Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
1297654776979_ORIGINAL.jpg

Birth: 1997-05-05, Markham, ON, Canada
C | RHS | 5'11" 163 lbs

Part I: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1513281

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Curious if he sees NHL action next year. Clearly nothing to prove in the O.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the videos! Watched part of it, one think picked out though is that he actually fights for the pucks and chases it. Something I would like to see the Leafs player doing. Hoping Leafs secure 4th overall to get either Marner/Hanifin.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I would hope he spends a couple more years developing size and centering in the minors against men.

A team would need the building blocks to shelter and protect him in the NHL...and as an Oiler fan, I don't see that in any of the teams in the area to pick him.

His size 'won't' be an issue... but as of today it certainly is. Though, he'd be much better off in the East if he was going to play right away.

Looks outstanding, I just hope Oil don't pick another small, skilled guy. Do I wish we had him instead of the small, skilled guys we currently have? Yeah, but a big C or a potential #1D are way way higher on the priority list.

Nothing against Marner, he'll be a hellraiser like Kane, most likely.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I would hope he spends a couple more years developing size and centering in the minors against men.

A team would need the building blocks to shelter and protect him in the NHL...and as an Oiler fan, I don't see that in any of the teams in the area to pick him.

His size 'won't' be an issue... but as of today it certainly is. Though, he'd be much better off in the East if he was going to play right away.

Looks outstanding, I just hope Oil don't pick another small, skilled guy. Do I wish we had him instead of the small, skilled guys we currently have? Yeah, but a big C or a potential #1D are way way higher on the priority list.

As an Oiler fan, if Hannifin is gone I want Marner. Let him develop for one more season in the OHL and the WJC. Trade one of Ebs/Yakupov at the end of next season for the best RHD we can get.

Pouliot - RNH - Ebs/Yak
Hall - Draisatl - Marner

officialmark*

As an Oiler fan, if Hannifin is gone I want Marner. Let him develop for one more season in the OHL and the WJC. Trade one of Ebs/Yakupov at the end of next season for the best RHD we can get.

Pouliot - RNH - Ebs/Yak
Hall - Draisatl - Marner

You think by now you'd learn that to win you C, and D. Draft Strome, trade Eberle/Yak anyways.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
You think by now you'd learn that to win you C, and D. Draft Strome, trade Eberle/Yak anyways.

You take BPA at the draft, especially if you are picking that highly.
Also RNH is already a #1C. And Leon Draisatl, the 3rd overall pick last season is a big C. Plus guys like Lander and Yakimov project to be great #3C's for us in the future.
Also, notice that I wrote "If Hanafin is gone", implying I would select him over Marner.

The Oilers have good C prospects, great D prospects, but really no notable wing prospects.
And don't act like wingers aren't important, they definitely are. Going back to the lockout the conne Smythe trophy winners have been:
1 Defenseman (Neidermayer)
2 Centremen (Geno and Toews)
3 Goalies (Thomas, Quick, Ward)
3 Wingers (Williams, Zetterberg, Kane)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Marner is a centre, and a good one at that.

However I think Edmonton would have to go with Hanifan at #3.

Do you feel he would translate well as a C to the NHL? I see him as more of a winger in the big leagues, but admittedly I don't watch him play much.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Do you feel he would translate well as a C to the NHL? I see him as more of a winger in the big leagues, but admittedly I don't watch him play much.
He's a superstar on the wing... but he's even better at center. He's going to play C in the NHL, and a very special one from the looks of it.

Hoping he's there for the Leafs pick. Talent wise he's right there with McDavid and Eichel.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Teams passing up on the most talented players so that they can fill positional needs will fail more often than not. Take the most skilled player and if he proves to be redundant, send him and/or another package to a team so that you can fill the most glaring hole with someone who has proven that they can play in the league. As exciting a player as Marner is (or Strome, or Provorov, or Barzal, etc...) there have been plenty of players who mirrored such successes in juniors/elsewhere only to prove to be whipping boys in the pros. I'm looking at guys like Sam Gagner here, or Brett Connolly, Kostitsyn...

There is nothing set in stone and fans tend to forget that these guys are still children in the scheme of life. It's silly to forget about past draft busts, or letdowns, or whatever descriptor you want to throw into the mix, and act like every top prospect who comes along will absolutely make an impact in the NHL. That's not the case, it never has been, so pick the best damn player.

(Marner is my fav. player in this draft, so take the above how you will)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Teams passing up on the most talented players so that they can fill positional needs will fail more often than not.

If you want to win long-term in the NHL you need defense. Getting a player that could eventually play 25+ minutes a night in all situations against the opposing team's best players will help you win games. Look what Ekblad has done to Florida. Marner is a nice piece for a fresh team that's rebuilding, like the Leafs for example, but a team like Edmonton needs to continue drafting high-caliber defensemen. Getting your defense solidified will make the entire team play better.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London

I don't think he plays center early in his NHL career.. I think it becomes a gradual think for him. Strength wise next year I just don't see him being able to win a draw about the majority of the NHL centermen.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I don't think he plays center early in his NHL career.. I think it becomes a gradual think for him. Strength wise next year I just don't see him being able to win a draw about the majority of the NHL centermen.

He probably takes the seguin route. Eased in as a winger until he's ready to dominate as a center.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If you want to win long-term in the NHL you need defense. Getting a player that could eventually play 25+ minutes a night in all situations against the opposing team's best players will help you win games. Look what Ekblad has done to Florida. Marner is a nice piece for a fresh team that's rebuilding, like the Leafs for example, but a team like Edmonton needs to continue drafting high-caliber defensemen. Getting your defense solidified will make the entire team play better.

I certainly agree - a cursory look at the last few cup winning teams proves this. But you also need - talented forwards, gritty bottom 6ers, a capable goalie, competent coaching, luck...

The Oilers are missing just about every possible piece. Their centre depth is lacking. Their winger depth is lacking. Their D corp is lacking. They don't have a legitimate starting goalie. It's easy to assign a player to your fav. team, but the reality is, until draft day, none of us know what is going to happen. What if they end up picking 4th and Hanifin is gone? Do they take Strome even if the scouting staff likes Marner more? Or drop a hope and a prayer and take Provorov/Werenski ahead of Marner/Strome?

Also - it's something I have said before and will stand by. Look at the top producing defensemen in the NHL right now. Most were taken outside of the 1st round. Defensemen are simply harder to project. Karl Alzner was taken 5th overall in a solid 2007 draft, and there are probably 10 D that were taken after him who proved to be much more meaningful pros. Just because x player is ranked in the top 5, 10, does not mean he is predetermined to become a 25+ minute muncher in the pros. That is why I say you take the best player every time, regardless of what your team needs at that moment in time.

Besides, the Oilers need to stop banking their hopes and dreams on 17-18 year old kids who were in 10th grade a little over a year ago. If they get McDavid or Eichel, I understand the lofty expectations. But the practice of picking really talented kids, flinging them into the league, and hoping for the best without surrounding them with any semblance of a talented veteran presence is utterly insane. It hasn't worked for the last 5 years and it won't work as we head into the next half-decade of their ineptitude. They need to look at the big picture and think about things a little differently, because the current approach has obviously been laughable.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He's a superstar on the wing... but he's even better at center. He's going to play C in the NHL, and a very special one from the looks of it.

Hoping he's there for the Leafs pick. Talent wise he's right there with McDavid and Eichel.

I've a huge Marner fan and I've seen a ton of him. Eichel is somewhat debatable, but no one touches McDavid.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
A no brainer as numbers 3 in the draft. After him it is close between, Rantanen, Strome, Provorov and Kylington. Hanifin feels very overrated.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
A no brainer as numbers 3 in the draft. After him it is close between, Rantanen, Strome, Provorov and Kylington. Hanifin feels very overrated.

My Lordy, you actually think Kylington>Hanifin

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I hope Hockey Canada leaves a spot open on the U18 team in the event the Knights get bounced quickly...

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
Wondering if someone could answer: Has Mitch Marner been playing center in the playoffs for London? Or is he still playing on the wing?

Fulton44*

Hoping like hell people get concerned about his lack of size and he slips to the Flyers at 7. Don't see it happening but hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad