C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
After reading Wheeler's latest rankings, I have a feeling this is going to start becoming a more popular opinion, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it - I'm a huge fan and think Perreault should go top 10. I currently have him 8th. I'm not quite there yet, but I don't think it's crazy to say it's at least debatable with Perrault and Benson. I think they could have a similar impact while having different strengths and weaknesses.

There's just so much to like about Perrault's game - excellent vision, high hockey IQ, tremendous hands, deceptive with the puck, thinks the game 2 steps ahead. There's a reason he's putting up the numbers he is. Not saying he's as good, but there are times when he reminds me of Jack Hughes. I'm not really sure what the big knock would be? He's not small and his skating probably checks out around above average. I think he'll be a 50+ assist type of player and my comp would be Alex Tanguay.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
After reading Wheeler's latest rankings, I have a feeling this is going to start becoming a more popular opinion, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it - I'm a huge fan and think Perreault should go top 10. I currently have him 8th. I'm not quite there yet, but I don't think it's crazy to say it's at least debatable with Perrault and Benson. I think they could have a similar impact while having different strengths and weaknesses.

There's just so much to like about Perrault's game - excellent vision, high hockey IQ, tremendous hands, deceptive with the puck, thinks the game 2 steps ahead. There's a reason he's putting up the numbers he is. Not saying he's as good, but there are times when he reminds me of Jack Hughes. I'm not really sure what the big knock would be? He's not small and his skating probably checks out around above average. I think he'll be a 50+ assist type of player and my comp would be Alex Tanguay.
I just read the article too and then hopped on here. Only Jack Hughes has out-produced him in PPG in USNTDP according to the article. But only 31 posts about him here? Surprising.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

I think he has the best IQ out of the 4 main ustdp players, personally. I really like him. I used to have him first among these 4 but it's hard to deny the supreme talent and potential of someone like Will Smith. In the end, I find it quite strange when I see him in the 20's+ while the other 3 are all close to or in the top 10. Not too sure about the logic there.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Best forward on the NTDP u17s so far this season. His brother Jacob went the OHL route so will be interesting to see if Gabe goes that route too as Sarnia owns his rights. He is quite a bit smaller than his brother though so NCAA might be more suitable for him
I don't know but Jon' Sims son plays in London & they have another kid that's also small but it looks like they can handle the rough going.I would love to see Gabe play in Sarnia.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
I don't know but Jon' Sims son plays in London & they have another kid that's also small but it looks like they can handle the rough going.I would love to see Gabe play in Sarnia.
He will be at Boston College next year with his linemates

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
I just read the article too and then hopped on here. Only Jack Hughes has out-produced him in PPG in USNTDP according to the article. But only 31 posts about him here? Surprising.

Well, it's an incredibly good line and I think people are of the opinion he is benefitting from it not driving it, unlike the other two. Not even saying I necessarily agree, but I think that is part of it.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Well, it's an incredibly good line and I think people are of the opinion he is benefitting from it not driving it, unlike the other two. Not even saying I necessarily agree, but I think that is part of it.
Maybe he is just the greatest complimentary player ever, and interestingly, there would be a lot of value in a player like that.

Reactions: Kupo

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah he's definitely overlooked at this point IMO. He makes Smith better as much as it is the other way around.
I think he has the best IQ out of the 4 main ustdp players, personally. I really like him. I used to have him first among these 4 but it's hard to deny the supreme talent and potential of someone like Will Smith. In the end, I find it quite strange when I see him in the 20's+ while the other 3 are all close to or in the top 10. Not too sure about the logic there.
I agree though I think Will Smith has great hockey sense too. All three of Smith, Perreault, and Leonard are top 10 for me.

Reactions: Gospel of Prospal

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Oh interesting, what about Moore?
I'm probably his biggest critic to be honest. I'm just simply not a fan and most will not see eye to eye with me. I have major issues with his hockey sense and how he processes the game. He doesn't use his linemates well at all, kills plays with consistency by taking shots from poor angles, shoots everything off the rush before giving the play a chance to develop.

He's a great skater and always has the puck so he looks good, but I just don't find him to be very efficient with the tools he has. He basically has two plays - 1, skate in one on two and rip a shot and hope it goes in or 2, skate into the zone, circle into the corner until he runs out of room and dish to a linemate that he put into a poor position.

I have him 26 on my list right now. There is an NHL player there, but I find his skating will be less of an advantage as he progresses levels. If you put him with grinders and just have Moore be a puck dominant player it can work. If you put him with skill players, IMO he is just going to ruin the line. This is obviously not a popular opinion though.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I'm probably his biggest critic to be honest. I'm just simply not a fan and most will not see eye to eye with me. I have major issues with his hockey sense and how he processes the game. He doesn't use his linemates well at all, kills plays with consistency by taking shots from poor angles, shoots everything off the rush before giving the play a chance to develop.

He's a great skater and always has the puck so he looks good, but I just don't find him to be very efficient with the tools he has. He basically has two plays - 1, skate in one on two and rip a shot and hope it goes in or 2, skate into the zone, circle into the corner until he runs out of room and dish to a linemate that he put into a poor position.

I have him 26 on my list right now. There is an NHL player there, but I find his skating will be less of an advantage as he progresses levels. If you put him with grinders and just have Moore be a puck dominant player it can work. If you put him with skill players, IMO he is just going to ruin the line. This is obviously not a popular opinion though.
Hmm interesting, I've had similar thoughts about Moore, so I see where you're coming from. I think betting on his skating and skill level is a good bet but I agree that his decision-making could use some work (from what I've seen). Thanks for sharing!

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Maybe he is just the greatest complimentary player ever, and interestingly, there would be a lot of value in a player like that.
I can't tell if you're serious or ironic. But I think exactly that, I can't believe he's just a complementary player producing 2ppg (unless he was the best complementary player of all time lol). This is the second highest ppg in the history of pragama.
In my view, he cannot be ranked that far below the other 3. And I agree with what he says that he helps Smith as much as he is helped. I would consider it in the top 15.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I can't tell if you're serious or ironic. But I think exactly that, I can't believe he's just a complementary player producing 2ppg (unless he was the best complementary player of all time lol). This is the second highest ppg in the history of pragama.
In my view, he cannot be ranked that far below the other 3. And I agree with what he says that he helps Smith as much as he is helped. I would consider it in the top 15.
Yes it was a bit tongue in cheek. Hard to ignore the production as well, but I always remember, if it was only about point production the draft would be a very easy exercise.

Reactions: JotAlan

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
When I watch I also agree he's more of a "passenger" but he's scoring a lot. I have him next to Cristall as high risk high reward. I very much prefer Smith and Benson at this point personally. I also have a slight biased due to his brother disappointing :laugh:

Reactions: cheesymc

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Was looking at some Eiserman stats and NTDP records since it seems likely to me that Eiserman will break the all time goals record for the program. Long way to go, but I would bet it happens.

When doing so I noticed the single season points record is 117 set by Matthews. Perreault sits at 96 with 14 games remaining. Seems pretty likely he breaks that. 10 points would be a fairly pedestrian U18 tournament which will mean he needs 12 points in 7 games, all against USHL opponents, when he's at just under 2.0 points per game for the year for USHL games.

Maybe he'll get some respect when he breaks the record. Calling it now - he should be easy top 15 and I have him top 10 right up there with guys like Benson, Sale, Leonard, and Barlow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gospel of Prospal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad