C / RW Joni Ikonen - Ilves Tampere, Liiga (2017, 58th, MTL)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Can he just bolt, or does Frölunda have to release him from his junior contract?

These Fin/Swe players are becoming a point of contention because of the IIHF/NHL transfer agreement and specifically the transfer fee within it. When NHL signs a player who is under contract to an IIHF team, they pay something over $200k for the privilege. In Finland I believe they split it between the teams the player has played during the last three years, but there's no such agreement across the Bay of Bothnia, so when a Finn junior goes to SEL for the 18 y.o. season and gets drafted and signed to NHL from there, it's the SEL team who gets away with all the loot. Finn teams are not happy about it.

Whether or not a player gets loaned to play in SML is one thing, but I wouldn't expect a contractual release in many cases.

I would guess bolting from one IIHF associated league would be a big problem if trying to sign into another one afterwards.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
These Fin/Swe players are becoming a point of contention because of the IIHF/NHL transfer agreement and specifically the transfer fee within it. When NHL signs a player who is under contract to an IIHF team, they pay something over $200k for the privilege. In Finland I believe they split it between the teams the player has played during the last three years, but there's no such agreement across the Bay of Bothnia, so when a Finn junior goes to SEL for the 18 y.o. season and gets drafted and signed to NHL from there, it's the SEL team who gets away with all the loot. Finn teams are not happy about it.

Whether or not a player gets loaned to play in SML is one thing, but I wouldn't expect a contractual release in many cases.

I would guess bolting from one IIHF associated league would be a big problem if trying to sign into another one afterwards.

You are right about transfer prizes, but I've thought FEL aint iihf league. At least FHF has nothing with it, Mestis is the highest liittos league. I think iihf has not much say for Liiga Oy

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wow, colour me impressed. I take it he's one of the boys from the Ikonen hockey family? The tallest one of the brothers I presume?

His release doesn't look like the fastest (needs to work on that), but the accuracy looks top notch based on the shots. I really liked his game in the U18 WJHC. Yeah, like others have said before, the size shouldn't be an issue for him. According to eliteprospects he's 5"11 and that is enough for the NHL and already weights 176 lbs.

Montreal has a gem here. Not Sebastian Aho kind of gem, but still. It's crazy how Finland is suddenly producing this many players who actually show some NHL level talent. For a country of 5,3 million people, that's quite insane.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You are right about transfer prizes, but I've thought FEL aint iihf league. At least FHF has nothing with it, Mestis is the highest liittos league. I think iihf has not much say for Liiga Oy

Don't know the particulars, but apparently the SML Clubs are members in the Finnish Ice-Hockey Association and as such subject to the IIHF/NHL transfer agreement and any other IIHF rules. They are teams' players after all, not the Liiga's.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Wow, colour me impressed. I take it he's one of the boys from the Ikonen hockey family? The tallest one of the brothers I presume?

I don't know if they have any more brothers than Juuso and Joni but yes Joni is the taller one.

I thought he looked rather average in these practice games(2 games vs Czechs and 3 games vs USA, Canada and Sweden). Obviously a great shooter on the powerplay but his 5vs5 play wasn't particularly good. Few defensive lapses that caused some goals against and didn't really get to play with the puck that much. Might be a result of his linemates too, he would've needed somebody like Vesalainen and Tolvanen who could also pass him the puck and finish too.

Playing a big role for KalPa will be good for him, since he hasn't played that much hockey vs higher competition. Tries too many fancy moves instead of simple plays too often.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
As a Leafs fan it pains me to say, Ikonen look really good out there. He is a very smart player. Poehling looked good as well.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Doubt my opinion counts for much but I did have him inside my top 20. 9 seems a bit high. Love that the guy you linked had Lipanov at 16 as well. Had Lipanov in the early/mid 20s

dang you are high on lipanov and ikonen. I love lipanov and am happy tb drafted him but I had him comfortably in the 30s. same with ikonen.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Ikonen has a potential to be a very sleeper pick. I really liked him pre-draft and it's good to see him developing well

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Only 1 assist and -7 in 17 games in Liiga so far. Just from those numbers it doesn't look like his game has translated very well to the pro level (which was my biggest concern about him pre-draft). Anyone seen him play and could give an update on how he has looked and why the numbers aren't there?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Only 1 assist and -7 in 17 games in Liiga so far. Just from those numbers it doesn't look like his game has translated very well to the pro level (which was my biggest concern about him pre-draft). Anyone seen him play and could give an update on how he has looked and why the numbers aren't there?
With a total of 29 goals in 17 games, everyone's numbers are bound to look bad. Their top scorer has eight points in seventeen.

Surprisingly, Kalpa employs three of last year's second round picks: Texier, Luostarinen, and Ikonen. The three have combined for five goals and eight points.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's not developed enough physically to play with men yet. That probably is the biggest issue.

In my opinion, he should have been sent down to A-juniors a good while ago when this became apparent, but I'm not sure if they guaranteed him a spot in the Liiga lineup or why they haven't done it. It's obvious he can't play at that level yet.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Ikonen is playing his best game ever: he has two shots in one perioid and almost scored a goal. I think he will score tonight.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So uh...how is his season going? Stats Aren't flattering right now, so hoping his overall play says otherwise.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So uh...how is his season going? Stats Aren't flattering right now, so hoping his overall play says otherwise.

It's been a challenging season for him so far. It could be argued that he is perhaps not physically ready for Liiga. But It's tough to gauge since KalPa is just so bad. It doesn't really matter which line is on, they're usually getting buried alive. His play has been trending upwards of late, though. Last game he was on a line with Texier and they wreaked some havoc (against another dumpster fire team, mind you). He had an assist and 5 shots, most of them prime scoring opportunities, and he set up just as many. Sami rewarded him with some PP time.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well he is not a liability, I've seen around 15 games this year on TV and two live at stadium. I think two max three more years in Liiga and he can actually still become NHL ready.

Lacks bit of everything physically but his head knows how to play pro hockey

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Starting to find the back of the net at least

He was playing well for a handful of games before yesterday but just wasn't getting points from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad