C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lmao @ this post.

You could make an argument for Nylander and Matthews being better but who else? He's clearly the best player in junior.

Why the absolutes?. Absolutely he is one of the top 5 or so. It is not clear he is the best. I think an argument could be made for both his linemates, Tkachuk and Dvorak, being as good. Also Strome, Brayden Point, Ivan Provorov, and probably a few others (not real up on the Q prospects).

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I think Strome is currently the best Jr. player.
He plays the central position and will likely be the number 1C for Canada at the World Jrs.

Him and Marner will battle at the top of the leaderboard all year again. One is the 1C, Captain and leader - the other is a more of the 'elite' complimentary on a stacked team.

Getzlaf vs P.Kane. Both mean a helluva lot, one means a little bit more. (I am not comparing playing style, just their role)

Well I dunno about that. Marner has been a C/W this season, has a C on his jersey, which must go hand in hand with having some kind of leadership skills. That's a hell of a way to downplay Marners role on the team.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think Strome is currently the best Jr. player.
He plays the central position and will likely be the number 1C for Canada at the World Jrs.

Him and Marner will battle at the top of the leaderboard all year again. One is the 1C, Captain and leader - the other is a more of the 'elite' complimentary on a stacked team.

Getzlaf vs P.Kane. Both mean a helluva lot, one means a little bit more. (I am not comparing playing style, just their role)

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Strome a complimentary piece. ;)

Shwaguy*

They are both leaders. And Marner has a better 2way game than Strome so Getzlaf vs Kane is disingenuous, And while Strome is big he is soft unlike Getzlaf. We could only hope either of them become the calibre of player either of those two players with their elite offensive ceilings.

But in terms of Playstyle it's more like Getzlaf vs Datsyuk. Again you can only pray that Marner can ever becme as good as Datsyuk (Although he will have the right coach to do it and I have a feeling Babs sees him as his next Datsyuk). But he plays an extremely similar game to Datsyuk. An underlooked part of Marner's game is his two-way game and he is absolutely elite at forcing turnovers and creating instant offence like Datsyuk is.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Lmao @ this post.

You could make an argument for Nylander and Matthews being better but who else? He's clearly the best player in junior.

According to some scouts via a recent broadcast, he's not even the best player on his team.

Shwaguy*

According to some scouts via a recent broadcast, he's not even the best player on his team.

That's a load of bologna and anyone saying that is just being a contrarian for contrarian's sake.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Don't care too much about this whole "best player in the OHL/not in the NHL" stuff, but by "some scouts" you mean the Coyote scouts right? I read the Arizona commentators sat down with the team's scouts and they said Dvorak was the best player in the OHL

one77

Dec 22, 2013
LMAO at the guy saying Marner is an elite 'complimentary' piece and Strome a 1C, captain and leader. Not to bring down Strome or anything, but Marner is a C, he is a leader, and he is less of a 'complimentary' piece than Strome is. Both these guys are good, but please stop saying it's Getzlaf vs Kane. Marner is more of a Datsyuk/Gilmour/Giroux hybrid. Nothing like Kane, except that he is elite when he plays wing too...

But for the 23488284th time, Marner is a C. Quit trying to portray him as a 150lb winger.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Don't care too much about this whole "best player in the OHL/not in the NHL" stuff, but by "some scouts" you mean the Coyote scouts right? I read the Arizona commentators sat down with the team's scouts and they said Dvorak was the best player in the OHL

What the Dvorak who posted a whopping 14 points in 33 games in his draft year? Funny how when he starts playing with truly elite prospects like Marner and Domi, he suddenly explodes for 109 points on the year.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Home announcers pumping up a local prospect. No one seriously believes Dvorak is better. Marner and Strome are clearly the best 2 players in the OHL, if you want to say Dvorak is better than Marner, I can easily make the Debrinecat is better than Strome one.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't Marner voted the best player in the O by the coaches?

Also, LOL at him not even being the best player on his team.

In a poll of OHL coaches and executives, he was voted best OVERALL player in the OHL, most likely to win the OHL scoring title, best forward in the OHL, Top playmaker in the OHL, and best hands in the OHL.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Lol at people watching stats and commenting like pros, specially those old States people. If you want to know how much Marner means for the whole team's offense, go ask Tkachuk, Dvorak and anyone who plays with him. Marner is a special special kid and same can be said about Strome too, he is also a good player.

But Strome never had been the 200ft player Marner has always been (from his midget years). Strome has never had elite skating, let alone at Marner's level. One of the top assets Strome has is his height, and I watch enough junior hockey to say that he uses that size good enough protecting the puck and in the corners but he is not physical like Getzlaf and the case can be made as someone like Thornton.

Strome has really good shot and his wrister is absolute elite for NHL level right now. Marner has great wrist shot but he has so much creativity with his puck handling, dekes, dangles and shiftiness that Strome can't even match. Offensively speaking Marner is much more gifted than any player playing in junior right now and defensively he is absolute best for any junior forward playing right now. If only he had height like Strome or Matthews or Eichel, he would have been playing his whole OHL career as a center and would have given a tough fight to Eichel.

But Marner was very short and his skinny frame didn't help him play as a center right off the bat, but he is no Kane, he was 5'11.5 in combines and has genetic growth from his family and might end up as high as 6'1. I would just say one thing that if you really want to appreciate a player's game and how he plays hockey, gives 100% from start to the end on both sides of the ice and really enjoy yelling OMG, wow and holly ****, watch Marner in the world juniors, because every time he is on the ice he is gonna amaze you with something and I bet my money he will not disappoint you and will be the best player on the team. I have only enjoyed watching McDavid more than Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad