C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am sure that Goyette and Rehkopf will become wingers at the pro level.

Long-term, I think a center core of Beniers, Wright, and Mølgaard has real upside. Sprinkle in a few of Rehkopf, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Sale, and that top 9 is looking to have good potential too.

For defense, Evans, Dragicevic, Price, and Nelson are a good prospects but I would like to see them land a top prospect on the backend to really give that group a boost (maybe in the upcoming draft?).

Regardless, the Kraken brass have done a good job of drafting so far so they are in a position where Wright might not need to pan out to his full potential (but doing so would be a +).
A guy like Sam Dickerson could sure anchor the Kraken backend going forward but I'm not sure if they will be picking high enough to get that type of guy.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
3 assists Friday, and a goal from the slot Saturday.
I read this and thought to myself based on watching him in Kingston pre-draft, I'll bet if I check the box scores, at least 2 of those will be secondary assists. Lo-and-behold, all three were.

And this is the deal with this kid. In Kingston, if you looked at his point totals, you think, damn...kid is great offensively. Then you watch him play and realize he is piling up tons of those secondary assists and out of those, not a lot of them actually made a contribution towards the goal in any real terms. That's why I personally was crossing my fingers that we didn't draft him. At least def not 1OA.

Based on his pedigree and draft position, he should be dominant at least to some degree. But based on the several Coachella games I watched this year, not much has changed. He does not pass the eye test. His saving grace may be his shot and ability to get into position to let it go. I just don't see a lot more than that. Probably should've been a mid first rounder at best. I wish I had access to all the teams' draft lists. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the earliest he was positioned by many teams.

If he was smart, he should work really hard to carve out a niche as a elite to very good defensive center who can be put in the bumper position on one of 2 PP units where he can utilize that great release.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I read this and thought to myself based on watching him in Kingston pre-draft, I'll bet if I check the box scores, at least 2 of those will be secondary assists. Lo-and-behold, all three were.

And this is the deal with this kid. In Kingston, if you looked at his point totals, you think, damn...kid is great offensively. Then you watch him play and realize he is piling up tons of those secondary assists and out of those, not a lot of them actually made a contribution towards the goal in any real terms. That's why I personally was crossing my fingers that we didn't draft him. At least def not 1OA.

Based on his pedigree and draft position, he should be dominant at least to some degree. But based on the several Coachella games I watched this year, not much has changed. He does not pass the eye test. His saving grace may be his shot and ability to get into position to let it go. I just don't see a lot more than that. Probably should've been a mid first rounder at best. I wish I had access to all the teams' draft lists. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the earliest he was positioned by many teams.

If he was smart, he should work really hard to carve out a niche as a elite to very good defensive center who can be put in the bumper position on one of 2 PP units where he can utilize that great release.

Interesting that you didn't make this post a week ago when Wright's three points were all primary... 🍒

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Point taken that this is, actually, a thread about Shane Wright. So, to bring it back on topic, he's had flashes of offensive brilliance but nothing sustained yet. Still barely 20 years old though. Lots of time to get it together.
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 4.09.00 PM.png

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

At least people can know you’re trolling by the bolded comments.

You actively said you stat watched to come up with your conclusion.

Can you share which games you watched where he wasn’t good? I’d love to see your thought process.

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
At least people can know you’re trolling by the bolded comments.

You actively said you stat watched to come up with your conclusion.

Can you share which games you watched where he wasn’t good? I’d love to see your thought process.

So devaluing secondary assists is trolling? On what planet? I've been watching hockey for well over 50 years. And it's always been a given that secondary assists are less-than. In some cases, they're very integral to a goal, in many they're not. So my comment was based on watching him with Kingston down the stretch and into the playoffs (where I watched every game). Where a good chunk of his points was because he happened to be on the ice when other players drove the play. I also watched every Coachella playoff game (maybe less a few or so) both home and away, where they went to the finals. But it was impossible to critique his stats, why? Because he only had 2 measly points in 24 playoff games.

I can't remember the last exact games I watched of his, that was back in Nov/Dec. All I know, is there wasn't a change in his game. And I come to the conclusion that IMO a lot of it comes down to style. And I don't see his style translating to a game worthy of a 4th overall pick, who was the consensus 1st overall pick. Do you really think he's going to live up to that hype? Be honest. You watch him play.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
So devaluing secondary assists is trolling? On what planet? I've been watching hockey for well over 50 years. And it's always been a given that secondary assists are less-than. In some cases, they're very integral to a goal, in many they're not. So my comment was based on watching him with Kingston down the stretch and into the playoffs (where I watched every game). Where a good chunk of his points was because he happened to be on the ice when other players drove the play. I also watched every Coachella playoff game (maybe less a few or so) both home and away, where they went to the finals. But it was impossible to critique his stats, why? Because he only had 2 measly points in 24 playoff games.

I can't remember the last exact games I watched of his, that was back in Nov/Dec. All I know, is there wasn't a change in his game. And I come to the conclusion that IMO a lot of it comes down to style. And I don't see his style translating to a game worthy of a 4th overall pick, who was the consensus 1st overall pick. Do you really think he's going to live up to that hype? Be honest. You watch him play.
No one here said consensus #1 pick. That’s a term Canadian fans added to make themselves feel better about drafting someone else. Consensus #1 picks don’t fall to 4th. Ever. Everyone thought the top 4 was a jumbled mess and could have gone any which way.

All I’m saying is that people don’t appreciate people like you coming in and trashing a player and then proceed to gaslight them and tell them that wasn’t what you meant. You came in here to illicit these types of reactions and you got what you wanted.

Edit: Also do you know the breakdown of Wrights Primary assists to secondary assists for the season? I did the leg work for you since I’m assuming you’re too lazy to do it yourself. He has more primary assists than secondary. 7-6. Not a wide margin but you’re making it sound like he’s got 1 primary assist.

Also, I know you’re not watching him because some, not all, of the secondary assists are direct involvements that aren’t simple pass plays. So yes he is improving.

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
No one here said consensus #1 pick. That’s a term Canadian fans added to make themselves feel better about drafting someone else. Consensus #1 picks don’t fall to 4th. Ever. Everyone thought the top 4 was a jumbled mess and could have gone any which way.

All I’m saying is that people don’t appreciate people like you coming in and trashing a player and then proceed to gaslight them and tell them that wasn’t what you meant. You came in here to illicit these types of reactions and you got what you wanted.
What are you talking about? Wright wasn't the consensus #1 pick? Reallly? C'mon...

No not "people". YOU people. Let's get that straight. Simply by using hysterical words like "trashing" and falsely accusing me of posting to bait, says it all and proves my point 100%. I post about the players merits. Like I said, your weak argument and others', is easily debunked by the fact I, in your words, "trash" Lane Hutson on these boards. Cya. Not worth my time, dude.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
So it was someone other than you who blanket called us all "nerds"?

I mean, I'm a card-carrying, PhD-holding grade-A 100% nerd. But that's not all of us.
I was addressing "advanced stats' in general. but that would be obvious to most people. And for the record, I have my education on Computer Systems Tech. And worked for Microsoft for many years. So, not anti-nerd by any means. I prefer to assess players and teams the old fashioned way. Watching them play. Satisfied now?

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I was addressing "advanced stats' in general. but that would be obvious to most people. And for the record, I have my education on Computer Systems Tech. And worked for Microsoft for many years. So, not anti-nerd by any means. I prefer to assess players and teams the old fashioned way. Watching them play. Satisfied now?

I also like to "watch them play" if that helps (and I've seen about half of Wright's AHL games this year in their entirety).

Reactions: LesCanadiens

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I also like to "watch them play" if that helps (and I've seen about half of Wright's AHL games this year in their entirety).
Fantastic. So what are you thoughts on how he's playing? I'd be sincerely interested to know. And if you don't like my thoughts or projections, I'd also sincerely be interested to know why? Or pass if you want, lol. It's a free world right? My feelings don't get damaged easy. Believe me.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Was Wright just one of those guys frayed in the tops of a weak draft so the expectations were (are) not fair? Who in the top four of his draft are looking like high end NHLers? If Wright can accept he’s going to be more of a 2/3 checking centre instead of an elite scorer maybe he has a really good career? Heck maybe that’s true for all the top guys in that draft?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So based on numbers he looks pretty good. Anyone seen any play or a deeper dive than just points?

I’ve watched him play 7 or 8 games this year between NHL preseason and AHL games vs. Abbotsford.

His shot should play in the NHL. It’s a laser. And he has a goal scorer’s instincts to find seams and space to get that shot off.

His compete level and defensive play is … not good, even allowing for the fact that he’s an underage AHLer. Long stretches of play where he just seems to be floating around anonymously and then he’ll get one chance and bury it.

To me he projects as a complimentary sniping winger. I’ll be a bit surprised if he sticks at C in the NHL. I wouldn’t be surprised if he scores 30 goals at some point from the wing. I also wouldn’t be shocked if his lack of motor/compete busts him entirely.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
If Wright can accept he’s going to be more of a 2/3 checking centre instead of an elite scorer maybe he has a really good career? Heck maybe that’s true for all the top guys in that draft?

I’m sorry, I just can’t help not laughing at this (I’ve read statements vaguely similar to these over the years about Wright)

I don’t think any scout has said Wright ‘wants‘ to be an elite scorer? I’ve always thought Wright could be a good top-6 playmaker. The kid gets harped on by a lot similar to Byfield - and the criticism is unfortunate

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Was Wright just one of those guys frayed in the tops of a weak draft so the expectations were (are) not fair? Who in the top four of his draft are looking like high end NHLers? If Wright can accept he’s going to be more of a 2/3 checking centre instead of an elite scorer maybe he has a really good career? Heck maybe that’s true for all the top guys in that draft?
Nemec and Cooley look good.

They are all still kids

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Nemec is looking like who should of been drafted first in the draft year. He is looking solid (from a Hawks fan not NJ).

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

Thing is, often when a player don't pass the eye test, get a lot of secondary points but keep producing at every level, it's because their execution and IQ is elite (at least, offensively). They are always in the right spot, always make the right play, passes are always tape to tape, etc.

That being said, I haven't watch a lot of Wright. Just wanted to share thoughts!

Reactions: luapejrug

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Thing is, often when a player don't pass the eye test, get a lot of secondary points but keep producing at every level, it's because their execution and IQ is elite (at least, offensively). They are always in the right spot, always make the right play, passes are always tape to tape, etc.

That being said, I haven't watch a lot of Wright. Just wanted to share thoughts!
Yeah, I totally understand that. And that's what I expected to see when I started watching Shane Wright play with the Frontenacs. And that is what surprised me most. Is that purported "elite IQ" was overblown. He's no dummy, don't get me wrong, but his IQ didn't stand out as overly special. Unlike for example, Zach Benson. Who I also watched a great deal last year pre-draft. Now THAT is a player with elite IQ and the proof is in the pudding. He's in the NHL in his D year and Wright is still in the AHL.

What I saw was a player getting points to often (for such a hyped pick) only because he got tons of top minutes with the very best players. Chromiak was the best forward on that team, IMO. Here's an analysis I read back then that really well describes how Shane Wright was clearly not performing anywhere near as expected. And IMO, very close to how I viewed him based on his D year play. Especially the turnovers. For a guy that came advertised as being an elite, 2-way (see Bergeron) type player who was also elite offensively, he sure looked unaware and sometimes plain lost in all 3 zones. And clearly was way below expectations offensively. He should've been around 2PPG his D year. And I got the feeling watching him that year, that he was still being propped-up as the favorite for 1st overall strictly based on the fumes of being special status and dominating his 1st year junior and a lot of hype that typically surrounds Ontario born/based prospects. Not saying he still doesn't have a chance at being a top 6 player, but he'd have to make some pretty big seismic shifts. Again, a center who's not terribly fast, not a puck distributer, not big, not physical, not dynamic...I don't see it. But I've been proven wrong before and will be proven wrong again. I just don't see it with Shane Wright.

Reactions: loadie and goforit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I totally understand that. And that's what I expected to see when I started watching Shane Wright play with the Frontenacs. And that is what surprised me most. Is that purported "elite IQ" was overblown. He's no dummy, don't get me wrong, but his IQ didn't stand out as overly special. Unlike for example, Zach Benson. Who I also watched a great deal last year pre-draft. Now THAT is a player with elite IQ and the proof is in the pudding. He's in the NHL in his D year and Wright is still in the AHL.

What I saw was a player getting points to often (for such a hyped pick) only because he got tons of top minutes with the very best players. Chromiak was the best forward on that team, IMO. Here's an analysis I read back then that really well describes how Shane Wright was clearly not performing anywhere near as expected. And IMO, very close to how I viewed him based on his D year play. Especially the turnovers. For a guy that came advertised as being an elite, 2-way (see Bergeron) type player who was also elite offensively, he sure looked unaware and sometimes plain lost in all 3 zones. And clearly was way below expectations offensively. He should've been around 2PPG his D year. And I got the feeling watching him that year, that he was still being propped-up as the favorite for 1st overall strictly based on the fumes of being special status and dominating his 1st year junior and a lot of hype that typically surrounds Ontario born/based prospects. Not saying he still doesn't have a chance at being a top 6 player, but he'd have to make some pretty big seismic shifts. Again, a center who's not terribly fast, not a puck distributer, not big, not physical, not dynamic...I don't see it. But I've been proven wrong before and will be proven wrong again. I just don't see it with Shane Wright.

He's already improved on many of those things since his draft year. A 2C type role is not far fetched for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad