C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
too much pros to go in the liiga, Less pressure, season already started, less game will finish early so if he joins the NHL next year he has a much longer off season to work on his frame and strenght and explosiveness. Top line C minutes, theres no reason for him to stay here right now, it's a transition year for the habs, burning a ELC year will be useless!

he's adapting better and better every single shift, so one more year in the liiga is not a concern in his developpement towards the NA ice.
This all makes sense. The reality though is that Kotkaniemi is playing too good to be cut. You can't cut a guy who's standing out significantly and also improving every game. He's arguably as good if not better than Danault right now in pre-season.

I suspect he'll get a 10 game stint in the NHL but I don't think he has the size/strength yet to compete during the regular season. This is very similar to Sergachev's camp with the Habs. Once regular season started, Sergachev wasn't nearly as effective and was sent down. I think the same will happen with Kotkaniemi and I'm fine with that, give him the opportunity to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i agree but i think what might be factoring into habs decision is the letting him learn the game quickly on NA ice
he's already adapted to the NA ice in like 1 camp and 3 preason season game. Playing top minutes in the liiga and having a longer off season to work on strenght conditioning will do him more than playing protected minutes in the NHL and the risk of injury is alot smaller in the liiga. 1 full season + offseason is WAY safer for the kids developpement. He's looking good now but the NHL plays alot more condensed game and you don't know how is current young physique will react to it...

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs should be icing close to an NHL lineup in their games vs. Montreal coming up. Should be a good test for Kotkaniemi, who's looked great so far.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I'd be happy if he returns to Finland (if he's not on the team) but why wouldn't he adapt to NA play in AHL. I'm sure you have gyms in Kanada too?
he's adapting already very good so it's not realy a concern anymore!

-Longer Offseason to work on Strenght conditioning and explosiveness
-Top Lines quality minutes, He'll likely stack more minutes playing 60games in the liiga than 82 in the NHL
-If he plays in the NHL, it will be protected minutes.
-You will Burn a ELC year in a useless transition season
-Less chances of injury. By next year he'll have a much more mature body.
-He's playing well now, but who knows how his small frame will do in condensed NHL schedule vs big man like this

Overall i just think it's way safer for him to play in the liiga, don't forget he's a very early 18 year old.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He seems ready but I doubt he is physically. Return him. It's the best option. If not, make sure he builds consistent chemistry with Drouin and a player like Domi/Gally and leave him on that line no matter how many mistakes he makes. He'll learn and become one hell of a player.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Had him 3rd overall in my 2018 rankings since July-August of 2017. Was convinced he was an elite talent watching him at the U-18's.

He'll be a number one centre for the Canadians. He has it all. Shot, passing/vision, hockey sense, size, responsible in all 3 zones, and fantastic stickwork stealing pucks or disrupting plays.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Had him 3rd overall in my 2018 rankings since July-August of 2017. Was convinced he was an elite talent watching him at the U-18's.

He'll be a number one centre for the Canadians. He has it all. Shot, passing/vision, hockey sense, size, responsible in all 3 zones, and fantastic stickwork stealing pucks or disrupting plays.

#1 C for the Habs means something else.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Props if true because i had no idea who he was in 2017 and wanted the habs to pick him since april! I just find it odd you say you had him 3 overall since 2017 then proceed to say that the u18 convinced you he was elite talent!

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Props if true because i had no idea who he was in 2017 and wanted the habs to pick him since april! I just find it odd you say you had him 3 overall since 2017 then proceed to say that the u18 convinced you he was elite talent!

2017 U-18s where Vesalainen and Heiskanen ripped it up. Kotkanimei played in a secondary role but caught my eye instantly.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
2017 U-18s where Vesalainen and Heiskanen ripped it up. Kotkanimei played in a secondary role but caught my eye instantly.

Samesies. I wasn't quite as high on him all year as you were, but he ended up at the 3 spot all the same. After the 2017 U18s I wrote a post lamenting that the habs probably wouldn't have the chance to draft him (lol). He was excellent at that tournament and fought his way to a good season in Liiga thereafter. Being ''rough around the edges'' affected perception of his talent to an unwarranted extent on these boards. There is a difference between having a polished skill-set and being truly talented. Kotkaniemi exemplifies this difference and those who don't understand it whiffed hard on him, IMO.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
He looks good but I would send him back to Finland and then I would have him start off in the AHL next year. There is no need to rush him, the Habs can wait and take their time developing Kotka.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, the eager Eagle Cub has landed in Quebec only to spread its wings for a little show-off on the ice and few feet above (this shouldn't come as a surprise since the kid comes from a theatre family lol) . That is all good, since the infamous soft spot for the Habs dwelling and hiding in my armored amour heart is about to make itself heard if not explode.

Anyways, I should sharpen my eyes and pen in this regards since I might take a hike to Montreal in the near future and if this amazing lady, Miss Montreal con occhi verde, artsy touch and sexy accent is the right one, I might stay - forever. So, I say: Go, Habs, go. And wonder, is it indeed so that Quebec should be FREE and INDEPENDENT, a sovereign state where the Montreal Canadiens should go under the name Montreal Quebecians? Politics aside, I know - but under the influence by a native mesmerizing Montreal woman you cannot but ask yourself: should I go or should I stay?!

Well, these were my Sunday morning thoughts and so I hail Montreal, Quebec and the Fabulous Habs. We must reach higher, stronger, further! Vive la Quebec, Canada... France, Britain... Cannot put this right, gosh. ;D

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
too much pros to go in the liiga, Less pressure, season already started, less game will finish early so if he joins the NHL next year he has a much longer off season to work on his frame and strenght and explosiveness. Top line C minutes, theres no reason for him to stay here right now, it's a transition year for the habs, burning a ELC year will be useless!

he's adapting better and better every single shift, so one more year in the liiga is not a concern in his developpement towards the NA ice.

He could even do up to 9 games at the end of the nhl season after hes done the year in finland

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nice to hear he is doing well. I always say it is more difficult for Finnish developed players making the jump to the NHL, it speaks to Kotkaniemi's hockey IQ he is doing it quicker than expected. I always appreciate players with high hockey IQ.

Reactions: kelsier

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Nice to hear he is doing well. I always say it is more difficult for Finnish developed players making the jump to the NHL, it speaks to Kotkaniemi's hockey IQ he is doing it quicker than expected. I always appreciate players with high hockey IQ.

My thoughts exactly. Didn't really have any expectations for him in regards to next season already and definitely didn't expect him to get even this close. Seems like there could be a possibility of the Eagle staying @ NHL, even if it's just a small one. Would be a pleasant surprise on top of all the young promising talents coming out of the country. Never even mind rather watching the Habs than Ässät. :D

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
The puck is always following him around, like it sticks to him. Sign of great positioning and IQ.

Great on the forecheck as well. Use his reach to pick pockets.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My thoughts exactly. Didn't really have any expectations for him in regards to next season already and definitely didn't expect him to get even this close. Seems like there could be a possibility of the Eagle staying @ NHL, even if it's just a small one. Would be a pleasant surprise on top of all the young promising talents coming out of the country. Never even mind rather watching the Habs than Ässät. :D

What's also impressive Kelsier is he turned 18 just a few months ago.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I won't lie, I didn't think he was this good, I wanted Hughes at 3. His skating is much better than anticipated and once he fills out, he's going to be lethal. His shot and vision are unreal hopefully, he'll play between 210 and 220 which will make him extremely hard to knock off the puck.

Back to his shot...

His release is top notch and above average in the NHL already. He's one of the rare players who will be able to beat goalies from 20+ feet, his release is extremely deceptive and his passing skills will keep goaltenders guessing. As a habs fan, it's hard to believe we have a possible future 1C. Feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad