C Sam Steel - Regina Pats, WHL (2016, 30th, ANA)

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Couldn't find a thread for this guy, so I thought I'd make one for him.

Currently playing in game 3 of the preseason for the Pats, and has 6G, 4A, and 10Pts. Was the 2nd overall pick in the 2013 WHL bantam draft behind Benson...Should be a player who goes in the first round come the 2016 draft.

Last edited:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Should be, will be. Looked great with no contribution in 5GP last year. Thought he was caught off guard amidst great talent at U17 camp, and underwhelmed as a result.

Got his bearings back much stronger with less expectation and more space in WHL preseason action. Love his skill.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Should be, will be. Looked great with no contribution in 5GP last year. Thought he was caught off guard amidst great talent at U17 camp, and underwhelmed as a result.

Got his bearings back much stronger with less expectation and more space in WHL preseason action. Love his skill.

Yup he's a beauty. Idk if he'll dominate the league this year, but I will be watching him closely, and expect 50+pts maybe more. Also to clarify my above statement. For me he's a mid 1st rounder right know.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
All I can say, as a guy who sold him a couple of his suits; Nice quiet kid, super intense hockey mom, can see him being a real successful player

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Super smart and skilled, does it all at top speed too. Does a good job of working his edges to change angles and keep his balance while under pressure. He will shine this year. Could have a Brayden Point-like rookie season.

Tibetzz

Nov 8, 2013
He'd better become an NHL star, it's been a while since we've had a real "best name in sports history" contender.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Looks like this kid has really bulked up during the summer:

c017553.jpg

Come on, there's gotta be at least one Canadian history buff who gets my stupid joke.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The kid is special. Had the chance to see him once this pre-season, scored a pair of goals and added an assist too.

He's got good speed and elite hockey sense, which helps make up for his somewhat small stature. His shot is very good and his release is extremely quick.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 50+ point rookie season, followed by a point per game draft year.

Him and Klimchuk should be one of the CHL's more dynamic duos in 2014-15 and I think he's trending as a top 10 player for the 2016 NHL Draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Can any Regina fans comment on how he's playing so far this season? Thank you in advance!

From my post in the WHL section a few days ago, as I've seen him 4-5 times this year:

Fantastic player. Works hard and has extremely high-end hockey sense. Very smart, always in the right spot. Shifty and also has a dynamite shot. Wish he was a bit bigger, but he's so smart that it shouldn't hold him back too much.

A legit top 15 pick for the 2016 NHL Draft at this point for me, if not top 10.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
From my post in the WHL section a few days ago, as I've seen him 4-5 times this year:

Fantastic player. Works hard and has extremely high-end hockey sense. Very smart, always in the right spot. Shifty and also has a dynamite shot. Wish he was a bit bigger, but he's so smart that it shouldn't hold him back too much.

A legit top 15 pick for the 2016 NHL Draft at this point for me, if not top 10.

Sounds like Sam Reinhart but maybe with better skating? How accurate would that be to say?

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Sounds like Sam Reinhart but maybe with better skating? How accurate would that be to say?

I'd say that's pretty accurate. Smaller than Reinhart though, he can get pushed off the puck pretty easily. He probably creates better off the rush.

His vision/passing is his best asset like, Reinhart. He sees things out there he has no business seeing while playing at top speed.:amazed:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Decent start to his draft year with 1A. He was passing the puck well and made a great steal that led to the Pats only goal. Also was an HM on Bobby macs top 15 list to start the year.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Honestly after seeing this kid play for two years.. I really don't get the hype behind this kid.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I watched him in Edmonton the other night. He must be playing injured or just isn't playing as well as everyone hoped he would this season.

His skating only looked above average and overall he was pretty weak with the puck. He was getting consistently knocked on his *** and couldn't really make anything happen offensively. Edmonton isn't a great team so I thought he would show better. Empty net goal to his credit I guess.

NotAlexHood

Nov 4, 2015
I've heard some comparisons to Merkley, who was clearly a divisive player last year. Similar size/playing style, what makes Steel an early 1st-rounder compared to Merkley?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad