C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

2013 Seth Jones, 2010 Ryan Johansen, 2008 Alex Pietrangelo, 2006 Nick Backstrom. Yeah I'm not expecting a franchise player. Smh

AND he easily could have been the third overall pick. All i've heard is that this could be the deepest draft since 2003 and the Leafs believe they got the third best player from it.

Sam Bennett is another 4th overall who you see people saying could end up a Franchise calibre guy and no one bats an eye except those with a bias in the Bennett/Marner/Reinhart debate. I think most people including non Leaf fans acknowledge that Marner has that same franchise potential though.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
2013 Seth Jones, 2010 Ryan Johansen, 2008 Alex Pietrangelo, 2006 Nick Backstrom. Yeah I'm not expecting a franchise player. Smh

AND he easily could have been the third overall pick. All i've heard is that this could be the deepest draft since 2003 and the Leafs believe they got the third best player from it.
You went back 9 years and named 4 players.. that doesn't exactly help your case. It would be one thing if you showed say 70%, but pulling out 44%, (50 if you remove Bennett from the equation) then acting like you're stupid if you don't think the 50/50 will go in your direction.. not really getting across what you're trying to.

That being said, I do think Marner becomes a franchise guy (more from having watched him play many times than looking at where he was drafted).

Shwaguy*

You went back 9 years and named 4 players.. that doesn't exactly help your case. It would be one thing if you showed say 70%, but pulling out 44%, (50 if you remove Bennett from the equation) then acting like you're stupid if you don't think the 50/50 will go in your direction.. not really getting across what you're trying to.

That being said, I do think Marner becomes a franchise guy (more from having watched him play many times than looking at where he was drafted).

Yeah exactly I'm not looking at Draft Position but rather the actual PLAYER.

Him and Seth Jones are pretty much dead even for the best player taken at 4th overall (At the time of the draft that is, obviously those other guys developed into stars, and nothing is guaranteed for Jones and Especially Marner's development. But in terms of their potential and level at Draft time, it's Marner and Jones).

And most everyone has thought that Jones will probably end up a Franchise calibre player since he was drafted. I, and many others, feel the same for Marner.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You went back 9 years and named 4 players.. that doesn't exactly help your case

Fourth overall 2006-2015

Marner, Bennett, Jones, Reinhart, Larsson, Johansen, Kane, Pietrangelo, Hickey, Backstrom.

Saying its unlikely to find a franchise player at 4 is ridiculous. 6/10 of the last picks are either established franchise players (Ryjo, Pietra, Backstrom) or potentially franchise players. (Marner, Bennett, Jones) Kane has been a good not great player who's injuries has held him back, and Reinhart/Larsson are both slow developing and could each blossom into strong top 4 defensemen.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
But most of those guys weren't in a draft like this. So 50 percent became franchise in weaker drafts. The fact we had the likely best top 2 since '04 speaks volumes. Regardless, only time will tell.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
That is so pointless to look at the history of picks. Nylander was drafted at 8 where not many great players have been picked before, but we all know he hes going to have an impressive career.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
Fourth overall 2006-2015

Marner, Bennett, Jones, Reinhart, Larsson, Johansen, Kane, Pietrangelo, Hickey, Backstrom.

Saying its unlikely to find a franchise player at 4 is ridiculous. 6/10 of the last picks are either established franchise players (Ryjo, Pietra, Backstrom) or potentially franchise players. (Marner, Bennett, Jones) Kane has been a good not great player who's injuries has held him back, and Reinhart/Larsson are both slow developing and could each blossom into strong top 4 defensemen.
Where did I use the word unlikely? Generally when the word expected is used, it contains some certainty.
Lets break down "expect", and "don't expect". The terms are clearly not at a 51/49 split, lets say you expect something when it has 70% certainty and then don't expect something when it has under 40% certainty (we could use 70/30. 60/40, doesn't matter)

You use Marner and Bennett to bolster your point, but these two are young and haven't really done anything yet so should be omitted. So from the previous 8 drafts you'd say 3 franchise players out of 8 contains enough certainty to EXPECT a franchise player with a 4th overall pick? You think that with sub 40% in the stretch that you provided, that you should expect a player to be a franchise player by draft position?
Then you say that I'm saying it's unlikely that Marner becomes a franchise player when I used the words
I do think that Marner becomes a franchise guy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That is so pointless to look at the history of picks. Nylander was drafted at 8 where not many great players have been picked before, but we all know he hes going to have an impressive career.

I'm a big Nylander fan, but don't jynx him lol.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Let's get on the real issue on hand.

What's will his nickname be?

Mitchell "Mitch" "Insert something that starts with M" Marner.

Shwaguy*

Let's get on the real issue on hand.

What's will his nickname be?

Mitchell "Mitch" "Insert something that starts with M" Marner.

I still think Magician is good. Really fits his playstyle. Or Magic Man.

I like the Miracle one as well.

Shwaguy*

https://youtu.be/SZgLkLItV4s?t=56s

It's plays like this one that get me really excited about Marner. He does it all the time. Just so adept at forcing the turnover and making it into a scoring chance into a flash, it's honestly Datsyukian how good he is at it, now if only he can find a way to play Selke level defence...

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I still think Magician is good. Really fits his playstyle. Or Magic Man.

I like the Miracle one as well.

I remember another touted player draft by a Toronto sports franchise that had the nickname of the magician. He was Andrea Barfnani...wonder who he's playing for now.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
The most overrated prospect on HFboards, bar none. The hype machine is out of control with this guy. It honestly seems like Marner has more hype than Connor McDavid based on the things I've read since he was drafted.

Expectations need to be toned down dramatically. Expecting Giroux/Kane hybrid is nuts for a 4th overall pick. Let's hope he becomes a top-6 forward, and work from there considering the best 4th overall pick in the last 10 years is Nicklas Backstrom.

:shakehead

We get it, you wanted Hanifin. It's time to get over it, I swear all you do is rip Marner on the Leafs board and now you're here.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The most overrated prospect on HFboards, bar none. The hype machine is out of control with this guy. It honestly seems like Marner has more hype than Connor McDavid based on the things I've read since he was drafted.

Expectations need to be toned down dramatically. Expecting Giroux/Kane hybrid is nuts for a 4th overall pick. Let's hope he becomes a top-6 forward, and work from there considering the best 4th overall pick in the last 10 years is Nicklas Backstrom.

He put up better junior numbers then Giroux, and put up a tad less then Kane in his draft season.

Kessel was picked 5th and is pretty much the same caliber player as Kane, and if you look around the 2/3-5 draft pick range (because looking at just the 4th pick is stupid, you have to look at the talent range of the pick), many elite players have come out of this grouping. I don't think there is anything ridiculous about expecting that caliber player considering the depth of the draft, and where he was picked.

Plus, your name kinda gives away your distaste for the pick.

Last edited:

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Question your knowledge of hockey if you prefer Hanifin over Marner. You can find top tier D men later in the draft. You dont pass on a highly technically adept forward like Marner like that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm a very big marner fan. He size is not concerning at all, especially in the new nhl. Most top players are around his size. He has tremendous tools and would be a #1 or 2 pick in most years

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple ppg seasons in his prime (more if scoring picks up)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Question your knowledge of hockey if you prefer Hanifin over Marner. You can find top tier D men later in the draft. You dont pass on a highly technically adept forward like Marner like that.

Wow. So flawed, where to begin.....

Most had Hanifin rated ahead of Marner so that sweeping statement is just embarrassing. Add to that top tier forwards are also found later in the draft and you just look silly. Forward or Defensemen the higher rated players and thus usually higher drafted players have higher chances of success. It's just a matter of preference.

You might want to look up the word irony.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Where did I use the word unlikely? Generally when the word expected is used, it contains some certainty.
Lets break down "expect", and "don't expect". The terms are clearly not at a 51/49 split, lets say you expect something when it has 70% certainty and then don't expect something when it has under 40% certainty (we could use 70/30. 60/40, doesn't matter)

You use Marner and Bennett to bolster your point, but these two are young and haven't really done anything yet so should be omitted. So from the previous 8 drafts you'd say 3 franchise players out of 8 contains enough certainty to EXPECT a franchise player with a 4th overall pick? You think that with sub 40% in the stretch that you provided, that you should expect a player to be a franchise player by draft position?
Then you say that I'm saying it's unlikely that Marner becomes a franchise player when I used the words

You edited your post after i quoted you. But it's cool. As long as you believe in Marner like I do.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
https://youtu.be/SZgLkLItV4s?t=56s

It's plays like this one that get me really excited about Marner. He does it all the time. Just so adept at forcing the turnover and making it into a scoring chance into a flash, it's honestly Datsyukian how good he is at it, now if only he can find a way to play Selke level defence...

Indeed, his skating, tenacity and anticipation make him an absolutely fearsome forchecker.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I question whether he'll actually play centre at the next level. I also question whether BOTH nylander and marner will play centre. Not many guys their size play top centre (guys like G being the exception), not to mention two small centres.

All_blueandwhite

Apr 15, 2007
I question whether he'll actually play centre at the next level. I also question whether BOTH nylander and marner will play centre. Not many guys their size play top centre (guys like G being the exception), not to mention two small centres.

Detroit and Tampa seem to be doing fine with smallish centers

Shwaguy*

Marner has that G like talent.

And Nylander is 5'11 190. That's not a small centre.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, JVR, Brown, Kadri, Gauthier
Rielly, Gardiner, Harrington, Loov, Dermott, Percy
Bernier, Bibeau

Not bad. Add Chychrun to that list and we're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg