Prospect Info: C/RW Matthew Savoie, 9th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft - Traded to Moose Jaw 1/4/24

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Thankfully, they are years away from needing to make that decision. We can be patient with waiting to see which of them rise to the top.
Watch Rosen turn out to be the best he just needs weight and strength if he could add ten bounds without losing his speed he could be a good player he has a good toolkit he just needs to get stronger on his skates so he can use those tools real burner with a nice shot and great hands

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Watch Rosen turn out to be the best he just needs weight and strength if he could add ten bounds without losing his speed he could be a good player he has a good toolkit he just needs to get stronger on his skates so he can use those tools real burner with a nice shot and great hands
hopefully Buffalo doesn’t stunt his growth by thinking he needs to be rushed to the NHL level because of some mindset they have with any promising prospect, that they should be playing at the NHL level quickly. Goes for all the prospects as well.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
hopefully Buffalo doesn’t stunt his growth by thinking he needs to be rushed to the NHL level because of some mindset they have with any promising prospect, that they should be playing at the NHL level quickly. Goes for all the prospects as well.
Yea he is a longer term type let him roast in the ahl for a couple years as for savoie he probably makes the jump

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yea he is a longer term type let him roast in the ahl for a couple years as for savoie he probably makes the jump
If Matt is able to play in the AHL, send him there first, especially under this coaching staff that’s on the main roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Savoie off the pipe and then beats the goalie to have DeSouza sweep the puck out before it crosses the line. He looks dangerous as ever.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
what is the next thing for this guy? what should the Sabres do with him, if they didn't have their collective heads up their asses?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
what is the next thing for this guy? what should the Sabres do with him, if they didn't have their collective heads up their asses?

If things go off the rails for Moose Jaw in the playoffs, assignment to Rochester seems like the springtime thing.

In the longer term? Him coming to camp and perhaps winning a winger spot. The problem of course is that they already have a small sea of smallish (or small playing), scoring wingers.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If things go off the rails for Moose Jaw in the playoffs, assignment to Rochester seems like the springtime thing.

In the longer term? Him coming to camp and perhaps winning a winger spot. The problem of course is that they already have a small sea of smallish (or small playing), scoring wingers.
The other issue is this team is just gonna get younger. If Kulich and Savoie make the team and with Okposo and perhaps Girgensons gone can the team continue to add young prospects without balancing it out with some veterans?

Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The other issue is this team is just gonna get younger. If Kulich and Savoie make the team and with Okposo and perhaps Girgensons gone can the team continue to add young prospects without balancing it out with some veterans?

Yep. Or they look to move some of the youngish guys they already have and spin them up to some more experienced players. In terms of Savoie, he was pretty close at the last camp, went and performed at a high level in the WHL after performing well in the AHL. Something similar to Stankoven's season could be on his horizon - part of the year in the AHL, then come up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Somehow, a comment someone made in a thread about Point playing at a time when the WHL was more defensive was what woke me up this morning. I don't know who it was - search indexing thing has me just poking at threads trying to find it - but being a long-time watcher of things CHL, that comment hadn't sat right with me. So... taking the GF totals for every team over a number of those seasons, dividing them out by the total number of games played, I got the following for goals per game on average in the WHL

However, doing a little math we find not much:

2023-24: 5196 goals scored (22 teams, 1496 games) 3.4732 g/game

2022-23: 5200 goals scored (22 teams, 1496 games) 3.4759 g/game

2021-22: 5040 goals scored (22 teams, 1496 games) 3.3690 g/game

---

2015-16: 5149 goals scored (22 teams, 1584 games) 3.2506 g/game

2014-15: 5246 goals scored (22 teams, 1584 games) 3.3119 g/game

2013-14: 5296 goals scored (22 teams, 1584 games) 3.3434 g/game

So whoever was trying to discount Savoies points/game pace as compared to Point, consider this season to Point's best (14-15) to Savoie this year and there is a whopping 0.2226 goals per game difference, or said another way that would average to 15 total goals per team for a 68-game season. It's not possible to handwave away the difference as though Point was playing in some sort of deadpuck era.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Somehow, a comment someone made in a thread about Point playing at a time when the WHL was more defensive was what woke me up this morning. I don't know who it was - search indexing thing has me just poking at threads trying to find it - but being a long-time watcher of things CHL, that comment hadn't sat right with me. So... taking the GF totals for every team over a number of those seasons, dividing them out by the total number of games played, I got the following for goals per game on average in the WHL

---

So whoever was trying to discount Savoies points/game pace as compared to Point, consider this season to Point's best (14-15) to Savoie this year and there is a whopping 0.2226 goals per game difference, or said another way that would average to 15 total goals per team for a 68-game season. It's not possible to handwave away the difference as though Point was playing in some sort of deadpuck era.
You have a point there

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I see this, and it makes me wonder how Benson's season last year compared to others his age historically.

I'm excited to Savoie with Rochester assuming it happens. He'd probably be the last of the 3 names mentioned in trades for immediate help that I'd actually trade. Rosen is a no brainer. Kulich is enticing, but I'm not sure how he translates to the NHL. Savoie seems to bring so many layers to his game; speed, tenacity, slick mitts, two-way game, etc...I haven't watched much of him, but watching highlights and seeing the comments here about him- I'm intrigued to see what he'll be in the show more so than our other prospects.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Savoie is our “untouchable” forward prospect to me. He just has the high motor and tenacity the Sabres so desperately need. And it’s infectious. Having him and benson will help bring it out of others.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Savoie is our “untouchable” forward prospect to me. He just has the high motor and tenacity the Sabres so desperately need. And it’s infectious. Having him and benson will help bring it out of others.
He's at the top of my list as well but in reality I don't want to move any of them. Use the top ten pick we're about to get (unless a lottery win miracle somehow happens) to bring in a high quality vet and continue to let the kids percolate and move up naturally.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
He's at the top of my list as well but in reality I don't want to move any of them. Use the top ten pick we're about to get (unless a lottery win miracle somehow happens) to bring in a high quality vet and continue to let the kids percolate and move up naturally.
I don't believe a top 10 pick alone will bring in a high quality vet. It's just not that strong a draft year. A hockey trade is going to be needed to fill in roster holes, in particular the large one that was created with the last hockey trade. Some combination of the pick, roster players, and prospects are going to have to go, but with Mitts gone, I would hope one of the prospects isn't our only projectable future center in Ostlund.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As 19 or younger seasons go, figure guys with at least 20 games played and it's the 2nd best points/game season in the last 12 years, behind only Bedard's 17-year old season last year. Pretty damn good.

I see this, and it makes me wonder how Benson's season last year compared to others his age historically.

I'm excited to Savoie with Rochester assuming it happens. He'd probably be the last of the 3 names mentioned in trades for immediate help that I'd actually trade. Rosen is a no brainer. Kulich is enticing, but I'm not sure how he translates to the NHL. Savoie seems to bring so many layers to his game; speed, tenacity, slick mitts, two-way game, etc...I haven't watched much of him, but watching highlights and seeing the comments here about him- I'm intrigued to see what he'll be in the show more so than our other prospects.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

---

That was me, I said scoring was about 10% lower. IT's actually about 7%. But quite the opposite of hand-waving things, noting that in D+1 they were each 6th in the W and 1st as D+2 (ppg).

EDIT: if you look at the leader tables there's a pretty noticeable difference between decades.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That was me, I said scoring was about 10% lower. IT's actually about 7%. But quite the opposite of hand-waving things, noting that in D+1 they were each 6th in the W and 1st as D+2 (ppg).

My mistake, I was thinking someone was again going to argue that Savoie isn't doing well.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad