Prospect Info: C Nathan Smith (2018 3rd, 91st overall)

Do you like this pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really hope this guy doesn't decide to take the UFA route.

-He's not even eligible for that for another year and a half.
-He's already 23 years old. How long do you think he wants to wait to start his career?
-The drafting teams have quite a few advantages to offer, starting with being the only team that can sign him this year.

Reactions: Sweech

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
-He's already 23 years old. How long do you think he wants to wait to start his career?
-The drafting teams have quite a few advantages to offer, starting with being the only team that can sign him this year.
Yes I suspect he wants to turn pro right away. He's NHL ready in my opinion.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I imagine he signs as soon as his season and Olympics are done. He gets a year burned for this year and we have him for a couple of years at a cost controlled contract but it gets him closer to UFA.

I assume he gets a max ELC contract so he gets his bonus money and I think it likely he plays on the Jets next year

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I'm not saying it will happen but in his shoes I'd consider it if I only had one more year left.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I imagine he signs as soon as his season and Olympics are done. He gets a year burned for this year and we have him for a couple of years at a cost controlled contract but it gets him closer to UFA.

I assume he gets a max ELC contract so he gets his bonus money and I think it likely he plays on the Jets next year

Yup, the way Chevy is talking it sounds like he will be here at some point this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, the way Chevy is talking it sounds like he will be here at some point this year.
Agreed. The fear of NCAA players not signing and going to UFA status gets way over played, and seems to get played with everyone of our college players. Way too many advantages for the drafting team. Also I'm guessing the Jets have a pretty good reputation with prospects and agents for developing their players well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed. The fear of NCAA players not signing and going to UFA status gets way over played, and seems to get played with everyone of our college players. Way too many advantages for the drafting team. Also I'm guessing the Jets have a pretty good reputation with prospects and agents for developing their players well.
I think the NCAA UFA thing is a real cause for concern, but not for the Jets. We seem to either really do our research and find guys who will want come here and/or have a good reputation (like you say) that makes players want to come here.

I think the NCAA thing is only a threat for tire-fire organizations and for guys like Fox who never were gonna go anywhere but New York. We’ve been smart and avoided folks of his ilk.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think the NCAA UFA thing is a real cause for concern, but not for the Jets. We seem to either really do our research and find guys who will want come here and/or have a good reputation (like you say) that makes players want to come here.

I think the NCAA thing is only a threat for tire-fire organizations and for guys like Fox who never were gonna go anywhere but New York. We’ve been smart and avoided folks of his ilk.

Agree. IIRC the org went that way with Copp, who joined after his season was done, burned a year of his ELC and pocketed his bonus. Shows confidence in the prospect and helps get him acclimated to the team environment and systems, etc.

Fortunately, we rarely have to do this in February.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agree. IIRC the org went that way with Copp, who joined after his season was done, burned a year of his ELC and pocketed his bonus. Shows confidence in the prospect and helps get him acclimated to the team environment and systems, etc.

Fortunately, we rarely have to do this in February.
Yup, Copp came in during 2014-15 and played the last regular season game and watched the playoffs from the press box.

Only trouble there was it made him eligible for the expansion draft (Vegas) I believe, which was annoying.

Reactions: JetsUK

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, Copp came in during 2014-15 and played the last regular season game and watched the playoffs from the press box.

Only trouble there was it made him eligible for the expansion draft (Vegas) I believe, which was annoying.
But that's your advantage you have as the drafting team. If you give up your signing advantages, then you may give up the player before he even plays a game for you.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
But that's your advantage you have as the drafting team. If you give up your signing advantages, then you may give up the player before he even plays a game for you.
Oh no I agree. The trade off is usually well worth it (for the team and the player).

The expansion draft was just an unforeseen (and unfortunate) anomaly at the time. Shouldn’t be an issue with Smith, unless maybe Bettman gets really desperate for Houston.

Reactions: KingBogo

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Smith reminds me of Reichel. His impact with the Jets might be limited. He’s 23, not 19.
Yeah I think we’ll have a very good idea about what kind of NHL player he’s going to be once he plays a handful of games. Personally I think him developing into someone like Mason Appleton would considered a success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad