Prospect Info: C Noah Ostlund, 16th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft, Assigned to Rochester 4.17.24

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Expected the Sabres to get him but not over Kemell. They must have really liked him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ranking list by EP:

Ranked #19 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #27 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #24 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #22 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #22 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #30 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #18 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #19 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #18 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #12 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #17 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #22 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #10 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #21 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Funny to read a bunch of people who are long-time draft followers singing his praises on the Prospect Thread about him and yet here we are with people so angry they can't type calling this already a bust.

Yeah.

We're back to hot-take nation here.
In all honesty I don't hate the pick.From what I read his playmaking is insane which bodes well for our shooters.The only complaint I have and it's not actually a complaint is if we have to wait 3 years which is fair and reasonable why not go for Miro or Yurov? Hopefully he gets stronger and we have an elite player on our hands

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In all honesty I don't hate the pick.From what I read his playmaking is insane which bodes well for our shooters.The only complaint I have and it's not actually a complaint is if we have to wait 3 years which is fair and reasonable why not go for Miro or Yurov? Hopefully he gets stronger and we have an elite player on our hands
Russian factor? Man, even I'm Russian not sure about the choice of Russians at this time, maybe Adams doesn't want to take that risk.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No I get it but if we sre waiting 3 years anyway iam taking one of them for sure
Three years? I don’t know what will happen in a month, and what will happen in three years is scary to think of. I mean, who knows where these players will be in three years and what my country will be like. Washington picks the Russians smartly, there are a lot of Russians and most importantly Ovi, so Miro will be fine, but Buffalo doesn't have Ovi.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
It is one thing to be negative or pessimistic, it is another to post just absolute junk. Very little of what you posted tonight is based on reality, weird that's how you want to spend your time...
That's a bit harsh for someone with just a different opinion than yours..

All three of these guys are swing for the fences centers, If one hits that's fine I guess..

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
1657250580556.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
A few tidbits about Ostlund

Was rated 22 overall by McKenzie's scout rankings

Was McKenzie's highest riser from 59 to 22

Outplayed the favored Americans in the U18's

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Got a great feeling about this pick. Skill, compete, responsible. Looks 15 so he definitely has a ton of development left. Love it

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
No I get it but if we sre waiting 3 years anyway iam taking one of them for sure

I don't disagree and I hate the 3 years thing because the timeline for this team's future just seems to be 3 years after every single freaking draft which is...incredibly frustrating.

But I think Ostlund will be a good pick and whenever he gets into the league, after our umpteenth mini-demolition because some of our guys aged out of the 45th rebuild, he's going to be solid. The IQ is always important and the fact that he is competitive and plays up to his competition is a positive as well.

I see some 50-60 point seasons coming from this guy (I just wish it wasn't going to be in 2026)

don22

Jan 29, 2021
is 165 pounds accurate? How is his frame? Can he actually add weight to it

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dont like that They Waste their pick like this . Sabres have never develop really good Swedes ? Nylander rosen Larsson from trade lehner seems like a bad pick but hope it proves me wrong would rather just had Kemell
They literally developed a 7th round Swede people thought was 5’7 when he was drafted into a 20 goal scorer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
is 165 pounds accurate? How is his frame? Can he actually add weight to it

5'10", 164 lbs were his combine measurements.

Some other combine results I found for him:

Tied with Kasper and Lutz for third in VO2 Max (Aerobic fitness): 60.0
10th in anaerobic fatigue index: 43.1
Lowest body fat %: 6.82
15th in Force Plate, Squat Jump at 15.08"

No idea what any of it means, though he's a lean cuss based on his body fat %.

Reactions: TheBarnIsElectric

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Really like this pick. DIF getting relegated is ideal for his development playing in Swedish 2nd tier next year. Adding strength is key requires the right attitude to nutrition and work outs and from his on ice game I don't doubt he's got the work ethic and mindset to do this successfully

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
2 more years in Sweden, 2 years in Rochester. Not an issue. Develop him correctly. We will be glad to have ELCs on the roster in 2026-2029.

Reactions: Reddawg

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
I really don't get the hate. It seems he was the best option for a 2-way center left.

Considering everyone thinks Savoie will move to the wing as a pro, you really wanted them to draft Kemell? That would be 3 small scoring wingers out of 2 years/5 1st round picks.

Reactions: elchud

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
5'10", 164 lbs were his combine measurements.

Some other combine results I found for him:

Tied with Kasper and Lutz for third in VO2 Max (Aerobic fitness): 60.0
10th in anaerobic fatigue index: 43.1
Lowest body fat %: 6.82
15th in Force Plate, Squat Jump at 15.08"

No idea what any of it means, though he's a lean cuss based on his body fat %.
In the short term, that body fat percentage is actually a bad sign. With that little fat he'll be burning muscle in his workouts, so hitting the gym will be mostly just treading water in terms if muscle mass.

(In the long term, it's probably a good sign he has the discipline to get that lean.)

Get the boy some Weightgain 4000.
(Beefcake!!) 😂

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I really don't get the hate. It seems he was the best option for a 2-way center left.

Considering everyone thinks Savoie will move to the wing as a pro, you really wanted them to draft Kemell? That would be 3 small scoring wingers out of 2 years/5 1st round picks.

I think we reached a bit with the pick. I think. Trade down to 20 with Washington, maybe they give up a 3rd to be able to grab Kemell.

But maybe Minnesota takes Ostlund at 19.

Sabres probably never considered Kemell as a draftable option, they wanted centers or center/wing hybrids. I am curious where he as on their BPA.

KA exactly said in his post-draft that when players are close in value...which means they have some sort of tier, or range, concept in place, and within those confines positional need trumps BPA. That range probably is pretty tight.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm one of those visiting fans that have been watching Ostlund for months and thinks you got a steal. The Sabres have no problem coming up with middle sixers lately so why not take a swing on a guy with #1C upside. I see Sebastian Aho potential and had him #8 on my list.

Not writing him off but if high ceiling was the strategy Lambert, Yurov, Miro are guys I'd put ahead in that category.

I think that's a common misconception. Lambert doesn't have the vision or game sense, players like that are not high upside. A player with elite IQ who needs to work on strength or tools would be high upside, that's Ostlund not Lambert. Yurov looks more well rounded with nothing elite showing in the KHL. You'll get differing opinions on Miroshnichenko but I never thought he was a superstar in the making.

Beyond that I don't know how folks can watch this full video and not see crazy high potential:

Perhaps Sabres scouts would have preferred one of them in the absence of the Russian factor, I don't know, but some of us think Ostlund has higher upside than both of them.

MartinBe

Dec 1, 2021
Really like this pick. DIF getting relegated is ideal for his development playing in Swedish 2nd tier next year. Adding strength is key requires the right attitude to nutrition and work outs and from his on ice game I don't doubt he's got the work ethic and mindset to do this successfully
Totally agree, plus DIF got some good and highly experienced leaders back in the squad such as Marcus Kruger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad