C Mikhail Abramov (2019, 115th, TOR; traded to STL)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Shouldn't the success of Russians who graduated from the CHL like Nikita Kucherov, Andrei Svechnikov, Mikhail Sergachev, Alexander Radulov, Ivan Provorov, Nikita Zadorov, Ivan Barbashev, Dmitri Kulikov, Yakov Trenin, Anton Khudobin, Vladislav Namestnikov make you reconsider the idea that the CHL isn't good for Russians?

That's a lot of recent history clearly showing that your original statement isn't correct.
But Yakupov!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
TBH

I'd rather Abramov was in the KHL rn, but thats just cause he's probably above Q level now

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Shouldn't the success of Russians who graduated from the CHL like Nikita Kucherov, Andrei Svechnikov, Mikhail Sergachev, Alexander Radulov, Ivan Provorov, Nikita Zadorov, Ivan Barbashev, Dmitri Kulikov, Yakov Trenin, Anton Khudobin, Vladislav Namestnikov make you reconsider the idea that the CHL isn't good for Russians?

That's a lot of recent history clearly showing that your original statement isn't correct.

Not too many of those guys spent their overage years in the CHL, which is the main issue as far as I understand it (not being able to play in the AHL at 19/20). Do you really want a 20 year old Radulov putting up 152 points in 62 games against 15/16 year olds when he should be playing pro already?

Defensemen make more sense with their longer development curve, but 1st/2nd round forwards are regularly ready as productive middle-6ers or elite AHL forwards by 20. If someone like Nylander was drafted out of the CHL, what do you do? You don't want him playing 4th line minutes on a last-place team, and you don't want him lazily putting up 2+ PPG against teenagers when he's ready to be a #1C in the AHL already. Even someone like Marner, as much as his D+1 season was good for him, I think he would have had to cut out a lot of the dipsy doodling out of his game if he spent that season in the AHL instead.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Not too many of those guys spent their overage years in the CHL, which is the main issue as far as I understand it (not being able to play in the AHL at 19/20). Do you really want a 20 year old Radulov putting up 152 points in 62 games against 15/16 year olds when he should be playing pro already?

Defensemen make more sense with their longer development curve, but 1st/2nd round forwards are regularly ready as productive middle-6ers or elite AHL forwards by 20. If someone like Nylander was drafted out of the CHL, what do you do? You don't want him playing 4th line minutes on a last-place team, and you don't want him lazily putting up 2+ PPG against teenagers when he's ready to be a #1C in the AHL already. Even someone like Marner, as much as his D+1 season was good for him, I think he would have had to cut out a lot of the dipsy doodling out of his game if he spent that season in the AHL instead.
But Abramov was a fourth rounder and marners dipsey doodling has given him a 94 point season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But Abramov was a fourth rounder and marners dipsey doodling has given him a 94 point season.

I'm not saying the creativity is bad, but he had to reign it a bit in under Babcock in his 2nd and 3rd years. He could have come into the league already knowing what he can get away with against pros.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Lmao!

CHL will ruin him, I thought.

Why are you overly excited for him doing well in the CHL though? The whole argument is based on the fact that the majority of these CHL Russian forwards struggle to transition to the pros, it's not about their junior accomplishments.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why are you overly excited for him doing well in the CHL though? The whole argument is based on the fact that the majority of these CHL Russian forwards struggle to transition to the pros, it's not about their junior accomplishments.

Because players playing well regardless is good. He's playing fantastic in a league that is right for his age.

The true test will be next year when he's on the Marlies. Based on the way he's dominated the QMJHL for a season and a bit now with little to absolutely no help it's pretty clear he may buck the trend recently where non-elite Russian prospects flame out in NA when they come over too early.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Because players playing well regardless is good. He's playing fantastic in a league that is right for his age.

The true test will be next year when he's on the Marlies. Based on the way he's dominated the QMJHL for a season and a bit now with little to absolutely no help it's pretty clear he may buck the trend recently where non-elite Russian prospects flame out in NA when they come over too early.

I hope he bucks the trend as well but still , there is only one thing you can say when it comes to junior prospects and that is nothing is for certain not matter how much they dominate juniors.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I hope he bucks the trend as well but still , there is only one thing you can say when it comes to junior prospects and that is nothing is for certain not matter how much they dominate juniors.

You can say the same thing about literally every player outside the NHL.

It's not outrageous to be excited about a player that's dominating a league they're the right age for.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You can say the same thing about literally every player outside the NHL.

It's not outrageous to be excited about a player that's dominating a league they're the right age for.

It's not outrageous only in this case numerous Russian National team level forwards have been who have come to the CHL have not successfully transferred to pro. This is a reason to not get too ahead of ourselves. Plus the fact he's playing in a weakened QMJHL that's missing almost all of their Americans and Euros and limiting games within the division. It's all these factors together. No one is saying you can't be happy for a prospect but let's just not act yet like he's already a success that's stopped the trend is all I'm saying.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
After being oddly scratched the first two games, he's been on fire the last two games.

I've watched quite a few games of his in the QMJHL and he seems to be bringing it to another level right now.

Reactions: weems

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
His puck handling is even better then what I thought. He looks so smooth carrying it, and his creativity is also really good. We haven't even seen his shot that much yet, which now is one of his better attributes.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
His puck handling is even better then what I thought. He looks so smooth carrying it, and his creativity is also really good. We haven't even seen his shot that much yet, which now is one of his better attributes.

Man posters forget how well Dubas and his team drafts.

We have quite a few gems coming and this kid is one of them.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Man posters forget how well Dubas and his team drafts.

We have quite a few gems coming and this kid is one of them.

sorry what’re you basing this on? How many ‘gems’ outside the first round has Dubas picked over the past several drafts?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00