Cage wearers PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
As a responsible visor wearer myself, I approve of this message.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Thats funny the only times I have seen face cuts and broken noses was from guys without cage, or visors with one exception.

I play net so I get a ring side seat to this crap. If it is that big of an issue put a cage back on eh.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
A little more info. Highsticked by a high school kid at pick up. Ive got a / line across both my lips. Fat, swollen, and I think it fractured my septum. Luckily I already had my teeth knocked out so I didnt lose any this time.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
That's the breaks of going without a cage. I too wear only a half shield, but I recognize that I'm taking the risk and don't whine about it when I get clipped once in a while. **** happens on the ice and even the best of players get their sticks up once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your injury though.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
That's the breaks of going without a cage. I too wear only a half shield, but I recognize that I'm taking the risk and don't whine about it when I get clipped once in a while. **** happens on the ice and even the best of players get their sticks up once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your injury though.

This was during the warm up from my own team! Obviously I know the risks... Cage wearers need to know them as well.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
:laugh: I have all my teeth, no scaring on my face, and a ****-eating grin.

Wear a cage = no problems

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
:laugh: I have all my teeth, no scaring on my face, and a ****-eating grin.

Wear a cage = no problems

/Discussion

I wore a half shield for about 6 months, took one stick real close to the eye and realized my vision isn't worth it. Were not getting paid to play so I smartly put the cage back on.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
It's your choice and if you're good with the wind blowing magestically in your face then ok, but I wear a cage and I take sticks in the face all the time. It's a part of the game, not something that only reckless cage wearers do. I know I'd be a lot scruffier looking without my cage!

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
In a pickup game I play goal in, a shield wearing player yelled at a guy to keep his stick down (his stick was actually hit by another player, but yeller dude didn't know that bit).

The guy who runs the pickup game happened to be on the ice at the time, and yelled at the yeller "Get a cage!" And that was the end of that.

Seems pretty no-brainer to me - if you care even a little bit about your face, wear a cage.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Oh, it's this discussion again.

In a pickup game I play goal in, a shield wearing player yelled at a guy to keep his stick down (his stick was actually hit by another player, but yeller dude didn't know that bit).

The guy who runs the pickup game happened to be on the ice at the time, and yelled at the yeller "Get a cage!" And that was the end of that.

Seems pretty no-brainer to me - if you care even a little bit about your face, wear a cage.

I'm pretty sure highsticking is against the rules, and wearing a visor isn't. If you can't keep your stick down, you shouldn't be on the ice.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
Stuff happens, though. People shouldn't crash their cars into other people's cars, but it doesn't mean I don't drive defensively or wear a seatbelt.

but yet somehow its our fault for getting hit in the face with their sticks.
No, it's the fault of the person who's stick got up. But you're the one with the scar. I guess if it's worth it feel all superior with a cut up face and missing teeth, then have at 'er. Your choice.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011

So when I board you from behind and break your neck and you complain about not being able to feel your legs, someone should just yell 'Get a Leatt neck brace!" ?

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
What? I've been high sticked by plenty of guys with visors too.

Being reckless with your stick is not unique to players with cages.

Sticks come up to face level for all sorts of reasons - not only because of negligence or carelessness.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I support this thread and would direct it at everyone in general. When I was just starting out, I accidentally hit a few people with some pretty nasty high sticks. Luckily they were wearing cages themselves.

I quickly learned that it's a terrible feeling to high stick someone. Even the first time I did it, my immediate reaction was to turn around and say, "Woah man, sorry, you alright?"

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Stuff happens, though. People shouldn't crash their cars into other people's cars, but it doesn't mean I don't drive defensively or wear a seatbelt.

No, it's the fault of the person who's stick got up. But you're the one with the scar. I guess if it's worth it feel all superior with a cut up face and missing teeth, then have at 'er. Your choice.

No ****, but you don't blame the person who got high sticked. That's dumb. And if everyone keeps their sticks down, nobody gets a scar.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
No ****, but you don't blame the person who got high sticked. That's dumb. And if everyone keeps their sticks down, nobody gets a scar.

But sticks will come up no matter how hard guys try. Pucks get deflected, collisions happen, etc.

The solution is a cage. You can't control what other people do so protect yourself.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
But sticks will come up no matter how hard guys try. Pucks get deflected, collisions happen, etc.

The solution is a cage. You can't control what other people do so protect yourself.

Again, no ****, I know things will happen. It still doesn't mean that it's ok to swing your stick wherever. It's on YOU to keep your stick down, not on me to armor my face so that you can sling your stick wherever you want.

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
Again, no ****, I know things will happen. It still doesn't mean that it's ok to swing your stick wherever. It's on YOU to keep your stick down, not on me to armor my face so that you can sling your stick wherever you want.
Cage wearers always try to convince non cage wearers to put one on. They need to focus more time on keeping their stick down than trying to be everyone's dad.

The only times ive ever been high sticked have been a cage-wearer everytime.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I got smacked in the face by a guy wearing no visor/cage. Thankfully I wear a cage.

Maybe this thread should just read "Anyone who plays hockey, control your stick and keep it low."

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
Took a stick to the mouth last year while wearing a half shield. Someone was trying to lift my stick, missed and knocked out one tooth and chipped 3 (which had to be replaced as well).

Also had 6 stitches across the lips.

A few weeks later, returned to the ice with a full cage, and during my first game, took a puck off the cage - where my mouth would have been. Well worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad