C Shane McColgan (2011, 134th overall, Rangers)

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
Hey, hes a friend of a friend and all I know is he plays for Kelowna and in a couple of drafts he slotted into the top ten...If anyone could tell me anything about him, it would be appreciated

McColgan is slick as all hell. He's more of a playmaker, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the net. He will defend himself, despite his small size. Not afraid at all of playing dirty. He's a huge part of the Kelowna offense and lost WHL rookie of the year only because of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I think McColgan is being a little underrated right now. I've seen some rankings where he's rated in the late teens. I see a lot of similarities between McColgan and Nugent-Hopkins. McColgan isn't as skilled as RNH, but he's more willing to get his nose dirty. By the time the draft rolls around next June, I fully expect McColgan to be a top 10 pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Shane McColgan - Kelowna Rockets, WHL

Why has he fallen so much? Granted I can't see him play, but I remember reading/hearing he was pretty hyped up for the 2011 draft, even top 10.

Looking at his stats he's doing pretty well with 50 points in 44 games... what happened to the kid?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The biggest concern that I have with McColgan is that I have a hard time picturing what kind of player he is in the NHL. To me, he looks like a great junior player but a boom-or-bust guy in the NHL.

If he were bigger, I think his physical play would earn him higher reguards, but the fact that he's undersized and plays the style he does scares alot of the scouts off. He could turn out to be like Jordan Eberle, but time will tell.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Why has he fallen so much? Granted I can't see him play, but I remember reading/hearing he was pretty hyped up for the 2011 draft, even top 10.

Looking at his stats he's doing pretty well with 50 points in 44 games... what happened to the kid?

Who says he's fallen?
Why can't you see him play? All games are on line.

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
Who says he's fallen?

A lot of people had him in the top 10-15 picks coming into this year. Some even had him pushing the top 5. Now, he's absent from just about every person's first round mock draft, and could fall out of the second.

But my theory is he hasn't improved much from last year to this year. I think people were ranking him high because they thought he would continue to get better. The numbers haven't really taken that big of a jump, and it seems like his size is scaring NHL teams off because of it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Who says he's fallen?
Why can't you see him play? All games are on line.

He has obviously fallen. I remember late last year Bobby Mac even said that McColgan was one of his dark horses to climb into the top 5 of the draft...so people obviously had some damn high opinions of him at that point in time.

Mock drafts don't carry much weight, but I guarantee you that most scouts would agree that a large number of players have passed him by on ranking sheets for every given team.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
He has obviously fallen. I remember late last year Bobby Mac even said that McColgan was one of his dark horses to climb into the top 5 of the draft...so people obviously had some damn high opinions of him at that point in time.

Mock drafts don't carry much weight, but I guarantee you that most scouts would agree that a large number of players have passed him by on ranking sheets for every given team.

Fallen or slotted appropriately. That is what I am referring to.

note - NHL prelim had him at the 15th highest dub forward....they moved him up to 11th in their mid term.

Far too high in my mind.
At no time did I or do I see him as a 1st round pick....my 2 cents...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Fallen or slotted appropriately. That is what I am referring to.

note - NHL prelim had him at the 15th highest dub forward....they moved him up to 11th in their mid term.

Far too high in my mind.
At no time did I or do I see him as a 1st round pick....my 2 cents...

Oh ok, I see what you mean now.

So do you just see him as one of those tweeners that is a good junior player that doesn't translate to the NHL?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Shane McColgan

He's tied for the lead scorer in the WHL Playoffs. Unlike the other top scorers though, he doesn't have teammates with similar amounts of points.

His stock must be going up. Where do you think he ends up going?

I think any team after the 20th pick would be lucky to have him, yet he could end up in the late 2nd round. He looks like he has the potential to be the steal of the draft.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
A team won't use a 1st round pick on him, most likely a 2nd rounder. Could also see him falling if teams are scared that his 'size' will be an issue at the next level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any info on his style of play, I havent seen enough of him?

He's very shifty with the puck with great vision, hockey sense, and has improved his 2-way game. His ultimate downfall was heavy inconsistent offensively and too soft on the puck. At his best his playing style reminds me of Gerbe/Kane.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's very shifty with the puck with great vision, hockey sense, and has improved his 2-way game. His ultimate downfall was heavy inconsistent offensively and too soft on the puck. At his best his playing style reminds me of Gerbe/Kane.

I'm guessing nowhere near as feisty as Gerbe though?

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
iv heard people mention cattenacci could warrant a first round pick, what makes mcColgan inferior?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm guessing nowhere near as feisty as Gerbe though?

At his best he can be as feisty as Gerbe, the problem is his passion is on some nights and off others. So you're basically getting a bipolar type of player if he continues his inconsistency. If he could get the package together he has offensive potential like Ennis while his game is alot like Gerbe/Kane (feisty playmaker with a good shot).

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
looking back at the thn 2010 draft magazine, for 2011 draft prospects they had mccolgan at 10, compared him to fleury and said he was 5'11:laugh: but I wouldn't mind picking him up in the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad