C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I get more and more impressed with him. For any concerned with his size, he's proven capable of winning battles with bigger players, I think Marat will stick at center. Love the 200 ft game.
He's a center for sure. Anyone proposing he moves to wing is crazy.

Reactions: Dr Salt

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
He's a center for sure. Anyone proposing he moves to wing is crazy.
100%. Its crazy people look into size too much to see who sticks at center in the NHL. This same principle applies to some other prospects this year people are saying would stick better on the wing like Rossi. Both have what it takes to make it as a C.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
There are literally NHL scouts that have him ranked in the 1st. There's no chance he slips to the 3rd round.

There were probably NHL scouts with the likes of Nikolayev and Spiridonov ranked in the 1st last year too.

It's hard to predict what 31 different brain trusts will do, but I have a hard time seeing an undersized Russian center getting looked at least until the latter part of the 2nd.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
There are literally NHL scouts that have him ranked in the 1st. There's no chance he slips to the 3rd round.
Given the disparity in rankings, there could be a dozen teams having him ranked in their top 30, and he still drops deep into the 2nd. Most teams are able to pick up players with a first round grade in the early 2nd round given how team ranking vary so much.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I will defer to those who have watched him a good amount. Still I think the lack of production has to be worrying. He was 13th on the Russian U18 team in points. If he is doing so many things well enough to be a first rounder wouldn't he be getting secondary assists at a minimum?
When I read all the praise I am reminded of the scene from Moneyball where the scouts call a guy a "five-tool player" who has the ball "explode" off his bat. The GM asks why he is hitting .230 (paraphrasing, as I haven't watched it recently).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
100%. Its crazy people look into size too much to see who sticks at center in the NHL. This same principle applies to some other prospects this year people are saying would stick better on the wing like Rossi. Both have what it takes to make it as a C.

I think we’d all like to make this purely about individual evaluations, and most of it should be that, but I don’t know how you can ignore overwhelming statistics.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think we’d all like to make this purely about individual evaluations, and most of it should be that, but I don’t know how you can ignore overwhelming statistics.
Among the top 30 centers in points, one is 5'10", one is 5'11" and most are listed at 6'0" which could be a rounded number.

Khusnutdinov is listed at 5'11".

So he's just about on par with the league's best in terms of size.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Among the top 30 centers in points, one is 5'10", one is 5'11" and most are listed at 6'0" which could be a rounded number.

There is no reliable source that lists him that way though, his official height measurement is 176cm (which is 5'9" I guess) and a look at him tells me that there's no way he is 5'11".

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That’s if you think he’s 5’11. Most sources have him at 5’9, and I think he looks much closer to that than 5’11.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is no reliable source that lists him that way though, his official height measurement is 176cm (which is 5'9" I guess) and a look at him tells me that there's no way he is 5'11".
NHL central scouting lists him at 5'11". They might not have great scouts, but as a service for NHL teams they generally try get accurate measurements of height and weight.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
There were probably NHL scouts with the likes of Nikolayev and Spiridonov ranked in the 1st last year too.

It's hard to predict what 31 different brain trusts will do, but I have a hard time seeing an undersized Russian center getting looked at least until the latter part of the 2nd.
Could be BS but the sharks said they had Spiridonov at the end of the first and start of the second and were shocked when they traded a 2020 4th pick to grab him

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Could be BS but the sharks said they had Spiridonov at the end of the first and start of the second and were shocked when they traded a 2020 4th pick to grab him
Spiridonov was 36 on my last so doesn't seem like bullshit to me.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Spiridonov was 36 on my last so doesn't seem like bullshit to me.

I had Spiridonov in the 1st. I love his game and was so happy when the Sharks took him, but I will say, if the Sharks had him as a 1st round pick, that means they think they got 3 1st rounders as he was their 3rd selection.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I had Spiridonov in the 1st. I love his game and was so happy when the Sharks took him, but I will say, if the Sharks had him as a 1st round pick, that means they think they got 3 1st rounders as he was their 3rd selection.
Yeah well really only one of them has impressed so far. Hamaliuk has been pretty disappointing. Kniazev had a good year though

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
NHL central scouting lists him at 5'11". They might not have great scouts, but as a service for NHL teams they generally try get accurate measurements of height and weight.

They didn’t measure and weigh him though.

Exactly, CSS measurements are only reliable when it comes to NA-based prospects, as they can actually measure those.

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft-first-round-scenarios-5/

29) Washington Capitals — Marat Khusnutdinov (LC, Russia, SKA-1946 St. Petersburg MHL)

Washington-Capitals-square-logo-480x480.jpg

ANALYSIS: Washington has enjoyed a lot of success with Russians drafted in the first round since the turn of the century — Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Kuznetsov as current Capitals, Alex Semin and Semyon Varlamov as former Capitals, plus Ilya Samsonov and Alexander Alexeyev as top prospects, not to mention Dmitry Orlov as a second-rounder. Khusnutdinov could join that impressive list, rising towards the first round as a two-way centre who flashed more offensive upside as the draft year progressed. His ceiling isn’t as high as Kuznetsov — the 26th overall pick from 2010 — but Khusnutdinov’s creativity shone through as he became more confident, which wouldn’t have gone unnoticed by the Capitals.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Amirov would "likely be in the running for the top 3 in the 2020 draft"? Seriously?

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Amirov would "likely be in the running for the top 3 in the 2020 draft"? Seriously?
Although that seems extremely generous based on the ultimate upside of Laff, Byfield and Stutzle - I do think Amirov is a top ten talent in the draft and love how complete his game is. If someone values a potential 60-70 point player who plays all 200 ft over an 80-90 point player who might have some warts defensively, I could see how they believe that's enough to include them in the conversation.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Top 10 is a long way from top 3. Guys like Drysdale, at least one of the Swedes, and at least one of Rossi/Perfetti has to be ahead of him, besides the three that you mentioned. And then there is Sanderson, Quinn, Lundell...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad