C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Am I the only one who is thinking that Zegras is starting to get overrated? I see a good player with above average skills, but lacking aggressiveness.

He's got a great skill-set and might be the best playmaker in the draft (aside from Hughes). A lot of players of his ilk look low energy at first glance because they process the game a different way and allow the play to develop instead of being hyper aggressive.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Am I the only one who is thinking that Zegras is starting to get overrated? I see a good player with above average skills, but lacking aggressiveness.
You are not. If Zegras goes in top 10, I think it will be a big mistake for the team picking. Scouts overrate dangles and stickhandling. There will be better players available with more substance to their game.

Reactions: JoemAvs

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You are not. If Zegras goes in top 10, I think it will be a big mistake for the team picking. Scouts overrate dangles and stickhandling. There will be better players available with more substance to their game.
Like passing? Zegras is top-3 in the draft in that category.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Like passing? Zegras is top-3 in the draft in that category.
Yes, in junior game. But how he will get the same time and space in the NHL? He needs to work on his skating. Also he's not a big goal scoring threat right now and his game leans on playmaking too much imo for that to work out. And compete level is questionable.

Reactions: JoemAvs

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

I tend to agree with this; hands, dangles, vision are what make him so interesting, but also overrate his chances of being effective at the pro level IMO. That being said, Zegras has so much highlight potential and such a compelling skill set I think it's worth the gamble in hopes that his offensive skill set does translate to the NHL.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Some people also thought Crouse brought more to the table than flashy playmakers like Barzal and had more dimensions to their game. At times, you got to realise that skill and hockey sense are what matter the most. With his vision and skills, he'll be able to adapt to higher levels. He only needs to get stronger and faster and he's good.

Reactions: WJZ3 and Lemonlimey

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I said this on the Sabres board, but he reminds me of Mittelstadt.

There were too many times this year when Mittelstadt didn't operate/think quick enough. I can see that same issue with Zegras. He plays at such a slow speed due to the competition, I would have some reservations if he will be able to adjust playing at 10x the speed he currently plays at.

Reactions: jvr32

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I said this on the Sabres board, but he reminds me of Mittelstadt.

There were too many times this year when Mittelstadt didn't operate/think quick enough. I can see that same issue with Zegras. He plays at such a slow speed due to the competition, I would have some reservations if he will be able to adjust playing at 10x the speed he currently plays at.

I do think Mittelstadt is a fine comparable, but I'm not so sure it's a negative thing. Mittelstadt will figure it out and be a massive offensive force.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Some people also thought Crouse brought more to the table than flashy playmakers like Barzal and had more dimensions to their game. At times, you got to realise that skill and hockey sense are what matter the most. With his vision and skills, he'll be able to adapt to higher levels. He only needs to get stronger and faster and he's good.

And some people always thought Crouse was terribly overrated and were over the moon when their team passed on him and also believe that Zegras is overrated and would really love to dodge the bullet at #4 named Trevor Zegras.

Don't get me wrong. Kid has a great skillset but out of all the kids on that once in a generation U18 team we got to witness this season, Caufield and Zegras are the two players I want the least (if they go around where they are projected right now) and feel are probably overhyped due to that legendary team they got to play on.

I am really not sure that Zegras will be a center on the NHL level. And IMO many of the things he does won't work on the next level. Especially if you want him to carry his line.
I also don't really see those Barzal comparisons. Barzals biggest strength is skating by far IMO and Zegras is not even close to as good of a skater IMO.

He has amazing vision and should turn into a legit NHL player but for now I would rather pick someone else personally. Especially if we are talking top5 pick.

I don't believe these smokescreens out of Chicago one bit that Turcotte is not a lock for them but please Stan. I beg you. Take Zegras over him!

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
And some people always thought Crouse was terribly overrated and were over the moon when their team passed on him and also believe that Zegras is overrated and would really love to dodge the bullet at #4 named Trever Zegras.

Don't get me wrong. Kid has a great skillset but out of all the kids on that once in a generation U18 team we got to witness this season, Caufield and Zegras are the two players I want the least (if they go around where they are projected right now) and feel are probably overhyped due to that legendary team they got to play on.

I am really not sure that Zegras will be a center on the NHL level. And IMO many of the things he does won't work on the next level. Especially if you want him to carry his line.
I also don't really see those Barzal comparisons. Barzals biggest strength is skating by far IMO and Zegras is not even close to as good of a skater IMO.

He has amazing vision and should turn into a legit NHL player but for now I would rather pick someone else personally. Especially if we are talking top5 pick.

I don't believe these smokescreens out of Chicago one bit that Turcotte is not a lock for them but please Stan. I beg you. Take Zegras over him!

Before the draft, Barzal was a good but not elite skater like he is today. His playmaking was McDavid level though. I mean, I like Turcotte more than Zegras and I want Turcotte for the Avs. However, I don't think Zegras would be a bad pick at 4. He's riskier sure, but he has more upside than guys like Cozens to me. Sometimes, I find that flashy players with unreal vision actually work out well at the next levels. Sure, they can't make the exact same plays they used to, but they find ways because they are creative players who understand the game better than the others.

Also, I'm not saying Zegras will be a center. I just think he is a terrific prospect.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He's got a great skill-set and might be the best playmaker in the draft (aside from Hughes). A lot of players of his ilk look low energy at first glance because they process the game a different way and allow the play to develop instead of being hyper aggressive.
Personally I think he is the best playmaker in this draft-including Hughes. Hughes is better at essentially everything else and it's his lethal combination of playmaking and skating that makes him lock for #1. Zegras is more of a 1 trick, passing, pony-but my god, the kid is just an insane passer. Maybe he ends up as a wing at the NHL level, maybe his lack of a great shot keeps him from being an elite offensive force, maybe he slows the game down a bit too much and maybe he plays on the perimeter too much, but at the same time maybe at the NHL level, he turns good shooters into elite scorers. Zegras is the guy that can take your team's 25 goal scorer and make him pot 40.

Dach and Hughes are great passers in their own right but if that was the only skill you cared about, Zegras is the guy IMO.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, in junior game. But how he will get the same time and space in the NHL? He needs to work on his skating. Also he's not a big goal scoring threat right now and his game leans on playmaking too much imo for that to work out. And compete level is questionable.
I hope you're kidding. Lmao! if you're not you never seen him play in a full game. Your thoughts are completely invalid after that comment.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Zegras played the U18’s with a seperated shoulder. Did you guys watch him last year when Hughes was gone? How about this year?

Opinions are opinions but there are some fava beans being shot in this thread. Reader beware.
Zegras PPG in 2017-18
With Hughes: 0.82
Without Hughes: 1.21

Zegras PPG in 2018-19
With Hughes: 1.50
Without Hughes: 1.29

We have seen the "Chicago will take home-grown Turcotte" constantly. If Blackhwaks had won #2 and Rangers #3, we would likely be reading "Rangers will take home-grown Zegras" instead.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'd say DET, ANA, VAN are the best fits for him. LAK, BUF and EDM I'd think the three WHL centres would be more valuable.

Yeah, interesting you say so because I agree 100%. I think Buffalo and Edmonton would benefit from more no-nonsense, if lower ceiling, picks like Boldy, Krebs, or Cozens if he's there. I could see Zegras really panning out nicely in Detroit, Anaheim, Vancouver, or Los Angeles as well actually.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Hilarious take.
Totally agree! Makes me think that he’s never watched the kid! Zegras is who I want the Avs to take at 4. Let him develop at least 1 year in college and step into the 2C roll behind Mack after that. Kid is going to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad