C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I hope he doesn't end up in Ottawa, their player development along with their scouting has been pretty terrible for awhile now.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
I hope he doesn't end up in Ottawa, their player development along with their scouting has been pretty terrible for awhile now.

Not sure if serious.

6178 (from San Jose)Mark StoneRight Wing
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
496Jean-Gabriel PageauCentre
Canada
Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
246 (from Columbus)Robin LehnerGoalie
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Frölunda HC (Sweden)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5130Mike HoffmanCentre/Left Wing
Canada
Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
118Thomas ChabotDefence
Canada
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
4121Drake BathersonCentre
Canada
Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
232Shane PintoCentre United StatesTri-City Storm (USHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not sure if serious.

6178 (from San Jose)Mark StoneRight Wing
Canada
Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
496Jean-Gabriel PageauCentre
Canada
Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
246 (from Columbus)Robin LehnerGoalie
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Frölunda HC (Sweden)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5130Mike HoffmanCentre/Left Wing
Canada
Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
118Thomas ChabotDefence
Canada
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
4121Drake BathersonCentre
Canada
Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
232Shane PintoCentre United StatesTri-City Storm (USHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Batherson and Pinto aren't established in the NHL so they wouldn't count, most of the other ones except Chabot you had to go pretty far back for. If we look since say 2012 you have Ceci, Lazar, Harpur, Chabot, White, Jaros (maybe) and Tkachuk as regulars . With only Chabot, and Tkachuk being real impact players. Not my favourite team but compare that to Toronto who have had : Rielly, Brown, Gauthier, Johnsson , Nylander, Marner, Dermott, Matthews and already Robertson suiting up in the playoffs. Alot more impact players there and really shows that Ottawa have not done well with their high draft picks in recent years which teams should be nailing more often than not.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Batherson and Pinto aren't established in the NHL so they wouldn't count, most of the other ones except Chabot you had to go pretty far back for. If we look since say 2012 you have Ceci, Lazar, Harpur, Chabot, White, Jaros (maybe) and Tkachuk as regulars . With only Chabot, and Tkachuk being real impact players. Not my favourite team but compare that to Toronto who have had : Rielly, Brown, Gauthier, Johnsson , Nylander, Marner, Dermott, Matthews and already Robertson suiting up in the playoffs. Alot more impact players there and really shows that Ottawa have not done well with their high draft picks in recent years which teams should be nailing more often than not.

Top 10 picks sure makes it a lot easier

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

Oh man. Where to start with this one?

First off, I love that you start it in 2012, so that you can ignore the 2011 (Zibanejad, Pageau, Dzingel) and 2010 (Stone) drafts.

Matthews (1st), Marner (4th), Rielly (5th) and Nylander (8th) were top ten picks. While it's not always a slam dunk, it's definitely easier to draft players that have an immediate impact when you pick in the top 10. Since 2012, the Sens have only picked in the top ten once (Brady Tkachuk). You take away those picks and you're left with Brown, Gauthier, Johnsson and Dermott. Those are some solid players, but it's not exactly an awe-inspiring group.

You count Robertson, but Batherson "isn't established", despite the fact that Batherson has played more NHL games than Robertson. And yes, if the Sens made the playoffs, I imagine it would be pretty damn likely that Batherson would have played.

"Our player development sucks" despite Belleville being one of the top teams in the AHL while also being one of the youngest. A lot of our young drafted prospects like Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Chlapik and Daccord were key parts of the team. I know they haven't proven anything in the NHL yet, but our farm system is looking "A-ok" at the moment (and that's not including other promising drafted prospects like Pinto, Thomson, Bernard Docker, etc, as well as prospects from other organizations like Norris, Balcers and Abramov who have steadily improved over the past year). Maybe if we rushed these guys instead of letting them develop, it would make you happy.

Essentially, your point boils down to "the Sens drafting from 2012-2014 wasn't very good, so that means their scouting and development sucks". And yeah, our drafting in those years wasn't impressive, but we also didn't have more than one pick in the first two rounds of any of those years. Plus, we even drafted two late blooming goaltenders (Hogberg and Driedger) who broke through into the NHL this year, which shows that sometimes good development means taking your time with prospects (shocker, I know).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Oh man. Where to start with this one?

First off, I love that you start it in 2012, so that you can ignore the 2011 (Zibanejad, Pageau, Dzingel) and 2010 (Stone) drafts.

Matthews (1st), Marner (4th), Rielly (5th) and Nylander (8th) were top ten picks. While it's not always a slam dunk, it's definitely easier to draft players that have an immediate impact when you pick in the top 10. Since 2012, the Sens have only picked in the top ten once (Brady Tkachuk). You take away those picks and you're left with Brown, Gauthier, Johnsson and Dermott. Those are some solid players, but it's not exactly an awe-inspiring group.

You count Robertson, but Batherson "isn't established", despite the fact that Batherson has played more NHL games than Robertson. And yes, if the Sens made the playoffs, I imagine it would be pretty damn likely that Batherson would have played.

"Our player development sucks" despite Belleville being one of the top teams in the AHL while also being one of the youngest. A lot of our young drafted prospects like Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Chlapik and Daccord were key parts of the team. I know they haven't proven anything in the NHL yet, but our farm system is looking "A-ok" at the moment (and that's not including other promising drafted prospects like Pinto, Thomson, Bernard Docker, etc, as well as prospects from other organizations like Norris, Balcers and Abramov who have steadily improved over the past year). Maybe if we rushed these guys instead of letting them develop, it would make you happy.

Essentially, your point boils down to "the Sens drafting from 2012-2014 wasn't very good, so that means their scouting and development sucks". And yeah, our drafting in those years wasn't impressive, but we also didn't have more than one pick in the first two rounds of any of those years. Plus, we even drafted two late blooming goaltenders (Hogberg and Driedger) who broke through into the NHL this year, which shows that sometimes good development means taking your time with prospects (shocker, I know).

I said Leafs picked a player in Robertson who surprised and played in the playoffs , 18 yo who wasnt a 1st rounder. Robertson like Batherson isn't established. Go back further and yes there are some more NHLers but they weren't at all stars while with Ottawa most evolved when they left. Teams can still do well with later picks its all drafting , scouting and development look at the Flyers and what they've assembled including signing undrafted players young and developing them or a team like Carolina. Not going to deny Sens farm is looking decent just saying they don't have that NHL star production in recent years other than a couple good ones. Maybe Batherson , Norris , Brown and co change that we'll see .

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I said Leafs picked a player in Robertson who surprised and played in the playoffs , 18 yo who wasnt a 1st rounder. Robertson like Batherson isn't established. Go back further and yes there are some more NHLers but they weren't at all stars while with Ottawa most evolved when they left. Teams can still do well with later picks its all drafting , scouting and development look at the Flyers and what they've assembled including signing undrafted players young and developing them or a team like Carolina. Not going to deny Sens farm is looking decent just saying they don't have that NHL star production in recent years other than a couple good ones. Maybe Batherson , Norris , Brown and co change that we'll see .

Geez you made me dumber with your posts. If Ottawa does anything right, it’s drafting and developing players. Not many teams if any have done a better job in the last decade. Get your head out of your ... never mind.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
So back to Quinton Byfield......

After watching a lot of this Vegas - Vancouver series, anyone else see a stylistic comparison with Byfield and Tuch? While yes Byfield’s max potential is much higher than what Tuch is today, they both play a similar game. If Byfield could mature more physically, I could see him being a more productive, faster version of Tuch.

Reactions: CLW and bert

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
So back to Quinton Byfield......

After watching a lot of this Vegas - Vancouver series, anyone else see a stylistic comparison with Byfield and Tuch? While yes Byfield’s max potential is much higher than what Tuch is today, they both play a similar game. If Byfield could mature more physically, I could see him being a more productive, faster version of Tuch.
Tuch is a very individualistic player. Byfield has far superior vision and playmaking ability and will elevate his teammates in a way that Tuch doesn't.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Worst take of the year? Thats literally the only thing the organization is good at haha. The rest truly horrid, drafting and developing is about the only thing they are decent at. The NHL playoffs are literally filled with former Senators they have drafted and developed.

Reactions: Realgud and NyQuil

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
omg, I don't even know where to start with this, it's a mess.

IF there is one thing Ottawa is good with is drafting and forming players WHILE having a f***ing toxic management and older leadership they still can form and steal picks. Your take is ridiculous.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Rielly was drafted 8 years ago, and of course the Sens don't have a Matthews or a Marner because they haven't drafted that high other than Tkachuk. Pretty bad take.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Brutal take.

Scouting and development of prospects is the only thing the Sens organization is good at.

Awful, awful take.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sounds like the Kings' staff has a tough time finding a comparable for Byfield.
The case for the Kings selecting Quinton Byfield with the No. 2 draft pick

Nelson Emerson and Glen Murray were pondering that very question the other day (outdoors) when we met for coffee in Manhattan Beach. Emerson, the Kings’ director of player personnel, acknowledged the difficulty, as did Murray, their director of player development.

“We’ve been searching for that, and trying,” Emerson said. “It’s hard because you can’t find a 6-foot-4 center, who is going to be 6-5, that also has (almost) 100 points. It’s hard to find that match.”

Senators fans sweating bullets as they read that quote from an LA Kings staffer. But I'm sure some journo from Ottawa has better insight as to what they're thinking.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like the Kings' staff has a tough time finding a comparable for Byfield.
The case for the Kings selecting Quinton Byfield with the No. 2 draft pick

Senators fans sweating bullets as they read that quote from an LA Kings staffer. But I'm sure some journo from Ottawa has better insight as to what they're thinking.
I dont care who the Sens pick Stutzle or Byfield, both are going to be studs, anyone claiming they know who will be better right now is full of it. Ive heard the Sens have Stutzle ahead of Byfield anyway. Its win win, just happy they got a top 3 pick.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That's funny because we also saw that interview with Marco Sturm who works for LA and obviously prefers Stutzle.

I'm not really worried at all. It's the Kings staff that are sweating bullets because they have a choice and history will be the judge.

We will take whoever you don't.

Simple and stress free.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's funny because we also saw that interview with Marco Sturm who works for LA and obviously prefers Stutzle.

I'm not really worried at all.

It's the Kings staff that are sweating bullets because they have a choice and history will be the judge.

We will take whoever you don't.

Simple and stress free.

Where did Marco Sturm say he prefers Stutzle? He doesn't indicate his preference in this article discussing Stutzle.
Kings assistant Marco Sturm has the inside scoop on top prospect Tim Stutzle

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

He basically says that there are a lot of good players available but as a German he would like to see Stutzle in LA.

He's an assistant coach, how many assistant coaches make that call? Additionally, he's giving an interview to German media about a fellow country mate, is he going to say anything otherwise? In the same interview he also says that Leon Draisaitl is the best player in the world.

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad