C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Marner is one of my favorite prospects, but plays like that will never work against NHL players.

What's important, however, is that he's a smart enough kid to adapt his game when he finds out that something won't work anymore. And I'm sure he's also smart enough to figure out what that new thing will be

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Since he's playing in the OHL, it makes sense to play in a manner that is effective in the OHL. Does anyone feel differently?

Yeah I agree, when people say stuff like "that wouldn't work in the NHL" it's pretty nit picky. The point is, players capable of doing such things in lower leagues have a higher chance of adapting offensively in the NHL.

If you were a high school student who breezed your way through with a 4.0 GPA, you're more likely to succeed in university than someone who had responsible study habits but a 3.5 GPA. The reason being is most students will adapt their habits at a higher level, and when they do, the individuals with a higher intellectual capacity usually prevail. The same principle applies here in my opinion.

member 157595

So all the famous posts by leafs fans are true.

You actually think playing meaningless ahl Hockey would gain him more experience then playing at an international tournament watched by millions? The pace at the world juniors is more highly contested and paced then most NHL games will hinder his development?

Weird.

I can play that game, too.

Nylander is playing huge minutes in all situations in a men's league. The AHL is one of the best hockey leagues in the world and has been developing players for the NHL for decades. In fact, he may be one of the best players in that league. Why on earth would Toronto want to send one of their highly touted employees to some kiddie tournament that 1) is out of their control, and 2) he's already attended in the past?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
As a center you need to support the play in the corners, at 160 hes just to slight.

LOL. Is that the rule?

Wayne Gretzky RETIRED at 38 years old, at 6' and 185lbs. When he entered the league as an 18 year old, he was pretty much exactly Marner's height & weight. It didn't slow Wayne down too much.

Marner will fill out, and add the same inch or two in height, and 15-20lbs in weight that everyone else does. He'll be fine.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
What's important, however, is that he's a smart enough kid to adapt his game when he finds out that something won't work anymore. And I'm sure he's also smart enough to figure out what that new thing will be

Yup, if he wasn't a very smart player it would be a concern but he'll adapt to the NHL and still be very effective.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
LOL. Is that the rule?

Wayne Gretzky RETIRED at 38 years old, at 6' and 185lbs. When he entered the league as an 18 year old, he was pretty much exactly Marner's height & weight. It didn't slow Wayne down too much.

Marner will fill out, and add the same inch or two in height, and 15-20lbs in weight that everyone else does. He'll be fine.

I know this wasn't the intention, but let's not bring Wayne into this :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, 1 goal and 2 assists so far, he's going to put up crazy numbers if they keep this line together all year.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
The quotes of easily knocked off the puck tell me you NEVER watch a game. Please provide some video to back up the claim because its actually one of his strengths in winning puck battles and using his edges as leverage against bigger players.

That's what I thought too.
Sounds like someone's opinion got swayed by the people harping on his size all summer (who probably never watched Marner play) and just threw a vague statement out there just for the sake of saying something negative.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
14 points in his last 4 games. 3.5 PPG
28 points in his last 11 games. 2.54 PPG
35 points in all 17 games. 2.06 PPG

So has been heating up as the season goes.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
It matters at the NHL level.

Not really. Or at least not as much as people pretend it does.

Marner is already the same size as Claude Giroux at 18. His size is no issue.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Not really. Or at least not as much as people pretend it does.

Marner is already the same size as Claude Giroux at 18. His size is no issue.

Claude Giroux would be a better player if he was 6'2".

Being 5'11" isn't going to stop Marner from being a great player, but his size is a drawback.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still very early and he seems to be a slow starter. Pretty sure he'll rotate from C to wing a lot (think Zetterberg). The 1st line (and the PP unit where Marner plays the QB role) are going crazy, I assume they'll keep that togeather til they enter a mini slump. Plus Nylander is excelling as a C in the AHL right now. I'd love Matthews, but he appears to be the only franchise center, the fins and Tkachuk are wingers and Chychrun is a D, I don't think they'll reach for Brown if they are top 5 over those 3. And who knows we have caproom and two first line centers are hitting the market, we will obviously make a play for the best available.

Thanks for the rundown.

Nylander looks like a franchise centre though.

I honestly have not seen much of him. If he ends up that caliber of player the Leafs rebuild could be a swift one.

Agree

He should tie up his linemates and play 1 on 5

:laugh:

they all have similar numbers its not like one is running away with points, Tkachuk has two more games played then Dvorak and Marner as well

I get that, I just find it odd since last season he had by far the best PPG on his team even over Domi who is doing quite well at the NHL level this season. This is nothing against him because I already know that he is ultra skilled, it just seems a little odd is all.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looks like you're a Coyotes fan. Go tell Max Domi that it matters :laugh:

Domi is 200lbs. He has a frame Marner will never have. Size is more than one dimension. Players like Giroux are the exception. Larger centers just translate better. I don't know why fans get so defensive about this. Marner will be a great player, just not a center.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Domi is 200lbs. He has a frame Marner will never have. Size is more than one dimension. Players like Giroux are the exception. Larger centers just translate better. I don't know why fans get so defensive about this. Marner will be a great player, just not a center.

Clearly you know better than the man that drafted this kid in two different leagues and watched his career more closely than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad