C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi (2018 - 3rd overall, MTL) Part Four!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
KK has the higher upside of the two. KK has much more room to grow and the difference between the two isn't much right now already.
You’re kidding right? Suzuki is a league ahead of KK as a 2 way centre who in general sees the ice much better. KK is unlikely to be a bonafide 1C - id bet anything on that. As others posters have mentioned, a great 2C is a good haul from a draft where many saw KK as a reach at that spot. There was a drop off after Dahlin, Svech and Tkachuk. MTL decided to roll the dice. Let’s see if it pays off and they get their 2C to go with Suzuki.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You’re kidding right? Suzuki is a league ahead of KK as a 2 way centre who in general sees the ice much better. KK is unlikely to be a bonafide 1C - id bet anything on that. As others posters have mentioned, a great 2C is a good haul from a draft where many saw KK as a reach at that spot. There was a drop off after Dahlin, Svech and Tkachuk. MTL decided to roll the dice. Let’s see if it pays off and they get their 2C to go with Suzuki.

He is right now, but Kotkaniemi is also younger. Suzuki was 20 last season, and Kotkaniemi turned 20 recently. Its very much a possibility that Kotkaniemi could have as good of a 20 year old season as Suzuki had.

His biggest issues last year were strength, skating, and confidence. All three improved by a lot since the last time he played an nhl regular season game. I can see KK scoring 45-50 pts this upcoming season.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

The upside, if KK hits it, is higher than Suzuki. He can have a larger impact on the game if he fulfills his potential.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yes KK's peak upside is very high if he hits it. He can be a big 2 way C who plays a mean game, he can also snipe and has good vision. He's the type of C we've been looking for since Bobby Smith.

Reactions: Ippenator

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
honestly looks like a good player. couple posts ago someone posted his 2 assists and his poise looks really good.

obviously a good player, habs fans should be excited but im honestly curious what habs fans that watch him much more than me think his comparable is. whenever i see him i see a wide range of outcomes sometimes he looks like he'll be a good second line centre, other times he looks like he'll be an above average #1c. really curious to hear about his game, really interesting prospect.
Ryan Johansen type player is his comparable imo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
His peak is higher than Johansen

By a lot
Ya Habs fans overrate the shit out of their prospects. RyJo is a 65+ point center. RyJos peak was 71 points. The guy is 14th in points for centers from 2013-2014 to 2018-2019. You think it's a lot higher? Maybe you should come back to reality because it's highly unlikely that KK becomes a 90 point center. A 65 point center is a damn good player. That's high end 2C and low end 1C territory.
He's got way more jam in his game than Ryan Johansen.
Ryan Johansen is a beast in the playoffs, he plays well when it counts.

I don't see KK being the Kopitar/Schefiele/Barkov/Draisaitl several Habs fans believe he can be.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Ya Habs fans overrate the shit out of their prospects. RyJo is a 65+ point center. RyJos peak was 71 points. You think it's a lot higher? Maybe you should come back to reality because it's highly unlikely that KK becomes a 90 point center.

I don't see KK being the Kopitar/Schefiele/Barkov/Draisaitl several Habs fans believe he can be.
I've watched enough of Koko and seen the potential that he oozes to know that 85 points is very reacchable

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I've watched enough of Koko and seen the potential that he oozes to know that 85 points is very reacchable
No offense, but I think it's laughable to think that. You overrate Habs prospects. You also told me that Caufield easily stays ahead of Newhook in a redraft which is just simply not true. Might be your username, but no, it's very very very unlikely that KK hits 85 points a year consistently. 9 centers in the league scored 85 points or more last year.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
No offense, but I think it's laughable to think that. You overrate Habs prospects. You also told me that Caufield easily stays ahead of Newhook in a redraft which is just simply not true. Might be your username, but no, it's very very very unlikely that KK hits 85 points a year consistently. 9 centers in the league scored 85 points or more last year.
I would still draft Caufield ahead of Newhook but thats not what this thread is about

Koko had a monster playoffs and just because he started slowly in Liiga people are down on him. He lit up the league after than even though the coaches didnt know how to use him at Assat

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I would still draft Caufield ahead of Newhook but thats not what this thread is about

Koko had a monster playoffs and just because he started slowly in Liiga people are down on him. He lit up the league after than even though the coaches didnt know how to use him at Assat
I said you overrate Habs players big time, like saying Caufield is way ahead of Newhook and that KK's peak is way higher than RyJo. KK has shown nothing that makes you say that he can be a top 10 center in the NHL.

KK had 4 goals in 10 games which is great, but nothing monstrous about that. You downplay RyJo, but he has 48 points in 57 playoff games which is what we are hoping KK can do. He lit up the Liiga? For what like 3-4 games?

You clearly haven't watched enough of KK since you are only using like 15 games to make your case.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

Did you watch Kotkaniemi in the playoffs?

I've watched Johansen more than enough times to know what type of player he is.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Did you watch Kotkaniemi in the playoffs?

I've watched Johansen more than enough times to know what type of player he is.
I've watched every single NHL game of KK career, so yes I have. Have you seen RyJo in the playoffs? I've been a big RyJo fan for a while, and all his playoff appearances trump KK's with ease. KK was more physical for those 9 games, but don't pretend like KK was always this physical guy because it's the only time we have seen him play this physically.

There is no perfect player comparison, but RyJo is a lot more appropriate of a comparison than any of the franchise centers Habs fans compare KK to.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Thank you. This guy hates Koko for some reason after all hes done is shown that he will be a stud for us
Lol so saying KK won't be a top 10 C is hating on him? Ryan Johansen is 14th in points for centers since 2013-2014 to 2018-2019, he's not some random scrub.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No one can be better than Johansen?

Ive never seen a centre with vision like Koko at this age hes 20
:help:

You said his peak is a lot higher than RyJo.

I don't know if there's a language barrier, but you are always heavily exaggerating. You have never seen a center with vision like that at 20? He's got elite IQ, but I can count 10 right off the top of my head who demonstrated even better vision at that age or younger.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
:help:

You said his peak is a lot higher than RyJo.

I don't know if there's a language barrier, but you are always heavily exaggerating. You have never seen a center with vision like that at 20? He's got elite IQ, but I can count 10 right off the top of my head who demonstrated even better vision at that age or younger.
I speak fine english and I dont overhype our players.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
No one can be better than Johansen?

Ive never seen a centre with vision like Koko at this age hes 20

Never?????
Come on, I mean McDavid was doing big things at 19/20
Marner at 19 playing center was doing big things in the OHL
Pettersson was dominating a mens league at age 19/20 and won everything you can win in season.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Never?????
Come on, I mean McDavid was doing big things at 19/20
Marner at 19 playing center was doing big things in the OHL
Pettersson was dominating a mens league at age 19/20 and won everything you can win in season.
Those players all did good things but none had the VISION of Koko

The way he finds players in space is like no other

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Lol so saying KK won't be a top 10 C is hating on him? Ryan Johansen is 14th in points for centers since 2013-2014 to 2018-2019, he's not some random scrub.

RyJo had good production but was never the player his point totals said he was.

He was never a true 1C in the league but instead was a good 2C who was buoyed by playing with first line talent and with first line minutes. He's always been a fine player but was never what you are making him out to be. He was a fine 55-65pt per season player that filled the role but he he was never an ideal solution for Nashville/ Columbus.

Calling Kotkaneimi someone who has more potential than RyJo isn't some crazy thought, it's reasonable for sure. Calling Kotkaneimi a sure bet 85pt player is a stretch for sure.

I think Kotkaneimi will be better than RyJo was, I'm not sure Kotkaneimi will be an ideal 1C.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
RyJo had good production but was never the player his point totals said he was.

He was never a true 1C in the league but instead was a good 2C who was buoyed by playing with first line talent and with first line minutes. He's always been a fine player but was never what you are making him out to be. He was a fine 55-65pt per season player that filled the role but he he was never an ideal solution for Nashville/ Columbus.

Calling Kotkaneimi someone who has more potential than RyJo isn't some crazy thought, it's reasonable for sure. Calling Kotkaneimi a sure bet 85pt player is a stretch for sure.

I think Kotkaneimi will be better than RyJo was, I'm not sure Kotkaneimi will be an ideal 1C.
I disagree. RyJo has flaws, and his work ethic was questionable, but his talent was always great. The guy has averaged 63 points a year from 2013-2014 up to 2018-2019. He played a massive role leading the Preds to the finals and had he not been injured, they might have won the cup. He was most definitely a key role for the Preds with his playoffs performance. The Preds had nothing after him in the center depth.

But the poster said his peak will be a lot higher, which is essentially 85-90 points. So yes, it's a crazy thought.

So if RyJo wasn't an ideal 1C and you aren't sure if KK will be one either, why do you think KK will be better? They both share similar traits in that they are close to the same height, drafted highly, great playmakers, have good shots, really struggled with athleticism(most notably skating)...etc

I see him being a lot closer to RyJo rather than Aho/Barkov/Draisaitl/Kopitar/Getzlaf/Scheifele. He's not going to be a RyJo clone, but I see him being a similar type of player which is what I initially said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad