C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought I was a fan of this guy, but if not thinking this guy is worth a first round pick means I'm not a fan of this guy anymore, count me out. No way I'd spend a first round pick on a sub 5'10 center who has struggled at multiple levels to put up points for a first round level forward.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I thought I was a fan of this guy, but if not thinking this guy is worth a first round pick means I'm not a fan of this guy anymore, count me out. No way I'd spend a first round pick on a sub 5'10 center who has struggled at multiple levels to put up points for a first round level forward.
You're ignorant to his ability.

First of all, Central Scouting has Marat listed at 5'11".

Second of all, he plays 3rd line minutes in the MHL and gets hardly any PP time. He's not struggling to put up points whatsoever.

If you're not willing to spend a 1st round pick on Marat, you might as well quit scouting.

Reactions: gusev nikita

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My understanding is he was deployed in more of a defensive 3rd line role on an older very good MHL (top 2) team most of the year. Deployment , pp time, line mates means something.
He did have 29 pts in his last 26 games and went over 60% on draws for the year. He is constantly moving , plays with pace, is aggressive.
Very good 3 zone transition player.
I would not shy away from a late first on him at all. He will be ranked in the top 20 on some lists.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Second of all, he plays 3rd line minutes in the MHL and gets hardly any PP time. He's not struggling to put up points whatsoever.

If you're not willing to spend a 1st round pick on Marat, you might as well quit scouting.

Why don’t you check who made the thread?

Don’t start being rude because I have a different opinion on one of your favorite players in the draft than you do.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My understanding is he was deployed in more of a defensive 3rd line role on an older very good MHL (top 2) team most of the year. Deployment , pp time, line mates means something.
He did have 29 pts in his last 26 games and went over 60% on draws for the year. He is constantly moving , plays with pace, is aggressive.
I would not shy away from a late first on him at all. He will be ranked in the top 20 on some lists.

What about with Russia? He’s never been a top scorer with his country either. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player with a lot of talent. I think it’s a riskier pick in the first round. There are currently no sub 5’10 top half of the league center in the NHL, and if you are picking someone to break that trend, it’s probably not going to be a guy who has struggled to score everywhere he’s played.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018

7 of those pts came in 2 win versus the aweful chinese team where his team scored 25 goals. While I agree his production is goodish playing on a power house were ice team is at a premium, his U18 nationnal team production is scary. Of course he was playing with worse winger than Ponomaryov and Zlodeyev, but why would the coachs always put him with lesser offensive player? He is really fun to watch, but there's certainely concern about his future production in a pro league.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
What about with Russia? He’s never been a top scorer with his country either. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player with a lot of talent. I think it’s a riskier pick in the first round. There are currently no sub 5’10 top half of the league center in the NHL, and if you are picking someone to break that trend, it’s probably not going to be a guy who has struggled to score everywhere he’s played.

He kinda remind me of Ryan Spooner. Grittier and maybe a bit better hands, but also maybe a bit lesser shot and vision. Spooner couldn't cut it long term in the NHL, he couldn't play center and his game couldn't translate to wing. On paper a pretty good player, but in reallity he did bring more negative than positive. Now, is Kush grittier enough to play center effectively in the NHL? Maybe and if he did, the eye test says he could become a good middle 6 player but ... like you said, I'm not sure history can show us one Russian who produce like he did at internationnal events who could cut it as a middle 6 in the NHL ... I really doubt it.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
I've seen all of his tournament games and a couple MHL games and really don't see the first round hype with this guy. Excellent skater has a good skill level but his overall play is very meh. Nothing bad and does have flashes but doesn't affect the game that much. Maybe late 2nd early 3rd for me.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Why don’t you check who made the thread?

Don’t start being rude because I have a different opinion on one of your favorite players in the draft than you do.
Who cares if you made the thread?

You're still underestimating the player by virtue of stat watching and ignoring his updated measurements.

You can have your opinions, but they're based off skewed information.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He kinda remind me of Ryan Spooner. Grittier and maybe a bit better hands, but also maybe a bit lesser shot and vision. Spooner couldn't cut it long term in the NHL, he couldn't play center and his game couldn't translate to wing. On paper a pretty good player, but in reallity he did bring more negative than positive. Now, is Kush grittier enough to play center effectively in the NHL? Maybe and if he did, the eye test says he could become a good middle 6 player but ... like you said, I'm not sure history can show us one Russian who produce like he did at internationnal events who could cut it as a middle 6 in the NHL ... I really doubt it.
Spooner is one of the softest and worst defensive players I've ever seen. Khusnutdinov is nothing like that.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

I agree with your take on Khusnutdinov, but no need to make a statement like that.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

You're still underestimating the player by virtue of stat watching and ignoring his updated measurements.

I've seen him a number of times, and he's not in my top 31 of scouted players (this list is incomplete as there's a few players I think that could get into the top 31 that I have either not looked at yet, or don't have enough viewings.

I don't think he has the offensive skills needed to be a top 6 player in the NHL, he does well in a few things, but his package is lacking. I could see his ceiling being top 6, but I don't see that as very likely from him; he's a prototypical tweener. He's got great wheels though, and it's one of the things I really value. That being said, I wouldn't select him in the 1st round if I had a 1st to use.

Last edited:

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Spooner is one of the softest and worst defensive players I've ever seen. Khusnutdinov is nothing like that.

Yep as I said, Khusnutdinov is grittier, is he grittier enough to be able to play center in tne NHL? That remain to be seen. And if not, as a little guy that like to skate everywhere, will his game transfer to the wing or like Spooner, it won't?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You said I'm ignorant to his ability. I knew about his ability before you had probably even heard of him.

I'm not stat-watching. Do you want me to say it another way?

He doesn't score at a high level in the games I watch. I didn't think someone needs to add the last clause of that, but if you are going to claim anyone who has a different opinion of you hasn't seen him play, I'll be extra clear so you can't distort my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

He specified Spooner with the grittiness, so that includes not being as soft and being better defensively.

I see what he's saying, and like you, I've seen Spooner a lot play for my team. Khusnutdinov looks more dynamic offensively than he produces. He skates well, he stick-handles pretty well, he's constantly in movement around the ice and he does have some scoring ability, but for a forward that the most reputable sources peg as below 5'10, he doesn't score enough to justify being a high-end guy.

Thats similar to Spooner. Spooner looks very dynamic, and does do some scoring, but you get the feeling watching him that he should produce better than he does. Khusnutdinov might end up the better player than Spooner because he plays more of a 200 foot game, but his game comes with risk.

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
He specified Spooner with the grittiness, so that includes not being as soft and being better defensively.

I see what he's saying, and like you, I've seen Spooner a lot play for my team. Khusnutdinov looks more dynamic offensively than he produces. He skates well, he stick-handles pretty well, he's constantly in movement around the ice and he does have some scoring ability, but for a forward that the most reputable sources peg as below 5'10, he doesn't score enough to justify being a high-end guy.

Thats similar to Spooner. Spooner looks very dynamic, and does do some scoring, but you get the feeling watching him that he should produce better than he does. Khusnutdinov might end up the better player than Spooner because he plays more of a 200 foot game, but his game comes with risk.

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
No, I was just looking for interesting moments about Marat.
I heard that his coach was a coach who coached Nikita Kucherov, Nikita Gusev and Igor Ozhiganov as a child.
His name is Gennady Kurdin

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've seen all of his tournament games and a couple MHL games and really don't see the first round hype with this guy. Excellent skater has a good skill level but his overall play is very meh. Nothing bad and does have flashes but doesn't affect the game that much. Maybe late 2nd early 3rd for me.

Yeah, I agree. It could happen, but I would be surprised if he went before the 3rd round.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I get more and more impressed with him. For any concerned with his size, he's proven capable of winning battles with bigger players, I think Marat will stick at center. Love the 200 ft game.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad