C Thomas Bordeleau - Barracuda, AHL(2020, 38th, SJS)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bummer for him. He wouldn't have had a huge role (unless he played his way into it), but he had earned a spot on the team and it would have been a great development experience for him. He'll be there next year.

Especially a bummer for having to leave due to Beecher's positive tests which could have been a false positive. He apparently tested negative twice afterwards..
We are living in unprecedented times when it comes to playing international tournaments in the middle of a pandemic, and covid counts are raging everywhere.

I wish they could have put in some measures for a possible false positive.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Especially a bummer for having to leave due to Beecher's positive tests which could have been a false positive. He apparently tested negative twice afterwards..
We are living in unprecedented times when it comes to playing international tournaments in the middle of a pandemic, and covid counts are raging everywhere.

I wish they could have put in some measures for a possible false positive.

Seems odd there is no leniency in such a year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy is a great example, in my opinion, of why NHL scouts are not infallible. He was great for two years. He hasn't improved more than most good players since the draft. This is the same level he showed in past seasons. Why is he he only now getting more attention for his play? And he played for a team where NHL scouts should've watched him play a lot. They whiffed. I think it's that simple.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
USA could've used their brains a bit and had separate rooms for their players.

They room together at U of M, the idea would be they really haven't been separate during this...

Also, not sure what you do about a false positive, the IIHF really ****** this more than oh if only they had separate rooms.

I guess they could have and should have done more, but man this one sure didn't feel right in terms of why they are out. Especially if you can fly into the bubble test positive and um play... Why are all these guys getting kicked out for positives where full recoveries were made and false positives. But maybe just a few more bucks for hotels. Honestly this was happening 25 minutes from their current residence, it wouldn't surprise me if the U of M kids were staying in their normal places though it didn't sound like it when they were told they couldn't go. But that might have been safer than even bringing them into the hotel/billet setup as well.

I think him and Beecher would have given us a really good third line. So bummed.

I liked Bordeleau entering the draft, one of the guys I was okay with picking at the beginning of the second round heading into the draft if he was there. Actually like who we got more, but still I think he has all the makings of a real solid NHL player. He competes and he plays a game a coach can trust, it is going to earn him more ice time and bigger roles moving forward. I look forward to having him on the team next year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This guy is a great example, in my opinion, of why NHL scouts are not infallible. He was great for two years. He hasn't improved more than most good players since the draft. This is the same level he showed in past seasons. Why is he he only now getting more attention for his play? And he played for a team where NHL scouts should've watched him play a lot. They whiffed. I think it's that simple.

I don't think anyone believes NHL scouts are infallible, that said I don't think 8 games of college hockey is enough to suggest scouts whiffed on a player that was taken early in the second round. Bordeleau is a player that really impressed me while I was looking over NTDP games to get a sense of other players and I think he can become a contributor at the NHL level but you are getting ahead of yourself a little here.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I don't think anyone believes NHL scouts are infallible, that said I don't think 8 games of college hockey is enough to suggest scouts whiffed on a player that was taken early in the second round. Bordeleau is a player that really impressed me while I was looking over NTDP games to get a sense of other players and I think he can become a contributor at the NHL level but you are getting ahead of yourself a little here.
To be fair, the guy you are replying to had Bordeleau at 10 predraft, so he is not basing it on what happened at Michigan at all. That was his opinion before hand, and so far his college play is more in line with 10th than 38th.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think it was a weird year for comparing leagues. Bordeleau did amazing on the NDTP, but the team as a whole was weakish and didnt have the hype or firepower it normally does.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
To be fair, the guy you are replying to had Bordeleau at 10 predraft, so he is not basing it on what happened at Michigan at all. That was his opinion before hand, and so far his college play is more in line with 10th than 38th.

Okay, my point it's way too soon to suggest that the player should have been taken much earlier. Seriously it's 8 games of college hockey, that doesn't justify anything.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay, my point it's way too soon to suggest that the player should have been taken much earlier. Seriously it's 8 games of college hockey, that doesn't justify anything.

I now see these prospect writers suggesting that Bordeleau should've went higher in the draft.

And I actually agree with your larger point. I don't think opinions should change that much after 8 games, but I think we should be using our own opinions, not necessarily the consensus opinions.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i think if he had a better top gear he could have gone closer to 10.

it was a pretty open draft after the top 13 so I don't think going 38 is really dropping that much.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He should've gone in the latter half of the first round. He's been consistently excellent and fun to watch. Losing his chance at a gold medal because his roommate tested positive for COVID has got to be heartbreaking. I am sure he would be a big factor had he made the team as the 2C.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Another 2 apples today. 18 points in his first 13 games. Not bad.

Michigan's best freshman in my opinion. Beniers/Power/Johnson will be judged differently as draft eligibles, which is fair, but I think Bordeleau has been the best freshman, and honestly the best player, on Michigan's roster.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
All of the freshmen have been impressive in their own way and to varying degrees. Bordeleau is the best player on the team and its not really close, he impacts every game, even when he doesn't score, his hockey IQ is elite, he's the best face-off man, he leads the team in +/-, kills penalties, quarterbacks the power play. STUD

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Michigan's best freshman in my opinion. Beniers/Power/Johnson will be judged differently as draft eligibles, which is fair, but I think Bordeleau has been the best freshman, and honestly the best player, on Michigan's roster.
Seems like SJ got a steal in the 2nd. Really liked our draft this year. He has to be one of the biggest risers, if not the biggest, of the draft so far, but a lot of kids haven’t gotten to play yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad