all the slobber. :laugh:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I have never seen a guy over 20 years old wear a full cage where I play. It's only teenagers and those guys are usually the most reckless with their sticks.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
This is an absurd position to take.

It is logically no different than me saying that you non-cage wearers are impairing my free choice to put my stick wherever I want to.

You have a choice to wear a cage or not. You also know before setting foot on the ice that sticks come up for all sorts of reasons - sometimes its an irresponsible player, sometimes its a legitimate hockey accident. If you get hit in the face, that is the consequence of that choice.

You don't get the benefit of wearing a visor AND the ability to complain when you get hurt.

No, because wearing a cage is not mandated by the rules, and putting your stick wherever you want is against the rules. So it is logically very different.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't go that far. More like
"If you choose to play without facial protection, don't whine about getting hit in the face"

You took the risk. Deal with the consequences.

So if you're going through an intersection and someone runs the light going a buck twenty and t-bones you into oblivion, but you weren't wearing your seatbelt, you just suck it up? Or say you're riding your bike and a car swerves into you and sends you to the hospital, do you just deal with it because you weren't wearing a helmet? Sounds logical.

650X2

Oct 20, 2011
I find it funny you were dumb enough to not wear a cage once and get your teeth knocked out and now you are complaining when you got hit again.

If you are bad enough to be in a league were cages are worn there is no reason you shouldn't be wearing a cage. Seriously it takes all of 30 seconds to get used to the cage and you never notice it again.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
So if you're going through an intersection and someone runs the light going a buck twenty and t-bones you into oblivion, but you weren't wearing your seatbelt, you just suck it up? Or say you're riding your bike and a car swerves into you and sends you to the hospital, do you just deal with it because you weren't wearing a helmet? Sounds logical.

Was there a thread warning drivers who wear seatbelts that they need to stop running lights at 120mph because some people choose not to wear seatbelts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad