C Shane McColgan (2011, 134th overall, Rangers)

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
ya the THN was pretty off base on that one... he has increased his stock but still.. maybe maybe bottom 2nd round early 3rd.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
He's carrying his team on his back! What 2nd/3rd round pick has done this recently in their draft year, while being the lead scorer?

Like I said, he'll likely fall outside of the 1st, but that team would be very lucky to have him.

Definitely a player that the Kings would take. They don't seem to care how many small skilled forwards they have.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Joey Hishon of this year's draft?

That's an interesting thought to be honest. The "consensus" out there has McColgan pegged as a 2nd-3rd round player. But surely there is a team out there watching him in the playoffs so far and having him creep up their draft board. All it takes is one team to have him in their top 20 and he could go much earlier than expected.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I think SEPHs' thoughts on him are pretty accurate. After watching him now for 2 seasons he is obviously highly skilled, with great on ice vision, smarts and passing ability. He can chirp a bit much at times but is not a cheap shot type guy.

If not for a very slow start this season due to illness and poor play by the Rockets I doubt he falls as far as he has. Size will be an issue but he seems to be shifty enough to not get hit very often. Consistancey is another knock, but again I feel like the early season illness played a big part in that. The second half of the season he was very good most nights. No comparison is perfect but a Marc Savard type player is what I see. I cant see him sneaking back into the first round but anywhere mid 2nd round and down and I think he could be a steal.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
Shane McColgan

This is my first post, so hello all!

I'm looking for opinions on his NHL upside, what role he'll likely play and when you think he'll be drafted. Thanks in advance!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's smallish (tiny even) but has speed to burn. I would expect him to get selected by a team looking to gamble on him managing to make it, perhaps even a team that has extra picks in the middle of the draft, looking to take a chance on a small scorer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for replying, Chainshot! He seems to play bigger than his size. Any idea as to what his upside can be?

In what limited viewings I've had, he seems like a guy who would be a scoring line player (the classic "2nd liner") if he can develop his game fully. If he can find the right team and continue to hone his work from shift to shift, there are a number of small scoring wingers he could model his game on.

Edit - and by mid-round, I'm thinking between 3rd and 5th. He had too good of a playoff to not get taken, in my opinion, even if he is small. Skill is skill and it is hard to come by.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
McColgan was thought of in the same vein as RNH this time last year, but Hopkins exploded and McColgan didn't show off an extra gear - until this year's playoffs. For a smaller guy to look like he's treading water and have trouble with consistency at a junior level, that's just about prospect death - but he does have that high level talent, and his performance in the playoffs might be appetizing for a team looking for a talented boom/bust type player later in the draft, but those two strikes against him (size, hunger) tend to be major strikes in the scouting world.

That said, I don't doubt he has the ability to be a scoring line contributor in the NHL. He is quite feisty, and he has good wheels and hands.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
McColgan was thought of in the same vein as RNH this time last year, but Hopkins exploded and McColgan didn't show off an extra gear - until this year's playoffs. For a smaller guy to look like he's treading water and have trouble with consistency at a junior level, that's just about prospect death - but he does have that high level talent, and his performance in the playoffs might be appetizing for a team looking for a talented boom/bust type player later in the draft, but those two strikes against him (size, hunger) tend to be major strikes in the scouting world.

That said, I don't doubt he has the ability to be a scoring line contributor in the NHL. He is quite feisty, and he has good wheels and hands.

Yeah, it's the consistency of the fire that hurt him. His stock has taken a hit this year and others have passed him by. But... someone is likely going to take him, just not where his talent may have placed him looking back to last year's projections. For small guys to succeed, they simply have to want it more than bigger players. Does he want it bad enough? That's certainly a question clouding his future.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
I agree. Skill is skill, and it seems like he was a forgotten man prior to his play-off run. It will be interesting to see where he goes. Thanks for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
Hello, Zaphod. Thanks for joining. Didn't SM suffer from tonsilitis or something to that effect? I could be wrong, but perhaps that hurt him more than people would like to think. It seems like his health improved, and he was the player many thought he would be during the regular season come play-off time.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
He looked very fast when I watched him. He also seemed to have a great shot. I think he will still be a good player and great value

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
@ Dave. Can you or anyone else describe his shot -power, accuracy, quickness? If anyone cares to, can you rank all 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being rare for NHL, 9 NHL Caliber All-Star, 8 Solid for NHL, 7 Flourishing AHL'er, 6 Flourish in Jr, 5 and below, who the hell cares.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like the kid. Similar to a player like St. Croix in Edmonton. Undersized, but a good skater and a good shot. I like his compete level a LOT more than St. Croix's. He could still find his way into the 2nd round after a very strong playoff for Kelowna this year.

Funny to think that some people had this guy pegged him as a potential top 10 for 2011 at this point last year, Bob McKenzie included. Oh how things change in one year.

DangleInaPhonebooth

Jun 12, 2011
I like the kid. Similar to a player like St. Croix in Edmonton. Undersized, but a good skater and a good shot. I like his compete level a LOT more than St. Croix's. He could still find his way into the 2nd round after a very strong playoff for Kelowna this year.

Funny to think that some people had this guy pegged him as a potential top 10 for 2011 at this point last year, Bob McKenzie included. Oh how things change in one year.

Indeed. I'm curious to see where he goes. He was ranked high early on and fell. I wonder how much his play-off run will improve his draft stock.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
he ended up getting traded to saskatoon then to portland and finished the season with penticton junior A.. he had decent numbers in junior a

Under a PPG in the BCHL is decent, if you're the kid I went to High School with -- not for a 21 year old former "future first rounder."

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
he ended up getting traded to saskatoon then to portland and finished the season with penticton junior A.. he had decent numbers in junior a

I can google too. I meant… how did this guy go from a 1st round prospect with 4 years of WHL experience to a 21 year old playing junior A. Something obviously went wrong with the kid. Maybe someone has some insight.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
He just never got any better after his first full season in the WHL and fell to the 5th round in his draft year. The next 2 years again his point production just didn't improve, and he missed most of his overage season with injury (concussion I think?) and CHL teams are limited to how many overagers they can have so he got sent to Junior A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad