C Sam Steel - Regina Pats, WHL (2016, 30th, ANA)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I had Steel as a 4th round type. Simply don't get the hype here at all.

Small, slow, non-dynamic vanilla player.

Nice hands on the PP and good vision but to me he projects as a second line AHL center. Linden Vey type player.

I'm inclined to agree, but maybe not to that extreme, but yeah I just don't see anything special in Steels game that makes me think he is going to be a top6 forward in the NHL. He's been real underwhelming in my viewings. Have him ranked outside of the top50.

Oct 18, 2011
6 goals and 9 assists in 6 games

2nd leading scorer in the league, 1 point behind Cody Glass who has played 4 more games
:amazed:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
6 goals and 9 assists in 6 games

2nd leading scorer in the league, 1 point behind Cody Glass who has played 4 more games
:amazed:

Not too shabby. Will be interesting to see the kind of year Steel and Benson have. Coming out of Edmonton 1-2 in the Bantam draft Benson was the better player, but with the injuries in his draft season its hard to get a good read on him. Would be nice to see them both succeed after both being highly touted local talent at a young age. Benson had a slow start after missing all of training camp, but he's up to 5-4-9 in 6gp after 0-1-1 in his first 3. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on Sam this year, hope he turns out to be a good one.

Oct 18, 2011
9+10 in 8 games tied with Cody Glass for the league lead in scoring.

2nd in goals and tied for the league lead in short handed goals

Wonder what ailed him last year, he has come out of the gate red hot to start the season :amazed::amazed:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Worst case scenario if he doesn`t translate his skills to NHL, the Idaho Steelheads from the ECHL will be glad to sign him just for marketing reasons alone.

Nah but the kid is looking good. He was not that good in Ducks preseason but it was clear when we drafted him that he`s a bit of a project. He needs to add strenght and some bulk but for sure it is nice to see him tearing up the WHL since the start of the season. He has played 4 less (33%) games than the other league co-leader in points (some fancy stats for ya :sarcasm:).
He continues to florish in all situations.

1. I checked the Pats roster and they didn`t seem to have any high end talent yet the team is playing really well. What has been the main reason for it can someone more knowledgable say?

2. Any chance he makes WJC`s roster?

PS
I fully expect him to play 2 more seasons in the WHL after which he`d probably need some seasons in AHL. He`s a project but really exciting one

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Worst case scenario if he doesn`t translate his skills to NHL, the Idaho Steelheads from the ECHL will be glad to sign him just for marketing reasons alone.

Nah but the kid is looking good. He was not that good in Ducks preseason but it was clear when we drafted him that he`s a bit of a project. He needs to add strenght and some bulk but for sure it is nice to see him tearing up the WHL since the start of the season. He has played 4 less (33%) games than the other league co-leader in points (some fancy stats for ya :sarcasm:).

1. I checked the Pats roster and they didn`t seem to have any high end talent yet the team is playing really well. What has been the main reason for it can someone more knowledgable say?

PS
I fully expect him to play 2 more seasons in the WHL after which he`d probably need some seasons in AHL. He`s a project but really exciting one

Regina might not have a Patrick or any top 10 calibre players but it's really about the sum of the parts for them. They have a bunch of NHL picks on that roster - Steel, Brooks, Ahl, Hobbs, Wagner, Zborovskiy; then a guy like Leschyshyn who should be a 1st-2nd this year and rookie Nick Henry who has been impressive to start the year. They clearly have a good team environment, you can just see it in how they play and stick up for one another..

wouldn't be huge surprise to see him on the WJC roster. Canada lost a lot of players to the NHL this season, that's never an accurate measure of how talented any player is as a prospect, though. Case in point being Perlini last year, or guys like Jake Anderson making it year after year; all that TC brass cares about is whether you have been in the program previously (Steel has, so that bodes well for him)

Oct 18, 2011

PS
Pats are the no.2 ranked team in the CHL and they have some good talent on the roster. maybe not superstar nhl prospects but i like Ahl and Leschyshyn

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He's not going to play in the NHL this year or next year

definitely not this season but next season is possible depending on how he elevates his game, I mean possible to get his feet wet in 10 or less games next season. Keep in mind the wing depth in Anaheim to use him on the wing.

He'll get the call to San Diego if they're in the playoffs this season.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
definitely not this season but next season is possible depending on how he elevates his game, I mean possible to get his feet wet in 10 or less games next season. Keep in mind the wing depth in Anaheim to use him on the wing.

He'll get the call to San Diego if they're in the playoffs this season.

I agree that Steel should absolutely join the Gulls after his WHL season ends. He'll probably sign his ELC sometime during this season, too.

However, I'm not so sure about Steel making the Ducks' roster next year. He did not look impressive during Anaheim's preseason games, he needs a lot of training in order to become a big league player. The Ducks also have a history of not rushing their prospects, so ushering Steel into the NHL roster as soon as next year would go against everything they've been doing so far.

At this point, it seems very likely that Steel will spend this season and the next in the WHL.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I've watched a couple games, he deserves all the numbers he's put up for sure. He plays with a very high IQ all over the ice. He doesn't really WOW you with his skills/speed but he just makes the right play and benefits from having talented wingers in the right places. I think the best comparable for me would be Toews. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a "2nd line" version of him.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Sam Reinhart super lite?

Not a bad comparison.

I have watched him several times this year and am very excited about him. What I notice watching junior is some players put up great numbers and you can attribute it to one attribute that helps them dominate against lesser competition, such as size, speed, shot etc. But a lot of these players fail at the next level because their one attribute they have can either be neutralized or is not significant enough to allow them to dominate at the NHL level. Steel on the other hand is the type of well rounded player I love because he thinks the game at a high level and has a combination of skills where the sum is greater than the parts. These are the types of players that I think project best to the next level.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Not a bad comparison.

I have watched him several times this year and am very excited about him. What I notice watching junior is some players put up great numbers and you can attribute it to one attribute that helps them dominate against lesser competition, such as size, speed, shot etc. But a lot of these players fail at the next level because their one attribute they have can either be neutralized or is not significant enough to allow them to dominate at the NHL level. Steel on the other hand is the type of well rounded player I love because he thinks the game at a high level and has a combination of skills where the sum is greater than the parts. These are the types of players that I think project best to the next level.

Agree. Assuming he keeps developing as he has, I think his floor is a championship caliber 2-way 3rd line center. Though, I think he has just as much of a chance of becoming a legit 2nd line C... but since he's not exactly a speedster I think a lot of it will have to do with how he develops physically. If he adds weight and able to add a bit more of a physical element to his game he could even be a borderline All Star. The hockey IQ is there for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad