C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi (2018 - 3rd overall, MTL) Part Four!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I disagree. RyJo has flaws, and his work ethic was questionable, but his talent was always great. The guy has averaged 63 points a year from 2013-2014 up to 2018-2019. He played a massive role leading the Preds to the finals and had he not been injured, they might have won the cup. He was most definitely a key role for the Preds with his playoffs performance. The Preds had nothing after him in the center depth.

But the poster said his peak will be a lot higher, which is essentially 85-90 points. So yes, it's a crazy thought.

So if RyJo wasn't an ideal 1C and you aren't sure if KK will be one either, why do you think KK will be better? They both share similar traits in that they are close to the same height, drafted highly, great playmakers, have good shots, really struggled with athleticism(most notably skating)...etc

I see him being a lot closer to RyJo rather than Aho/Barkov/Draisaitl/Kopitar/Getzlaf/Scheifele. He's not going to be a RyJo clone, but I see him being a similar type of player which is what I initially said.

(MOD)
I think you and I agree on Kotkaneimi, just disagree on how good RyJo was. I think he was what Monahan is now (different styles but same effect on the game).

But yeah, you'd be crazy to think Kotkaneimi will become the next Barkov or Crosby or Kopitar. Similarities sure but not nearly same tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Great Weise

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
(MOD)
I think you and I agree on Kotkaneimi, just disagree on how good RyJo was. I think he was what Monahan is now (different styles but same effect on the game).

But yeah, you'd be crazy to think Kotkaneimi will become the next Barkov or Crosby or Kopitar. Similarities sure but not nearly same tier.
That's fair. IIRC, Dallas really liked Kotka too and compared him to Monahan. Either way, a 2 way 65+ point center would be great if that's what he became.

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Kotkaniemi potential is not an elite centre. Take off the homer glasses. He’s going to be a serviceable and even good 2C with 1C upside.

Think ryjo/Monahan/Duchene impact as his high end. He has never shown that he could become a top 20 C in the league. Don’t @ me.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Ottawa’s second rounder Roby Jarventie scored at a higher PPG clip in the Liiga at 18 than Kotkaniemi did and he’s supposedly ready to be a 1/2C in the NHL!!?

Don't watch much outside of numbers eh?

Kotkaneimi is the Habs 3c this year. Jarventie has been good but hasn't even been the best player on his own team in the games I've watched (Valimaki has looked fantastic), he's been producing points but hasn't really convinced me in a few ways (defensively).

It's crazy to think that players who were part of their training camps are doing well eh? Lundell would be a better 'gotcha' player to try to mock Habs fans with, he's been so much better than Jarventie.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ottawa’s second rounder Roby Jarventie scored at a higher PPG clip in the Liiga at 18 than Kotkaniemi did and he’s supposedly ready to be a 1/2C in the NHL!!?

I hope this isn't the amount of context you always use to draw these massive conclusions. Disregarding that some other promising kid scoring points at a greater rate in Liiga than KK did in his whopping 10 game sample is an all around worthless argument, who (outside of maybe two delusional Habs fans) is expecting him to take reigns right away as the Habs' 1C when they have Suzuki and Danault in the roster as well?

Reactions: Gravity

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
FYI Hirvonen has one of the worst corsi's on the team 47.5% where KK was one of the best on the team with 56.6% and a PDO of 91.9% (getting unlucky)mostly due to a SV% of 85.7% while he was on the ice. Nick Merkley on the same team has a Corsi % of 54.4 FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad