C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He seems to be the most controversial top half pick thats for sure. Anywhere from 3-15, but probably top ten
I don't think so, at all. Will be picked somewhere between 5-9. Newhook( league),Caufield(size), Podkolzin( KHL, stats), Kaliyev(skating), are far more controversial.
Zegras doesn't really have any issues, except that he isn't Hughes or Turcotte.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Is Turcotte really better than Zegras?
Watching Turcotte to me is like.... Imagine if ROR played like Toews. Stocky guy with non-stop motor, great skater, but the two-way selke level D that Toews has.

Potential: 70 point C w/ Selke votes- That's like best case scenario for Turcotte IMO

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Watching him he kind of reminds me of Matt Duchene style wise. Is that a good comparison for those who have watched him more?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The comparison is very dated, but the vision/IQ paired with the passing ability is like a modern hockey version of Igor Larionov. If you look at some of the high level passes that Zegras has made over the course of the season, I can't help but draw comparisons to what Larionov built his career on. That being said, I think Zegras has a slightly higher ceiling due to how the game has changed.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Then I haven't made such a dumb statement after all then. Projecting these kids is hard and even harder with your development team as they play so many games against inferior opposition. (I can include the U18 WC by the way). Now I'll have the Swiss, the Finns, the Germans and the Latvians all over me lol! As you know in Canada there is a much more equitable distribution of talent at the junior level.

I'm in no way denigrating the US talent in this draft year. You, especially have an incredible collection of really dynamic forwards that will go early in the draft. It's that they all play on the same team. Different schools of thought I guess.

But if I'm a USHL player and those guys are skating rings around me and my team mates like that we play some old school hockey and find out how tough we all are. Way too many big smiles and laughs behind those face masks. Just sayin' lol.
those days are gone my friend - smiles and laughing was going on after the B's and Leafs playoff series (our grandparents would roll over in their graves to hear that today), same for Caps and Canes..the game has changed, less and less goons on the ice, and kids at 14-15 years old are looking at this sport as a business now more than anything else. this has been the most dominating group of USNDP ever, this is the exception and not the norm...most years the USHL does just fine against this group - I am sure the opposition has looked at them in wonder out there as well with the skill they posses.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
7-10 is going to be so interesting this year with Podkolzin, Krebs, Zegras and Boldy likely to be there, on the assumption that Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Cozens are all off the board. Teams could also jump at Caufiled, Broberg, Newhook and make a surprise pick. Sabres, Oilers, and Ducks will have a ton of pressure on them as there are so many ways this could all shake out. Can't wait!

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
7-10 is going to be so interesting this year with Podkolzin, Krebs, Zegras and Boldy likely to be there, on the assumption that Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Cozens are all off the board. Teams could also jump at Caufiled, Broberg, Newhook and make a surprise pick. Sabres, Oilers, and Ducks will have a ton of pressure on them as there are so many ways this could all shake out. Can't wait!

Depends if Pod goes Top 6 as well as that will push down one of Turcotte, Dach or Cozens. Maybe Byram.
You are right, going to be very interesting, maybe even 3-10?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Depends if Pod goes Top 6 as well as that will push down one of Turcotte, Dach or Cozens. Maybe Byram.
You are right, going to be very interesting, maybe even 3-10?
It is going to be chaos from 3-10. Apparently Button says that he thinks Zegras is the best center after Hughes (this makes me think Button has him in the 3-5 range). The only player I can't see getting passed 5 is Byram.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It is going to be chaos from 3-10. Apparently Button says that he thinks Zegras is the best center after Hughes (this makes me think Button has him in the 3-5 range). The only player I can't see getting passed 5 is Byram.

Agree with Byram and I really hope Zegras falls to #7. I'm not sure what is a better place to be in terms of Chicago making a tough decision or the Sabres/Oilers taking the sliders. No complaints really! Excited for the draft for this reason alone.

Reactions: Castle8130

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think too many people are thinking their own rankings are going to be what happens at the draft. McKenzie's rankings are the most accurate barometer of who will go where. There are a lot of dumb teams in the NHL that draft poorly, and thats often why they are in the lottery. I would be very surprised if Podkolzin drops more than a spot or two. He'll very likely go top 5 with the other two in the top 5 being two of the three CHL'ers. The only chance I think someone else goes in the top five is if Chicago picks Turcotte. Besides that, its going to be Hughes at 1, Kakko at 2, 3-6 Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, Byram in some order.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
those days are gone my friend - smiles and laughing was going on after the B's and Leafs playoff series (our grandparents would roll over in their graves to hear that today), same for Caps and Canes..the game has changed, less and less goons on the ice, and kids at 14-15 years old are looking at this sport as a business now more than anything else. this has been the most dominating group of USNDP ever, this is the exception and not the norm...most years the USHL does just fine against this group - I am sure the opposition has looked at them in wonder out there as well with the skill they posses.

I'm only half serious. Anybody that plays the game at any level today deserves the assurance that it is relatively safe and that they will leave the arena all in one piece. Physical play is fine within the rules.
Best.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just the way he skated and handled the puck reminded me of Duchene in his early years. Seems more aware though and his vision is better imo.
Duchene was a better skater and puck handler, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille