C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

This guy on the bus absolutely reeks of BO.

Oh ya, Marner, good player, I'm excited!

snizzbone*

Sundinisagod said:
It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll make the NHL the next year. He'll be too good for junior, but maybe not physically mature enough for the big show, and with Babcock as coach the tendency has been to give prospects extra time to develop.

The thing is he will be WAY too good for junior. He will be in the NHL in 2016-2017. I expect him to be in the top six, but if not, he could be in a situation similar to Jonathan Drouin, or even Morgan Rielly in his rookie year. Playing very sheltered minutes and learning the pro game.

Marner put up 120 points in the OHL as a 17 year old 160lbs player. If he's playing in the OHL for his 19 year old season, you'd expect him to be 180lbs by then. He would be completely dominant and way too good for the league.

I think its silly to think Marner would be back in the OHL for his +2 draft season. It doesn't happen often where top 5 picks stay 2 years in juniors after being drafted.

Since 2006, here is every forward picked top 7 in their draft who played 2 seasons of junior after being drafted. I used top 7 as some leeway due to how different each draft calibre is:

JVR - 2 years of NCAA
Huberdeau - 2 years of QMJHL (lockout year, joined Florida when lockout ended, so basically just 1 year of QMJHL).
Ryan Strome - 2 years of OHL (lockout year as well, but he played most of season in OHL)
And then you have the 2014 draft, which is too early to tell. Reinhart + Draisaitl have late birthdays so they are AHL eligible this year. Dal Colle could go back to juniors. Virtanen is apparently going to make the Canucks (although he prob shouldn't).

So that gives us
Ryan Strome
Michael Dal Colle (could be in NHL this year, so only 1 extra year of junior)
Jake Virtanen (could be in NHL this year, so only 1 extra year of junior)

as the only forwards picked in the top 7 since 2006 to play 2 seasons of junior after being drafted.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The thing is he will be WAY too good for junior. He will be in the NHL in 2016-2017. I expect him to be in the top six, but if not, he could be in a situation similar to Jonathan Drouin, or even Morgan Rielly in his rookie year. Playing very sheltered minutes and learning the pro game.

Marner put up 120 points in the OHL as a 17 year old 160lbs player. If he's playing in the OHL for his 19 year old season, you'd expect him to be 180lbs by then. He would be completely dominant and way too good for the league.

I think its silly to think Marner would be back in the OHL for his +2 draft season. It doesn't happen often where top 5 picks stay 2 years in juniors after being drafted.

Since 2006, here is every forward picked top 7 in their draft who played 2 seasons of junior after being drafted. I used top 7 as some leeway due to how different each draft calibre is:

JVR - 2 years of NCAA
Huberdeau - 2 years of QMJHL (lockout year, joined Florida when lockout ended, so basically just 1 year of QMJHL).
Ryan Strome - 2 years of OHL (lockout year as well, but he played most of season in OHL)
And then you have the 2014 draft, which is too early to tell. Reinhart + Draisaitl have late birthdays so they are AHL eligible this year. Dal Colle could go back to juniors. Virtanen is apparently going to make the Canucks (although he prob shouldn't).

So that gives us
Ryan Strome
Michael Dal Colle (could be in NHL this year, so only 1 extra year of junior)
Jake Virtanen (could be in NHL this year, so only 1 extra year of junior)

as the only forwards picked in the top 7 since 2006 to play 2 seasons of junior after being drafted.

You're basically banking on him to gain 20lbs in just over a year. I don't know how Nylander did it, but most don't gain like that, that's why I said he might not be physically mature enough...what if he gains only 5 lbs in that time frame? Do you see him making the NHL as a 165lb 19 year old?

I wonder how many of those top 7 picks that did make the NHL within 2 years, were 160 pounders? Probably too small of a sample size, because not a lot of guys that small go that high...unless you're really special, which Marner is.

Then there is the Babcock factor, which I think you're underestimating in this equation (no offense intended), he is notorious for letting prospects develop extra long...granted he probably hasn't had a lot of top 5 picks to develop either.

Personally, I'm not even saying that he will or won't make the club in his +2 draft year, I'm just saying it could really go either way.

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
Going to be exciting watching him light it up in the world juniors. Excited to see the reaction of Maple Leaf haters when he dances around a couple defenceman and see why he is the "magician".

snizzbone*

You're basically banking on him to gain 20lbs in just over a year. I don't know how Nylander did it, but most don't gain like that, that's why I said he might not be physically mature enough...what if he gains only 5 lbs in that time frame? Do you see him making the NHL as a 165lb 19 year old?

I wonder how many of those top 7 picks that did make the NHL within 2 years, were 160 pounders? Probably too small of a sample size, because not a lot of guys that small go that high...unless you're really special, which Marner is.

Then there is the Babcock factor, which I think you're underestimating in this equation (no offense intended), he is notorious for letting prospects develop extra long...granted he probably hasn't had a lot of top 5 picks to develop either.

Personally, I'm not even saying that he will or won't make the club in his +2 draft year, I'm just saying it could really go either way.

Patrick Kane was 160lbs in his rookie year. Off the top of my head.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

I don't know that he'll necessarily gain 20 pounds, but he is definitely going to get stronger. A big emphasis during Leafs prospect camp this past season was on teaching guys to care of your body like a pro, off-ice devotion, and Mitch Marner isn't stupid, he knows size and strength are his biggest obstacles in achieving his boyhood dream. He also knows that the organization will have close eyes on him in London (closer than most teams with their high draft picks thanks to the Hunter connection), you best believe the kid is going to be working his ass off off the ice.

He's already stupid good at the CHL level, if he is better next year than he'll definitely be too good for junior the year after that. I think Nylander and Marner are going to debut together in 2016-17.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't know that he'll necessarily gain 20 pounds, but he is definitely going to get stronger. A big emphasis during Leafs prospect camp this past season was on teaching guys to care of your body like a pro, off-ice devotion, and Mitch Marner isn't stupid, he knows size and strength are his biggest obstacles in achieving his boyhood dream. He also knows that the organization will have close eyes on him in London (closer than most teams with their high draft picks thanks to the Hunter connection), you best believe the kid is going to be working his ass off off the ice.

He's already stupid good at the CHL level, if he is better next year than he'll definitely be too good for junior the year after that. I think Nylander and Marner are going to debut together in 2016-17.
Yeah, I find it hard to see him doing more than one more year in the OHL. Giving him a year at center and a chance to get stronger makes a lot of sense for this season. That's good and fine, but I think it'd be a lot harder to really send him down after that point.

Would just get excessive after that point considering the talent level. I do think the odds are pretty good for both those guys to debut in the 16/17 season and make quite the impact when they do.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wow we are still talking about weight and height? :laugh:

He is never going to be 6'2 210 pounds, celebrate Marner for what he is. In face, I am not even sure adding weight would benefit Marner.

Would love to see Marner play center full time in the OHL this year before making the jump to the big club next year.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Marner should get 9 games and then send him back to London, giroux is only 12 pounds bigger, and kane is only 181 pounds so its not reasonable to assume he would need to be anywhere from 171 to 180 to thrive. Also I doubt Cap space will be a problem but if marner is sent down to juniors twice his entry level contract will expire around the same time Phaneuf and Horton's contract comes off the books.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
If Marner impresses in training camp and does admirably during his 9 game tryout, would TML keep him up all year, or is he bound for Juniors no matter what?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If Marner impresses in training camp and does admirably during his 9 game tryout, would TML keep him up all year, or is he bound for Juniors no matter what?
I can't really see any scenario where he makes the team out of camp. I think the Leafs like the option of sending him back to London for a year too much. Get so many benefits with them having good ties to that team so they can get him developing as a center for the whole year, lets him get stronger, and lets them continue the focus of not rushing things.

snizzbone*

Patrik Kane was not expected to be a 1C like Marner is supposed to be.

I don't expect Marner to jump into the NHL in 2016-2017 and play center, thats the thing. Lots of top centers in the league didn't do that.

Seguin played RW for a couple seasons before center.
MacKinnon played RW rookie year.
Giroux played RW for a few years.

Year of center in the OHL
And then joins the Leafs playing forward, doesn't matter which position. And then he moves to center as he gets more comfortable playing in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wow we are still talking about weight and height? :laugh:

He is never going to be 6'2 210 pounds, celebrate Marner for what he is. In face, I am not even sure adding weight would benefit Marner.

Would love to see Marner play center full time in the OHL this year before making the jump to the big club next year.

Yea, his size should really not even be a discussion point. Again, if Johnny Gaudreau can do what he's done at his size, I have zero concerns over Marner's size.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Yea, his size should really not even be a discussion point. Again, if Johnny Gaudreau can do what he's done at his size, I have zero concerns over Marner's size.

Yup. I think there might be a slight adjustment period as he learns what he can and can't do against a league of bigger players (aka rely on his elusiveness more than he needs to in junior) but after that, as you said, size isn't that big of an issue in today's NHL

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Marner has been dominating against bigger and older competition his whole life, the NHL is no different. He is a special talent. I dont get why everyone is obsessing over size when the league is trending more towards small skilled/high IQ players every year. Gaudreau is 5'7 and like 155lbs and nobody can touch him. Marner is close to 6ft and plays a similar shifty style. Give it a rest already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad