C Theodor Niederbach - Frölunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 51st, DET)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I thought you guys were kidding until I looked it up...I can’t even wrap my head around the logistics of how a player gets into a game for only six seconds without being somehow injured. That seems like the definition of pointless to call him up and then have him ride the bench the whole game.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
I thought you guys were kidding until I looked it up...I can’t even wrap my head around the logistics of how a player gets into a game for only six seconds without being somehow injured. That seems like the definition of pointless to call him up and then have him ride the bench the whole game.

Not that uncommon, and even without the ice-time it's a good experience, he gets to see how the pros get ready for the game, how they behave on the bench and so on. As well as being a nice "hey we have seen how you perform in J20, soon you'll get your shot at the mens level."

If there are still injuries tomorrow he'll probably get more ice-time then.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. Completely agree with Christoffer.

I had similar experiences as a teenager myself - being promoted to the senior team. Initially it was more about familiarizing yourself with the environment more than playing. Should be a boost for him whatever happens in terms of playing time short term.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Not that uncommon, and even without the ice-time it's a good experience, he gets to see how the pros get ready for the game, how they behave on the bench and so on. As well as being a nice "hey we have seen how you perform in J20, soon you'll get your shot at the mens level."

I’m not sure how it works in Sweden, but I’d assume he also gets a nice payday for being in a SHL game.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Maybe, I'm not convinced. I think ice time is generally way more important than the 13th forward gigs. Learn by playing, not watching. If Niederbach is not ready for a long look, let him play elsewhere. And don't allow 13 forward lineups.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Maybe, I'm not convinced. I think ice time is generally way more important than the 13th forward gigs. Learn by playing, not watching. If Niederbach is not ready for a long look, let him play elsewhere. And don't allow 13 forward lineups.
Don't underestimate practicing/training/being around the mens team. Getting a taste of it for a week or two will definitely benefit him. If he goes months without playing meaningful shifts then I would agree that its a problem.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't know Frölunda specifically, but I doubt they are planning to carry him around as a 13rd forward for months without playing any other games. Not really the way things work in Sweden when it comes to developing young players.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don't know Frölunda specifically, but I doubt they are planning to carry him around as a 13rd forward for months without playing any other games. Not really the way things work in Sweden when it comes to developing young players.

I don't think that will happen either but it has happened in the past, just ask Sebastian Collberg. Noel Gunler could be the next good example.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It does need to be asked, for people who have watched him beyond highlights, how complete is his game?

Like, 30 points in 16 games is great, but does he suck defensively to a point that'd hinder him in the NHL?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
It does need to be asked, for people who have watched him beyond highlights, how complete is his game?

Like, 30 points in 16 games is great, but does he suck defensively to a point that'd hinder him in the NHL?
I haven't watched him play an entire game. That said, the two scouting services that I purchased (HockeyProspect.com and McKeen's) both made comments about sound defensive positioning. HP stated "he never cheated his defensive assignments" and "his backcheck was superb . . ."

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I haven't watched him play an entire game. That said, the two scouting services that I purchased (HockeyProspect.com and McKeen's) both made comments about sound defensive positioning. HP stated "he never cheated his defensive assignments" and "his backcheck was superb . . ."

Baby Zetterberg incoming :naughty:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sweden fans, I thought Sweden was a little thin at center this year...any reason he wouldnt be getting a look? They really have 4 better options to the point its not worth bringing him?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Sweden fans, I thought Sweden was a little thin at center this year...any reason he wouldnt be getting a look? They really have 4 better options to the point its not worth bringing him?
Remember that time Pettersson played center for Sweden at the World Juniors?

Funny thing is that Pettersson played with the men's team same season as his last juniors where he played at C, and the season after won the Calder playing at C.

That's just how Sweden operates if you're creative offensively you know. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I think one could argue that sweden have zero centers better than Niederbach. At least not if you're about to face a team filled with junior players, against men he's probably a little less efficient than some of the options, but it's not like that's what you'll be facing with the U20 team.
Same thing from hockey Sweden every year when it comes to these rosters. Role players and guys who's been around with the age group for several years over high end skill and guys who are the better players now, always leaving at least one or two players at home who are clear upgrades.

And don't you dare being overly creative when playing at center. Big no no.

Reactions: newfy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think one could argue that sweden have zero centers better than Niederbach. At least not if you're about to face a team filled with junior players, against men he's probably a little less efficient than some of the options, but it's not like that's what you'll be facing with the U20 team.
Same thing from hockey Sweden every year when it comes to these rosters. Role players and guys who's been around with the age group for several years over high end skill and guys who are the better players now, always leaving at least one or two players at home who are clear upgrades.

And don't you dare being overly creative when playing at center. Big no no.

Why is it a big nono for centers in Sweden to be creative offensively? Do they only want the center to play the traditional defensive role?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Why is it a big nono for centers in Sweden to be creative offensively? Do they only want the center to play the traditional defensive role?

Was a bit in jest but for a long time there's been this focus on the center being good defensively and more a facilitator of offense rather than a creator. The more skilled, creative guys getting pushed to wing instead. And sadly not just at the national team level but you see it with club teams as well. Which has created a hole at center for the new generation of players. Thankfully Elias Pettersson has given team Sweden a #1C for the future but beyond him it's pretty grim.
It's a bit odd as well because young D are given a lot of rope to be creative and try stuff from the back end but centers are not getting the same freedom it seems.

Save us Theodor you're our only hope.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Was a bit in jest but for a long time there's been this focus on the center being good defensively and more a facilitator of offense rather than a creator. The more skilled, creative guys getting pushed to wing instead. And sadly not just at the national team level but you see it with club teams as well. Which has created a hole at center for the new generation of players. Thankfully Elias Pettersson has given team Sweden a #1C for the future but beyond him it's pretty grim.
It's a bit odd as well because young D are given a lot of rope to be creative and try stuff from the back end but centers are not getting the same freedom it seems.

Save us Theodor you're our only hope.
Personally I think there's a bit of a problem in swedish hockey that pushes a lot of forwards towards the defensively reliable mold of player that doesn't take risks offensively.
Maybe it's the lack of middleground between juniors and SHL. You can see it with Niederback now, he's probably too good for juniors but might have a hard time in the SHL.

Not been very happy with swedish forward development the last 15-20 years. Finally with Nylander and Pettersson we have some creative young forwards again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad